Extra battery or Solar panel or both and which one first? (13 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Just to play devil's advocate then...

Is a higher capacity battery for the mobility scooter an option? If so, that would not only extend the range of the scooter but also put the extra power where it's actually required.

If not, then how about a power bank? Could potentially have other uses and is more flexible than adding a battery to the van and again could be carried on the mobility scooter in order to extend the range or to allow charging while not at the van.

Just thinking out loud really.

DIY of the panels is entirely possible, but I'd advise against it if you aren't confident. None of it is terribly complex but if you get it wrong you can damage your MPPT controller and worse still (IMO) end up with water leaking through your roof...

We've looked at upgrading the mobility scooter battery but sadly not possible, I'd have to have one built.
Power bank I've investigated before and not something I want to invest in to be honest, something else for me to lug about and hurt my back which I cannot risk, plus somewhere to store etc etc, I've ruled them out.

But are you stationary on UK Aires or pub car parks for your existing set up to be inadequate? If not you wouldn't need to put the panel out!

True, though then I have a panel I have to find somewhere to store / move etc more of the time than not, so if solars the way to go I'd rather "fit and forget" I think.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Which I believe needs to be the same ie 100w? I'm overthinking this I think but Im assuming any 100w will do, doesn't have to be same make? I
The output voltage is move important when paralleling panels. Try to get another panel with an on load voltage within ½ +v of your current panel for minium loss.
I thought if adding another battery it should be same capacity? I may have misread that somewhere though.
No doesn't need to be the same capacity or make.

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
We've looked at upgrading the mobility scooter battery but sadly not possible, I'd have to have one built.
Power bank I've investigated before and not something I want to invest in to be honest, something else for me to lug about and hurt my back which I cannot risk, plus somewhere to store etc etc, I've ruled them out.

Sounds like you're a step ahead of my thought process!

Based on what you've said, I would be leaning towards an extra battery then. You're really only looking to be able to occasionally extend the number of mobility scooter charges on a few rare occasions when you're stood still for longer than your normal 2-3 days.

That's ultimately similar to what I've done with mine based on a worst case scenario where I have to run the engine for half an hour while parked.

I went for the CTEK DS250E with the Smartpass which was the best I could find 5 years ago and it will put 120A charge into the batteries - so half an hour of running the engine gives me 60A of usable power which is pretty decent!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back