Fault code P0638 (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Management light came on after a very minor misfire that lasted seconds. Got the code read and it is the butterfly regulator, it only happpened after rain and when going over a bumpy part of the road. I fiddled about to see if anything was loose and sprayed with WD40 then started the engine few times. Next morning the light was out for a good few miles, stopped and went for a walk. When I restarted the light was on again but the motor running fine.

So in the camper van in France at the moment, tempted to drive it until either it remains the same and the engine runs fine or it gets worse and there is a definite fault to fix.

Having a bit of a dither as to how serious the problem may develop or just carry on with care. Is this a common problem?

Any experience in this problem would be appreciated.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That sounds like the "rusty throttle body" caused by rain(any) water running down & entering the throttle body. Plenty of threads on here about it. If you can dr it out/keep dry should be ok until you get home .Also needs the rain cover to prevent it happening fitted

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Its the Throttle valve actuator mine my 2009 fiat did it for 6 months I just reset it ,but eventually it will die and strand you so change it soon the Part is £234 from Coastal Motorhomes,, I did it myself ,its only held in by 4 bolts but they rust into the block i had to drill 2 of them out and re tap the threads ,, job time if no busted bolts 1 hour , with busted bolts 4 hours , but my van now runs sweetly ,
, A fiat dealer will charge you £1200, and independent about £700 plus Vat

OP
OP
tidewatcher
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Its the Throttle valve actuator mine my 2009 fiat did it for 6 months I just reset it ,but eventually it will die and strand you so change it soon the Part is £234 from Coastal Motorhomes,, I did it myself ,its only held in by 4 bolts but they rust into the block i had to drill 2 of them out and re tap the threads ,, job time if no busted bolts 1 hour , with busted bolts 4 hours , but my van now runs sweetly ,
, A fiat dealer will charge you £1200, and independent about £700 plus Vat
Thanks. Just came on for the first time so fingers crossed as in France for four weeks more. Restricting mileage which is no real problem along the dordogne and Gironde area as plenty to see. Does take the edge of the enjoyment though.

OP
OP
tidewatcher
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
OK so hobsons choice really. Drive it and keep mileage down to a sensible level ( Pyrenees binned for this trip) and if it does get worse bite the bullet and find a local repairer. Have breakdown cover if it does gasp it’s last to get us to a repairer. Luckily in the wine region….

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Or spray all around it with wd40 regularly, then spray the 4 bolts daily with penetrating oil to ensure they will come out when you want

OP
OP
tidewatcher
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
did some wire wiggling the a good dose of WD40 around the area and light didn’t come on this morning. First start of engine after turning off with light on. Didn’t do the five or so restarts. I think it’s little electronic brain is messing with me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back