Explain this!! Electrical drain overnight! (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
So I rolled up to an aire yesterday, 56% on the batteries (600ah lithium) I was next to the leccy bollard which had €1.99 credit on it so I plugged it in and began charging up to around 80%. The weather was atrocious so I put another €2.00 to bring it up to around 100% and that was around 8.00pm. We went out for dinner and the balance was €0.00 BUT left the plug in, came back and watched two hours worth of tv (12v) and went to bed, still with ehu lead plugged in! Woke up this morning NOTHING that’s 240v plugged in, only usual phone charging and 12v FF in garage, alde OFF, fridge on gas and my batteries was 26% so it’s used around 65-70% overnight!!
Can anyone explain this??? Lenny HB RogerIvy anyone??

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
How far apart (or similar) are the BMS with the shunt?
When the batteries got to 100% were they still receiving charge or had the BMS reached over-voltage-protection?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Battery 1 36 soc
IMG_7271.png

Battery 2 34 soc
IMG_7272.png

Shunt 29% Soc
IMG_7270.png

I’ve just shoved a few euros in the meter and it’s charging again!
I just don’t understand what’s zapped all the power, has the bollard took it back cos I didn’t unplug the lead? Has some unscrupulous German sucked my power out of my van in the night😁😁🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
What have you got plugged in that's drawing 40 & 78 amps Adi, as that will suck the life out of your battery fairly quickly.
Nothing that I don’t use every day atm iPhone and watch charging, compressor FF in garage (that’s always plugged in) 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Check if your fridge is set to 12v
Something sucked the power out.
Also, as the shunt is so far from the BMS I doubt the batteries got to 100%
Yeah that’s what’s puzzling, the fridge is on gas, the compressor FF in the garage is always on, Alde off.
We’ll have a chat at lincoln👍👍
It did. this once before and went down to 57% so I asked uncle Lenny HB First thing he said is the alde on, and yea it was on electric🤦‍♂️ but last night it was turned off altogether🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What have you got plugged in that's drawing 40 & 78 amps Adi, as that will suck the life out of your battery fairly quickly.
Isn't that while he is plugged in so it's amps going in not out, our Victron show - when amps are out.

EDIT Lenny typed it while I was checking my Victron app to make sure it did show - on discharge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No the alde is off
The Alde is about the only thing in your van that would take that amount of current. Even the fridge running from the inverter wouldn't use that much.

Have you got the timer set on the Alde for hot water or heating & you have cocked up the settings?

At least you have the Multiplus and can get a decent charge back into the batteries quick. (my reason for fitting one MichaelT)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
I make it a habit just before hitting the sack to do a last check on SOC and more importantly what current is being drawn from the batteries. That way I avoid surprises. Even things like laptops draw a surprising amount of power and Soc if left on.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
According to your shunt you used 402.6ahs since your last full charge that's a lot of current, if you are sure that you have nothing substantial left on overnight there must be a faulty diode somewhere that is allowing a flow back to earth I would think.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
The Alde is about the only thing in your van that would take that amount of current. Even the fridge running from the inverter wouldn't use that much.

Have you got the timer set on the Alde for hot water of heating d you have clocked up the settings?

At least you have the Multiplus and can get a decent charge back into the batteries quick. (my reason for fitting one MichaelT)
Alde definitely off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back