Ferries from France to Corsica (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
Hi. We are hoping to travel through France and then go to Corsica for 10 days/2 weeks, in May. We've booked our ferries from/to UK/France, but we want to go on spec and not book anything else. My question is - if we turn up at one of the French ports for a ferry to Corsica, is it likely that we would get on one within the next day or two, or would you recommend that we pre book? And then the same coming back to France. We would rather not have to book anything as we have no idea when we'd travel, but if we have to, we will ensure that we work round it. Advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
We drove to Nice a few years ago to take a ferry to Corsica. We could not go the day we got to Nice so went to a site for that night and got a ferry next day. If memory serves me correct I believe we telephoned in the morning and got booked on an afternoon sailing that day. Corsica ferries, Nice to Bastia. There are other destinations and I believe you can now sail from Toulon. We also took our dog and had a cabin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
We drove to Nice a few years ago to take a ferry to Corsica. We could not go the day we got to Nice so went to a site for that night and got a ferry next day. If memory serves me correct I believe we telephoned in the morning and got booked on an afternoon sailing that day. Corsica ferries, Nice to Bastia. There are other destinations and I believe you can now sail from Toulon. We also took our dog and had a cabin.
Thank you for this, good to know, that's probably what we'll do, and good to know you could get a cabin at such short notice too. We have been advised not to take our dogs as the sandflies in south of France and Corsica can cause fatal injuries to dogs....am really going to miss them as they do normally come with us to France. Presumably you had no problem....we are probably overreacting.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Pop into the website sticking in tomorrow's date for a few days on the trot.
I know it won't be a perfect science but it would show you if the ferry was full and not taking bookings.
Then adapt and book 2 days in advance rather than turn up to find the price went up !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
Pop into the website sticking in tomorrow's date for a few days on the trot.
I know it won't be a perfect science but it would show you if the ferry was full and not taking bookings.
Then adapt and book 2 days in advance rather than turn up to find the price went up !
Yes, but March is going to be very different from May!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
We have sailed from Toulon twice now, once to Corsica and the last time (in 2023) to Sardinia.
Both trips were on Corsica Ferries and we found them very agreeable.
The first time we had pre-booked but didn't bother the next time as the whole experience was relaxed. Just turn up at the port and head into the ticket office. For the Sardinia trip last year we arrived with a day to spare and just used S4S to park up for the night,
During the first trip we were island hopping and after touring Corsica made our way to Bonifacio to find out about coming ferries to Sardinia. One was due to leave that evening, a few hours away so we booked the crossing plus cabin.
After that we did the same for the rest of the tour, taking in Sicily, S. Italy and then across the Adriatic to Montenegro. Simples.
Neither time did we think their fares too bad.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Correct, we had the choice of Toulon or Nice but Toulon was more convenient.
The twon is worth a little time as well, there's a rich maritime heritage as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We took the ferry from France to Corsica years ago, pre van and dog. We just turned up at night to book for the next day and they said we could go that night. It was a lovely sail during the night and a magical full moon, we spent quite a while on deck. We booked a day return, my mistake with my French and it was awful I think it was 6 hours and it was rough. I said I would never sail that route again by day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
We have sailed from Toulon twice now, once to Corsica and the last time (in 2023) to Sardinia.
Both trips were on Corsica Ferries and we found them very agreeable.
The first time we had pre-booked but didn't bother the next time as the whole experience was relaxed. Just turn up at the port and head into the ticket office. For the Sardinia trip last year we arrived with a day to spare and just used S4S to park up for the night,
During the first trip we were island hopping and after touring Corsica made our way to Bonifacio to find out about coming ferries to Sardinia. One was due to leave that evening, a few hours away so we booked the crossing plus cabin.
After that we did the same for the rest of the tour, taking in Sicily, S. Italy and then across the Adriatic to Montenegro. Simples.
Neither time did we think their fares too bad.
Brilliant, thanks very much. Don't think we will get to Sardinia but we love Corsica and this will be the first time we've taken our moho there. I think we will take the chance and just turn up at a port. Many thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
Correct, we had the choice of Toulon or Nice but Toulon was more convenient.
The twon is worth a little time as well, there's a rich maritime heritage as well.
I think you can go from Marseille as well? Perhaps that's with a different ferry co though... but thanks for this advice. Toulon sounds good.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Been twice in September with dogs and no problem with sand flies.
I went from Livorno Italy with Moby ferries as it was a shorter crossing (4 hours) with dogs and they could sit on deck with me.

Upvote 0

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
We have been across to Corsica in May the past two years.
As long as you are not fixed on any specific port of arrival in Corsica you should be fine with a last minute booking. The only school holiday period in May is ascension weekend which begins on the 8th or 9th and that might be busy.
Most of the Corsica Ferries routes depart from Toulon; not so many from Nice. Livorno is another good option - a short and much cheaper crossing.
Last year we sailed back from Porto Vecchio to Toulon which was wonderful. It was a beautiful day and we had a landside cabin with a balcony and fabulous views as the ship followed the coast round past Bonifacio.
We are planning to go in September this year.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think you can go from Marseille as well? Perhaps that's with a different ferry co though... but thanks for this advice. Toulon sounds good.
I think (about 80% certain) there is an underwater set of statues about 200m off the beach at Toulon somewhere.
Visible from the surface with a face mask

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Brilliant, thanks very much. Don't think we will get to Sardinia but we love Corsica and this will be the first time we've taken our moho there. I think we will take the chance and just turn up at a port. Many thanks for your help.
It was in Corsica that I first saw a motorhome up close and I loved the idea of travelling that way as I hated the hotels we stayed in on the way up through France. We came home and bought our first Motorhome and have never looked back since. That was 17 years ago.

Upvote 1

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
The discount is valid for the rest of 2024 although you have to book by 14 May. It applies to all routes except for Bonifacio to Santa Teresa

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back