Family Ski in Austria? Keen for recommendations (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 14, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Itineo A Class
Exp
10yrs
Hi all,

After 5 years of 'French' skiing, I'm keen for us to try somewhere new for our annual family ski trip.
I like the idea of Austria so am keen for any advice/ idea's on location etc.
It will only be for a week during Feb half term
Needs to be similar distance from Calais to the French Alps, so 10-12hrs
Site rather than Aire, although if the Aire had electric then maybe
We have 2 young teens so near (ish) a town is good

Thanks in advance for any idea's!

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Have a look at Aufenfeld - Zillertal ski are and bus possible to Mayrhofen.
Big site with western vibe. Good pool and restaurant.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I haven't Skied for 20yrs so, the only advice I can give you is, remember that most Austrian resorts are lower than the French ones so snow is less reliable.
(Now that there are more snow making cannons, this advice might be obsolete.)

PS. I prefer the apre ski more in Austria, good luck! 👍

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If your on Facebook there's a group called 'Winterised motorhome, campervan, caravan skiing and boarding '. The admins are a bit pedantic and you have to answer ALL the questions on the joining page or they won't let you in but lots of advice and suggestions on there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Overnighting and parking at the base of the Hintertux glacier just past Mayrhofen, if the snow cover is not as good as it might be. LOTS of vans there last year when the temperature was high.
Screenshot_2024-09-17-17-07-53-77_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
We haven’t been in the van so I can’t advise on that side of things but we had skiing holidays to both obergurgl and Obertauern, they are both great for families and none skiers and have a good variety of runs for every ability. They are both snow sure too.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Overnighting and parking at the base of the Hintertux glacier just past Mayrhofen, if the snow cover is not as good as it might be. LOTS of vans there last year when the temperature was high.View attachment 951253
Many a day my Coach was parked there, I wonder if, like other glaciers, that one has also receded,
(it used to have the largest Gondalas in Austria.)

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Had a good family ski trip in Obergurgl - we drove but in the car. Fair trek but Christmas we’d done Les Houches and comparable
We checked out Solden campsite while we were there. I’d say a good winter site and the ski buses are very regukar

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not Austria but we skied for 35 years before we discovered the sella ronda in Italy don't leave it as long! It's a big interlinked area with nice runs through the trees Italian food at very reasonable for a ski resort prices and just great! There are some good looking campsites

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Look at Serfaus, Fiss, Ladis ski area, they have there own website , pure heaven, stay in ried or prutz campsite, free ski bus👍

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
Campsite on the edge of Mayrhofen was where we went for our first Xmas/New Year motorhome ski trip (and first real trip in the van). Decent site, good shower/toilet blocks, ski bus stops outside (tip, don't get the bus to the main gondola in the town, go the opposite way to the one outside town as it much quieter). Easy enough walk into and back from town in the evenings or non skiing days.

Next trip was to Soelden, one Easter. Campsite was nice, if soggy/muddy, but they supplied pallets to walk on to your door. Again the facilities were first class and it was walkable to the nearest gondola in ski boots.

Third Austria trip was to Schladming, again at a campsite on the edge of town at Xmas/New Year. We ended up in thier car park like aire though as the grass pitches were too soft for most vehicles (they adjusted our price accordingly). Still got elec hook up and drainage/water nearby. A little bit of a trek to the facilities but again very nice. Ski bus stopped outside the site but this time we rented a locker near the main Ski lift and walked the 10/15mins or so in and out of town.

There are very few Aires in Austria, and you tend to be packed closer together in campsites than you'd expect in most other countries. Didn't check last year, but the last time we did the prices for Soelden had increased massively since we went. Campsites in France, even in popular ski areas, seem to be much cheaper than in Austria.

We love Austrian ski resorts though. They tend to have more modern lifts and a nicer feel to the towns. Ski conditions can be, ehm, 'variable', especially on the lower runs. Oh, and if you are at a campsite at New Year in Austria don't expect to get an early night as they go in for fireworks in a BIG way (even if its so foggy you can't see them). New Years Day on the slopes is nice and quiet though 😉

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Had a good family ski trip in Obergurgl - we drove but in the car. Fair trek but Christmas we’d done Les Houches and comparable
We checked out Solden campsite while we were there. I’d say a good winter site and the ski buses are very regular
The campsite at Langenfelt (15 mins downhill from Solden and 30 mins from Obergurgl) is one of the best we have ever stayed at.
Busses up the valley stop at the gates.
Obviously very different in the Winter, but I'd have thought still excellent.

But you may already be too late to book a pitch, as the Germans tend to book high season pitches many months in advance.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When I took Coach parties, my favourite area was Kitzbuhel but as we stayed in hotels, can't help with parking? 🤔

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
One of my Sisters and her Husband have a hotel in Söll, her brother in law has a campsite around the corner, you can get to Söll without a vignette or go box.

View attachment 951271
Very interested.

My brother and my sister have spent every Xmas since they were born just up the road near Ellmau.
We are joining them this year and looking at the possibility of driving out in the motorhome, (or fly and hire a car).

Is the campsite open over Xmas ?
Does every pitch have EHU ?
Should we have booked months ago ?

If we were to do a mix and match, drive there, but actually stay with my family, could the motorhome be left in the carpark outside the campsite for a week ?
(as there is no off street parking in Auwald)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Very interested.

My brother and my sister have spent every Xmas since they were born just up the road near Ellmau.
We are joining them this year and looking at the possibility of driving out in the motorhome, (or fly and hire a car).

Is the campsite open over Xmas ?
Does every pitch have EHU ?
Should we have booked months ago ?

If we were to do a mix and match, drive there, but actually stay with my family, could the motorhome be left in the carpark outside the campsite for a week ?
(as there is no off street parking in Auwald)
You'd need to contact the campsite mate, I've never stayed at it as I stay with my sister when I visit, I just know it belongs to my sisters BIL. They have a website with pricing, just email them with whatever questions you have. It looks nice on the website (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back