Eurotunnel work to rule still on? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Lunchtime news stated that people should only use Eurostar from Paris to London unless absolutely necessary, which doesn't sound encouraging for Eurotunnel users. We are booked on it next week, so I'm starting to wonder should I book a ferry instead. I know they laid on 50% extra ferries for some obscure reason, something call - what was it, blexit or something (I heard it on China news).

Is anyone using it at the moment? Any feedback?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Eurotunnel is not the same as Eurostar
We came through the tunnel a few days ago with little delay

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Quite. Good to know that the tunnel is not affected by Eurostars problems, thanks.

It's hit and miss as the French stage work to rules. Someone went through 3 days ago and had a 2 hour delay french side checking in. Others have posted on fun that at other times they went straight through.
I am back on the ferry Calais - Dover on Wednesday, fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's hit and miss as the French stage work to rules. Someone went through 3 days ago and had a 2 hour delay french side checking in. Others have posted on fun that at other times they went straight through.
I am back on the ferry Calais - Dover on Wednesday, fingers crossed.
Mine's the Weds after. Knowing the French, rebooking a ferry might be out of the frying pan into the fire, anyway.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not worth worrying about if we’re delayed there’s nothing we can do but wait(y)(y)(y)
We’re due there on 28th

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We went through a week ago there was no one in the French customs office we drove straight through no delay

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Not worth worrying about if we’re delayed there’s nothing we can do but wait(y)(y)(y)
We’re due there on 28th
We usually seem to have to wait, sometimes for undisclosed train problems. Usually try to get there early, in the old days they'd let you on the first available, but recently they want us to pay extra. They've got wise to it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A lot of people in my office have been affected by the French actions.

As a result many have joined my boycott(y)

I really don’t know who the French think they are.

#sodoff

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We came through Folkestone to Calais on Saturday. The trains were delayed about 15 minutes due to an earlier train cancellation. The only earlier train available to us was 15 minutes earlier than booked

The French Customs station was empty and no delays

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

#sodoff
Bet you still bought your lunch from Pret

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

#sodoff
You will be delighted to know that it took over an hour to clear customs at CDG airport this afternoon, thanks to our snail consuming friends having a work to rule; the arrivals hall was chaos with the douaniers insisting on x-raying everyone’s baggage. I’m not ashamed to say that an American guy and myself got so fed up that we simply elbowed our way to the front*** and probably saved half an hour. Not popular but was utterly fed up.

***No French people were hurt in the making of this post. It reminded me of why I avoid CDG airport if at all possible. Utterly ghastly place; almost as bad as LAX

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We came through the tunnel on Friday morning, Coquelles to Folkestone. There was a major problem getting into the check in (even though we started at Cite d'Europe) because trucks were queuing on the motorway and obstructing the non-freight access lanes. I believe the queues were caused by French work to rule, but although the freight check-in was heaving, the non-freight was nearly empty.

After a couple of laps, we eventually accessed the check-in through the pet reception area when the gate opened just before 07:00. We were allocated a train an hour earlier than our booked crossing, at no charge. After the check-in there was an extra security check, which involved stopping half a dozen vehicles while 3 officers had a gossip before waving us forward! Otherwise, no problem and the trains seemed to be on time.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We came back through the Tunnel on Saturday afternoon.

We had a wait at Passport Control (French), with only one booth in operation for some time. Then they eventually opened a second one. Still not adequate for the tailback.

French Customs then held us at their check point, letting us through in batches.

Once we arrived at the Terminal it was obvious from the Announcement Boards that there had been delays during the afternoon but Eurotunnel themselves were doing their best to catch up.

We actually left a little earlier than our scheduled time, although we had arrived two hours early in the hope of getting an earlier train.

The industrial action appears to be instituted at short notice.

Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back