Eurotunnel, arrival earlier than 2 hours before booking. (33 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We have never in all the years of using ET got the train we have booked, always an earlier one, sometimes many hours earlier. We have also never paid extra for it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Arrived a few times and had random push forwards on earlier train, sometimes not... but I've never outright asked.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I've decided i am going to arrice at Calais's end of the tunnel bout 6-6.30pm before it goes dark.
If they say your not on they can reverse the bloody truck and trailer back themselfs (only those that have tried will know whot i mean)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If they do turn you away, you do not have to reverse. They send you down a slip road back out. Head to Cocquelles where you can park up for a short while. There is a hypermarket and other stuff there. Then just loop round to pick up the Autoroute and straight onto the back of the queue if it's busy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have also frequently been offered an earlier train, both at Calais and at Folkestone. More likely in off-season. As we tow a trailer, we tend to get our allotted time at Coquelles, but at Folkestone, quite often. Not sure how that will be affected by the EES which is coming in from Sunday 10th November this year.

Just a point to note about the Carrefour Hypermarket round the corner at Coquelles. There is an area that is designed for motorhomes. However, when the Hypermarket is closed, (Mon-Sat 08:30 to 21:00, Sun 09:00 - 12:30) they will frequently shut all the car parks and chain them off. Most of the other parks in the area have height restrictions on them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
been offered earlier trains when turning up around 2 hours before cheapest was 71 pounds declined.
I've decided i am going to arrice at Calais's end of the tunnel bout 6-6.30pm before it goes dark.
If they say your not on they can reverse the bloody truck and trailer back themselfs (only those that have tried will know whot i mean)
As said you don't have to reverse straight back out forwards. Same at dover .I turned up 4 hours early once. offered another boat but to calais which I didn't want, so it was leave.& come back

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have also frequently been offered an earlier train, both at Calais and at Folkestone. More likely in off-season. As we tow a trailer, we tend to get our allotted time at Coquelles, but at Folkestone, quite often. Not sure how that will be affected by the EES which is coming in from Sunday 10th November this year.

Just a point to note about the Carrefour Hypermarket round the corner at Coquelles. There is an area that is designed for motorhomes. However, when the Hypermarket is closed, (Mon-Sat 08:30 to 21:00, Sun 09:00 - 12:30) they will frequently shut all the car parks and chain them off. Most of the other parks in the area have height restrictions on them.
I must be going mad. Could have sworn it was an Auchan hypermarket. Used to do cheap fuel on the other side of the road.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I must be going mad. Could have sworn it was an Auchan hypermarket. Used to do cheap fuel on the other side of the road.
No, you are not mad! There is also an Auchan a half a klick north of the terminal area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I have an ordinary ticket, no flex etc.

Guidance says to arrive no more than 2 hours before departure time. Has anyone arrived really early e.g. 3 or 4 hours before? What happened, did they let you in or were you refused entry?

Crossing tomorrow but the way things have worked out I can be there 4 hours early. If I could get a much earlier train then more travel time on the other side. Normally we arrive around the 2 hours and they bump us onto an earlier train when we check into the pet reception centre.

Appreciate advice from those who have arrived early and experienced this.
When I used to use the tunnel (not any more, too expensive) I did arrived around 4 hours early than my booking (not a flex ticket) and was told I could either pay an additional cost, or wait in the car park until at least 2 hours before my booking,
I have used DFDS Ferries the past 5years and their pricing is much fairer......Just my experience.

Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
I have an ordinary ticket, no flex etc.

Guidance says to arrive no more than 2 hours before departure time. Has anyone arrived really early e.g. 3 or 4 hours before? What happened, did they let you in or were you refused entry?

Crossing tomorrow but the way things have worked out I can be there 4 hours early. If I could get a much earlier train then more travel time on the other side. Normally we arrive around the 2 hours and they bump us onto an earlier train when we check into the pet reception centre.

Appreciate advice from those who have arrived early and experienced this.
Always worth an ask. If you can't get on and you have a fee hours to play with go and visit the lidl on the other side of Folkestone and top up with bottled water and cleaning supplies!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back