Family Motorhome Plan

Eno

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
TBC
Hi everyone,

So looking to do some touring through Europe next year with our kids before school. Some think this is awesome, some think we are insane to want to be in a small(ish) box with 2 small children.

We've rented a few for UK trip and spent a day at the NEC. I think we are decided on layout now;
Single beds to rear with garage under
Dropdown (A-Class) or Overcab (C-Class) double bed
Preferably separate across shower and toilet, but could also go with separates on a single side. No wet bathroom.
Swivel front seats to minimise the railway table feel, mostly an issue on the C-class models considered.
This seems to put us at about 7-7.5m long.

So...
Rimor Bliss 695 Ford
Sunlight I68
Dethleffs I7057
Carado I447

Plenty of others too. Anyone done longer touring trips with kids have layout suggestions?

Big question on payload.
Neither of us have a C1 entitlement, but could consider getting it. Is this seriously worth doing?

Assuming budget of 50-70k for a used model should be enough.

That's plenty as a starter

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
check out the Carabunk bed system for the children, might give you some more options - even just the single bed version might fit in with your planned layouts?

we have an adria 670 slt, which has two singles at the back plus a drop down electric bed over the dining area, it means not having to make beds up, move everyone around when it comes to bedtime !

quality of build is excellent .... there is a similar one on ebay currently (not mine, im not looking to sell !) no idea why it says pardon our interuption as the link?? this one has the garage (ours doesnt) but we have our bathroom right across the back, this one is split, but this one also has self levelling which prob cost over £4k ....

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We have the I6057

I was astounded by the amount of available weight for us on this model. Its still nowhere near enough though and you will have 2 more kids than we take.

If I were in your shoes now, I would be monitoring the possible change in licences that may allow you nippers to drive a motorhome up to 4,250 kgs.

There is some information on here but it still seems to be a lot of conjecture and best educated guesses but there are possibilities the Law may change.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Itineo A Class
Exp
10yrs
I think this is a great idea - we bought our first MoHo when our youngest was 2months old and she's now 14.
Its a great way to enjoy family time together - when the kids were smaller (pre-school), we were averaging over 50 nights way per year, bit tricker when they are at school/

We've done everything from summers in St Tropez or Spain to skiing every year in the ALps with them - and everything in between - music festivals, Christmas markets, walking holidays, Theme park tours (Netherlands is great for this!)

Having had a few vans with different layouts we're now on one that works really well; have you considered looking for one with Bunk Beds? This should really be your #1 choice

Single beds give you less living room area as the beds are longer and longitudinally placed (assume little ones in the single beds?), same issue with fixed doubles.
Plus the stairs up to the fixed singles are a hazard for smaller kids (our friends had a child roll off and down the stairs!)
Rear Lounge layouts work OK if both your kids would share the above cab bed - but this is only good if they are very little.
Bunk Beds give you beds that are more comfy and right sized for the kids, plus you gives you your own space when you need it.

3.5T will be a challenge.. I cannot recommend getting the C1 enough..
We have an Itineo SB740 (this would be perfect for you) - We bought it on a 4250Kgs chassis which gave us an out of the factory payload of almost 800Kgs. I had to upgrade this a few years ago as we were getting too close to the weight limit! But we travel heavy.. Tow bar for 4 x bikes, 2 x scooters, skateboard, Dinghy or Paddleboard, outdoor chairs, outdoor table, spare wheel - thats nearly 300Kg right there without clothes/food/drinks and people..... etc, etc. You would be shocked at how easily it gets eaten up.

Chausson, Benimar, Roller Team, Rimor all do Bunk models - We have an Itineo and they have a few models with bunks and are recommended.

DM me if you have any questions - happy to share our experiences with you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Used to lots of Funsters that took children with them including us, haganap and Jim. It's a great lifestyle for kids. Big tip. If thinking of going to see the Mouse, or Puy du Fou or similar, do it towards the end of the holiday having said zilch in front of the children.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Get your C1 license as it will open up more and better possibilities of vans for your requirements and will be cheaper road tax, please also make sure that all occupants are fully seatbelted in manufacture seats…😎

Good luck as you and all the family will love the adventures…😎

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We did it for years with three kids, as kids got older they slept in small tents, we loved every minute of it as did the kids.
Go for it and enjoy, just remember to make the travelling part of the holiday/adventure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back