Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
The above are seemingly being fitted in the majority of new MOHO's nowadays. are they removeable to recover the lost storage space they take up, also If any funsters have done this I would be interested in how easy/difficult it was to do and if there any potential problems to watch out for.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The number of seatbelts needs to be =/> the number of beds.

I don't know about your specific set up, but the space they take up in my motorhome would only gave me extra storage space for one tin can.
It would also devalue the van as any future buyer would expect the correct number of seatbelts.

Also remember: Seatbelts that don't work are MOT failures, so you would need to totally remove them.
Bottom line: Why downgrade your own vehicle ?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The above are seemingly being fitted in the majority of new MOHO's nowadays. are they removeable to recover the lost storage space they take up, also If any funsters have done this I would be interested in how easy/difficult it was to do and if there any potential problems to watch out for.
I've never heard of removable seat belts, admittedly perhaps as I've never looked at new motorhomes.

Do you have a link to manufacturers that are doing this ?

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
This advert mentions foldaway belted seats but I don't understand how they work, as it says they're in the bench seats and I thought it was illegal to have sideways facing belted seats :unsure:

Can someone explain how they work, please?

RGR723 is this the sort of thing you meant?

"....

Another great feature of the Benimar is that you also have two extra seat belted seats underneath both bench seats. This maximises on both space as the seats completely fold down as easy as they up so once you have arrived at your destination you can simply fold down out of the way and enjoy your holiday.

..."

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a 3rd belted seat that folds up under a bench seat, most of the time we have had it removed as it does take up alot of storage room inside the van. It is pretty easy to remove/put back as just 4 bolts, it is quite heavy and doing up the bolts can require another set of hands, we have access to under seat via the garage. Initially we got the dealer to remove but once we saw how easy have done it ourselves since.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
The belted seats face forward, HKF - we had two in our Majestic 155. Folded flat, they don’t take up too much room, and the bench top/side folds flat against the side of the ‘van when the seats are being used……

Edit :- like this

IMG_8064.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This advert mentions foldaway belted seats but I don't understand how they work, as it says they're in the bench seats and I thought it was illegal to have sideways facing belted seats :unsure:

Can someone explain how they work, please?

RGR723 is this the sort of thing you meant?

"....

Another great feature of the Benimar is that you also have two extra seat belted seats underneath both bench seats. This maximises on both space as the seats completely fold down as easy as they up so once you have arrived at your destination you can simply fold down out of the way and enjoy your holiday.

..."

We have a folding pilots seat that fits under the sofa, it’s forward facing. Very nice once set up but have to say it does take a few mins of faffing to do.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My Compactline has the locker option instead of drop-down bed. Even if it had the bed there's insufficient payload for two more people and their 'stuff' so the seatbelts and attendant heavy framing are a waste of payload. The only way it would work if I took two emaciated grandchildren and made them sleep under the awning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We had a belted passenger seat under the bench in our Frankia, yes you read that right. We got a shock when we found it as the sales rep. obviously didn't know it was there. I decided that we would never have another passenger so we had the seat and belt taken out. I have regretted it ever since as we now have elderly family members who are on their own and we could have picked them up and taken them to the coast for the day in the van. You never know what's in the future.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
=/> is 'Equal to / Greater than'
At least as many seatbelts as you have potential beds
Where do you get that statement from?
Many many motorhome are 4 birth but only two travel seats, please do enlighten us

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Many many motorhome are 4 birth but only two travel seats, please do enlighten us
And thereby hangs the problem.
Not enough belts for the number of berths.
So a newbie buying a motorhome for a family of 4 , listed and sold as a 4 berth, will be in for a shock with only 2 belts.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
And thereby hangs the problem.
Not enough belts for the number of berths.
So a newbie buying a motorhome for a family of 4 , listed and sold as a 4 berth, will be in for a shock with only 2 belts.

Same with ours. 6 berths but only 4 belts. It doesn't matter to us but, as you say, it might have done to a newbie.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Same with ours. 6 berths but only 4 belts. It doesn't matter to us but, as you say, it might have done to a newbie.
And have just sold my motorhome with 6 factory fitted seat belts ( 4 x forward facing inertia type, and 2 rear facing lap belts) and listed as 5/6 berth.
Sold it to a solo user.🤔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
Thanks for all the responses, a really interesting range of varied replies. From my point of the question arose primarily because of the loss of payload and space.

When looking a newish 4 berth 3500Kg island bed Bailey with a payload of around 350Kg, which MAY just be ok for a couple travelling light! I noticed the additional folding belted seats. Their substantial construction and weight is effectively reducing the payload that could be recovered if they were removed.

This would also provide some extra storage toward the front of the MOHO which I feel would probably give better weight distribution overall rather than lumping everything under the bed and in the rear garage.

I believe it is is now a manufactures sales Mantra to be able to say 'Berths match Travelling seats', the dealer did say that the vehicle could not be ordered without them.

Another visit is called for to see how difficult a job it is to actually remove them.

Once again thanks for all the responses.

RGR723

Those in the picture posted by Andy PK really demonstrate my point.

cyberyacht in his reply post also makes the point succinctly!

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
They must like a lot of space, like we do :)
Think it is going to be used as accommodation and a base whilst working away on various building sites and not used as a touring/holidaying vehicle.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Think it is going to be used as accommodation and a base whilst working away on various building sites and not used as a touring/holidaying vehicle.
A lot of people living in camper vans on streets these days due to high rents etc. causing loads of complaints from residents but nothing legally they do about it for now as it is not against the law to park on a street.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Us too, we had a big dog when we bought Frankie and had to have the fixed table removed so he could have the floor space:h:

We work in ours as well as having our little dog. One priority was as much floor space as we could get, so we weren't always stepping over our dog or shuffling along sideways. The layout we have works perfectly for us :)

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If (as a Newbie) you bought such a beast, how are the two kids supposed to come on the holiday ?

Is the intention to say ' just bring the kids, seat belts are for wimps anyway'
&/or
Bring the kids and all their kit, you'll never get stopped if you are 4,000 kg rather than the max 3500kg it plated at and you licence permits.

I would suggest selling a 4 berth van with only 2 belted seats, was fraudulent.
Number of belted seats needs to equal to, or be greater than, the number of beds.

If the number is less this should raise massive red flags, that should be covered by any review and also by the sales team.
I would also ask the design team what on earth their intentions were.

I presume they will also be selling 200 theatre tickets where only 100 are available.
It's called fraud in most other sectors.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I don't think it's fraudulent at all. In ours, for example, we have 6 berths and 4 belts. Mum, dad and 2 kids can travel in the MH and maybe grandma and grandad can travel in a car but stay in the MH with them. With ours, I think they may have wanted to sleep as many as they could but restrict the belts to keep the weight down and the payload up. I don't think that's fraudulent, just something that needs thinking about if you're buying a vehicle.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
If (as a Newbie) you bought such a beast, how are the two kids supposed to come on the holiday ?

Is the intention to say ' just bring the kids, seat belts are for wimps anyway'
&/or
Bring the kids and all their kit, you'll never get stopped if you are 4,000 kg rather than the max 3500kg it plated at and you licence permits.

I would suggest selling a 4 berth van with only 2 belted seats, was fraudulent.
Number of belted seats needs to equal to, or be greater than, the number of beds.

If the number is less this should raise massive red flags, that should be covered by any review and also by the sales team.
I would also ask the design team what on earth their intentions were.

I presume they will also be selling 200 theatre tickets where only 100 are available.
It's called fraud in most other sectors.
So don’t answer the question, just spout your feelings and make it sound like you know what you talking about.
I’m going to do just as you, all of the above is just words from your mouth that nobody suggested, they are what goes on in your head. If you feel that way why not become an activist against what you see as a fraudulent and corrupt commercial entity.

I will ask you again to supply the needed references to the statement you make to the belts must be greater than the number of beds.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back