Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
The above are seemingly being fitted in the majority of new MOHO's nowadays. are they removeable to recover the lost storage space they take up, also If any funsters have done this I would be interested in how easy/difficult it was to do and if there any potential problems to watch out for.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I don't think it's fraudulent at all. In ours, for example, we have 6 berths and 4 belts. Mum, dad and 2 kids can travel in the MH and maybe grandma and grandad can travel in a car but stay in the MH with them. With ours, I think they may have wanted to sleep as many as they could but restrict the belts to keep the weight down and the payload up. I don't think that's fraudulent, just something that needs thinking about if you're buying a vehicle.
And how many "starry eyed new to motorhoming wanting to live the dream of sunshine holidays" etc will actually take on the seatbelts issue, and understand PAYLOAD fully.
Have been numerous posts in the past on these issues, often from people who have just bought a van to start, and then need to ask these vital questions, when often, it's a bit too late.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
So don’t answer the question, just spout your feelings and make it sound like you know what you talking about.
I’m going to do just as you, all of the above is just words from your mouth that nobody suggested, they are what goes on in your head. If you feel that way why not become an activist against what you see as a fraudulent and corrupt commercial entity.

I will ask you again to supply the needed references to the statement you make to the belts must be greater than the number of beds.
Think the mathematical symbolism is "equel to  OR greater than"
OR, being the important word.
That's what I seem to remember from my skool days doing sums, equations etc.
I actually agree that the fact that if motorhomes are sold with an advertised number of berths, but have less seat belts to accommodate those berths whilst used for travelling ,then the sale of such is at best, sharp practice.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
And how many "starry eyed new to motorhoming wanting to live the dream of sunshine holidays" etc will actually take on the seatbelts issue, and understand PAYLOAD fully.
Have been numerous posts in the past on these issues, often from people who have just bought a van to start, and then need to ask these vital questions, when often, it's a bit too late.

Probably lots, but whose responsibility is it to find out if the MH fits their needs? Surely not the manufacturer/dealer?

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I actually agree that the fact that if motorhomes are sold with an advertised number of berths, but have less seat belts to accommodate those berths whilst used for travelling ,then the sale of such is at best, sharp practice.
Just my thoughts.

I think it's sharp practice, too, but when manufacturers are trying their best to get as much payload as possible, I guess they'll use any trick in the book. Buyer beware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Just my thoughts.
And i totally agree with your "feelings" on the matter but "brains" states this as fact. I would like him to put up the facts.
I think a lot of the industry of leisure vehicles is a gray area, lets just think, the word motorhome or to be more presice motor caravan as v5, how many caravans can carry passengers, none so why expect a motorcaravan to carry any.
Also the driver is responssible fir making sure they comply with law on seat belts and travelling passengers.
Again though i do agree there is far too much gray areas in motorcaravans and the sales that go on.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Same with ours. 6 berths but only 4 belts. It doesn't matter to us but, as you say, it might have done to a newbie.
Ours was like that and it worked well for us as with 4 travelers we could have the two of us in the back and the other two (smaller) doubles were used as large singles.

When we were with family we would meet up at a site and could sleep six in the van plus tents type things set up in the awning. The rest of the family were in their own cars as the family are scattered through the UK.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I think it's sharp practice, too, but when manufacturers are trying their best to get as much payload as possible, I guess they'll use any trick in the book. Buyer beware.
Buyer beware indeed!
Having entertained a few ' viewers' to our van prior to selling, I was amazed at the question from one couple who actually asked
"where you buy a payload from?" They were so infatuated with dreams of where they would be going, what cushion covers would look nice, and other trivia that the essentials were being completely overlooked despite my best efforts to explain how everything worked and how we worked everything regards loading, travelling etc.
And pointing out the extremely well equipped seat belt situation for carrying passengers not only safely, but legally.
To say I was shocked at their lack of BASIC research on motorhomes was an understatement and I was a little relieved that they did not buy it as it seemed a tad too small for their needs, after 3 hours of asking all sorts of ridiculous and irrelevant questions.
The van had full forward facing 3 point belts in excess of their needs for sleeping and travelling ( 4 travelling, 6 belts), but to them they did not even consider this.
I must admit that I was rather scared of their ability to even be able to understand 12v and 240v power, and as for gas, I could see them blowing themselves up with such a lack of basic understanding despite my best efforts to explain all the functions and safety procedures.
It takes all sorts, I suppose.😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back