European Vets that have issued EU Pet Passports to Brits since Brexit (2 Viewers)

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
We travelled to Belgium for a pre-arranged appointment on 25/05/22 for 2x rabies boosters, 2x tapeworm tablets for return to U.K. and one new EU pet passport to replace a U.K. passport. When booking I was absolutely explicit and open about the circumstances so more than a little taken aback when we arrived to be told by the vet - the one who had emailed us confirming that he would be able to do all that and quoting a price - that he could not issue an EU passport for a dog that wasn't resident in the EU. If we wanted to do that we would have to register the dog to a Belgian owner who would have to apply for the passport etc etc. He was absolutely immovable on this and said it is EU policy (note, not law but policy). We were unable to get a new passport before returning to the U.K., very disappointed/annoyed etc etc.

It does underline the importance of people keeping this Forum up-to-date with their experience.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are currently heading for Calais after nearly four weeks in Germany and having read a number of replies to threads mentioning Dr Christian Marks we diverted by Bernkastel-Kues this morning. Now he is a character alright but I was a little taken back by his attitude.
He acted as though he had never seen an AHC before and kept asking us where he should fill in the worming tablet details. Throughout he was pleasant and his jokes were funny, but not for the easily offended (which we are not).
His attitude toward the PP was why do you want a German one. We had an address in 🇪🇸 which he was reluctant to do, “I don’t want to get into trouble with the authorities”.
In the end he did everything but acted as though he had never done this before. It was almost like an act, but there was no one there in the surgery to witness it other than us. We arrived at 0830 and were clearly his first patients and there was no one waiting when we left.
He wrote on the AHC, “the animal is fit to travel and return to the islands of the Queen”, I am assuming this wasn’t necessary or usual.
I have been through both the AHC and PP and to my innocent eye they appear ok, but I am left a little nervous now. I honestly think we didn’t upset him, he was very friendly and cheerful throughout but decidedly odd.
The total charge was €60.
Sounds a bit strange but hopefully he has completed the new pet passport properly. You might have already done so but if you haven’t I would suggest checking against the ‘How to Complete Pet Passports’ booklet. I have uploaded the file below.

We will be visiting him in about a week’s time to get Nix’s worming done - she has a French pet passport so we will see what he makes of that ……. This will be our first visit to his surgery so fingers crossed. :laughing:

Attachments

• How to Complete Pet Passports.pdf
    679.2 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We travelled to Belgium for a pre-arranged appointment on 25/05/22 for 2x rabies boosters, 2x tapeworm tablets for return to U.K. and one new EU pet passport to replace a U.K. passport. When booking I was absolutely explicit and open about the circumstances so more than a little taken aback when we arrived to be told by the vet - the one who had emailed us confirming that he would be able to do all that and quoting a price - that he could not issue an EU passport for a dog that wasn't resident in the EU. If we wanted to do that we would have to register the dog to a Belgian owner who would have to apply for the passport etc etc. He was absolutely immovable on this and said it is EU policy (note, not law but policy). We were unable to get a new passport before returning to the U.K., very disappointed/annoyed etc etc.

It does underline the importance of people keeping this Forum up-to-date with their experience.
Many thanks for your account - and I feel your pain and anger, especially as the vet in question had told you previously that he would issue the pet passport. :RollEyes:

As you say, there is no EU law restricting the issue of pet passports only to EU residents. It would be useful to know just what ‘policy’ he is citing. It often seems to be the case that vets state it is against some ‘directive’ or ‘policy’ or whatever, but these are never made public. If we are supposed to comply with something it should be readily accessible.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Sounds a bit strange but hopefully he has completed the new pet passport properly. You might have already done so but if you haven’t I would suggest checking against the ‘How to Complete Pet Passports’ booklet. I have uploaded the file below.

We will be visiting him in about a week’s time to get Nix’s worming done - she has a French pet passport so we will see what he makes of that ……. This will be our first visit to his surgery so fingers crossed. :laughing:
Many thanks for this.
The only thing I can see is that the valid from date in the new rabies vacc details isn’t 21 days after injection ( ie today plus 21 days = 20th June 2022) but as we won’t be using it before that date I’m assuming that’s not a problem.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001

Please can you give us the vets details to save anymore wasted journeys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Many thanks for this.
The only thing I can see is that the valid from date in the new rabies vacc details isn’t 21 days after injection ( ie today plus 21 days = 20th June 2022) but as we won’t be using it before that date I’m assuming that’s not a problem.
Do you mean that he has entered the ‘valid from’ date the same as the ‘date of vaccination‘? That is fine because it is a booster and not the primary vaccination. However, because it is the first vaccination in a new pet passport you may get asked at Pet Reception for proof of continuity of vaccinations, which would be the AHC. There have been instances where Pet Reception have insisted that the new pet passport cannot be used until 21 days have elapsed even with proof of continuity. As you say, this will not affect you but for anyone who might be affected you can use just the AHC to return to the UK. However, this would mean that you can’t ’test’ the pet passport, and so I would just ask the Pet Reception staff to confirm that the newly issued pet passport was fine for future travel.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
......I honestly think we didn’t upset him, he was very friendly and cheerful throughout but decidedly odd.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

That's Christian for you.

He doesn't know you from Adam, I would imagine that he's just covering his own backside with some of his comments and others will be for his own entertainment ;)

Cheers
Red.

• Funny
Reactions: maz
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
We are currently heading for Calais after nearly four weeks in Germany and having read a number of replies to threads mentioning Dr Christian Marks we diverted by Bernkastel-Kues this morning. Now he is a character alright but I was a little taken back by his attitude.
He acted as though he had never seen an AHC before and kept asking us where he should fill in the worming tablet details. Throughout he was pleasant and his jokes were funny, but not for the easily offended (which we are not).
His attitude toward the PP was why do you want a German one. We had an address in 🇪🇸 which he was reluctant to do, “I don’t want to get into trouble with the authorities”.
In the end he did everything but acted as though he had never done this before. It was almost like an act, but there was no one there in the surgery to witness it other than us. We arrived at 0830 and were clearly his first patients and there was no one waiting when we left.
He wrote on the AHC, “the animal is fit to travel and return to the islands of the Queen”, I am assuming this wasn’t necessary or usual.
I have been through both the AHC and PP and to my innocent eye they appear ok, but I am left a little nervous now. I honestly think we didn’t upset him, he was very friendly and cheerful throughout but decidedly odd.
He is some guy Mr Christian Marks:giggle:
He has a way about him and a sense of humor that others may feel offended by. We certainly don't and we've been to him 3 times over the last 5 years. He has an obvious dislike of all things French but hey who doesn't:LOL:
We are going over in August and was thinking about asking him for a Pet Passport but Im not sure how it will work with the rabies jags which are due in June 2023.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are going over in August and was thinking about asking him for a Pet Passport but Im not sure how it will work with the rabies jags which are due in June 2023.
I wouldn’t have thought there would be any problem with getting a rabies booster 10 months early on a 3-year vaccination.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
There definitely isn't.

Cheers
Red

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years

The vet in question - and so to be avoided in light of the above - is Alex Salomez in De Panne, Belgium. His website is https://www.wvlo.be/dedierendokter/. He speaks extremely good English so there was no misunderstanding.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to update this, Petsworld now charge a €21 admin fee on top of the cost of the PP etc so to get one with a 3 year rabies jab will cost €51 now.

Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Posted on separate post and asked to put here as well.

Travelling through Portugal on the N2 and happened to be stopped in a great new Aire/motorhome stopover with all services including 40 amp electric totally free. I think should be a charge for the stop, but certainly not at the moment.

In any case stuck head through door of animal24@sopa.pt here in Montágu and the lovely Dr Luis Ferreira was happy to issue a shiny new European (Portugal) Pet passport for €41.60.

Happy to transpose our own UK rabies vaccine without insisting on a new one. Didn’t need a Portuguese or European address. Happily added our dog’s chip details onto the register using our UK based address.

Highly recommended. Fluent English. Polite and helpful. And almost didn’t stick my head through the Vets door as we just happened to be walking past, but now glad I did.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Hi Folks,
Picked up the Animal Health Certificate from Abbeywells in Folkestone yesterday, prompt at 10 a.m totally painless and we parked in the car park at the rear of their practice without a problem, we had arrived at about 8.00 a.m but that was largely due to the fact that from where we live we need to leave early to avoid the traffic around the M25 at Heathrow etc!
We then went via the Channel Tunnel and arrived in Bruges and stopped over.
Appointment this morning at 8.45 at diernartsderyke vets where I met the vet, Lieve, she was absolutely brilliant, spoke perfect English. 3 year Rabies jab and passport completed. She assured me she had completed several for English people.
Cost was 77€, tapeworm treatment not needed as we are travelling on and not returning until June.
I parked in the nearby Lidl and it was a 15 minute walk to her practice.
I would point out that there is ample parking outside her practice and in the general area, plenty of room for motorhomes. She did tell me she had neglected to put that on her web site,
If I had have known it would have saved me the walk through the snow and rain, my fellow funsters can benefit from my experience!
We don’t return to the UK until June so I will use the new passport then, with the AHC as a back up but I honestly don’t imagine there will be a problem.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Warning !!! ⚠️
We have Betty's EU passport and are on our way back from Italy ski trip.
Stopped at Fussen in one of the 3 Aires that are here. There's a vet right next door "smart vets"

Knocked the door, and a vet who spoke good English answered. We asked if he would do our worming treatment for the PP we have.

Then came a volley of questions,
Are you Belgium? No but my dog is I replied.
How do you have a passport? I said we have a place there too.
He was rather accusatory and blunt. Could see it in his tone and actions.
I told him that I was Portuguese (which I am) my dog was Belgium my wife was English and we just need it doing.
He did it, wasn't nice but did it. He then started questioning us about the AHC stating that he has heard people paying 300 pounds for it. I said we had one and it was £85 when it was done.
He then told us that we would also need the AHC for getting back in to the UK. We smiled and didn't bother arguing with him. He clearly had no idea about the AHC.

Anyhow. He then charged us 83e for worming I had to tell him to scan Betty as he hadn't done !! Betty is 50kg
I told him we didn't have that much cash and Nikki managed to negotiate everything in her purse for 55e.

Clearly tried it on but left me worried about our upcoming ferry crossing..

Avoid avoid avoid

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Used in January this year. Spoke good English. Free overnight parking on the beach 400m away. 81 euros for Passport, rabies, jab and worming tablet. Used the address of the campsite just past the free stopover.
IMG_20230113_131605450.jpg

Last edited:

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Used this one, which seems to be popular with returning Brits, for the return journey 8 weeks later. 23 euros for worming tablet.

Clinique Vétérinaire des Cateliers - Seren'vet, ZA Cateliers, 76750 Buchy. Tel. 02 35 34 40 06

It's on an industrial estate and have there own car park, big enough for our 7.5m.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Please see the above post.
Bramidan
many thanks, just hoping Leives holidays don’t clash with ours.
she doesn’t know what time she is going to take off yet so won’t be able to book till August for our September holiday.
Enjoy the new passport!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
On Thursday 9th March 2023 (return date via Calais - Dover ferry DFDS on Monday 13th March 2023)
Got our pooch a:
New European Pet Passport (with our home address in the UK)
3 Year Rabies Vaccine (She transferred details of his British rabies details into the new Passport as well)
Worming tablet
His British AHC stamped for the return (Because the rabies injection she gave was less than 3 weeks before our return
for 67 euro's
The vet spoke good English
However when my wife rang to book the appointment we had to wait a bit whilst another lady came to the phone who spoke English

We went to the Vets in Arlon Belgium
Dr Coupez/ Dr Lambot
Route de Bastogne
310 - 6700 Arlon

We parked overnight in the aire behind the fire station (free electric hook up and toilet dump Water tap off for winter)
Vets is a 3 minute drive away .
We followed our sat Nav
However the vets is down a dead end street the other side of a dual carriageway.
Entrance to the dead end is from the first roundabout you come to.
Our sat nav took us past this and then got its knickers in a twist trying to direct us into making a U turn where no existed.

Easy Parking near the vets even for a biggish motorhome

All in all very easy

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
We got ours done 18 months ago at a vets in France, but I'm interested if anyone has hopped over to Ireland? Can the NI vets issue one? I don't think you'd need an AHC currently to get over first....?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Warning !!! ⚠️
We have Betty's EU passport and are on our way back from Italy ski trip.
Stopped at Fussen in one of the 3 Aires that are here. There's a vet right next door "smart vets"

Knocked the door, and a vet who spoke good English answered. We asked if he would do our worming treatment for the PP we have.

Then came a volley of questions,
Are you Belgium? No but my dog is I replied.
How do you have a passport? I said we have a place there too.
He was rather accusatory and blunt. Could see it in his tone and actions.
I told him that I was Portuguese (which I am) my dog was Belgium my wife was English and we just need it doing.
He did it, wasn't nice but did it. He then started questioning us about the AHC stating that he has heard people paying 300 pounds for it. I said we had one and it was £85 when it was done.
He then told us that we would also need the AHC for getting back in to the UK. We smiled and didn't bother arguing with him. He clearly had no idea about the AHC.

Anyhow. He then charged us 83e for worming I had to tell him to scan Betty as he hadn't done !! Betty is 50kg
I told him we didn't have that much cash and Nikki managed to negotiate everything in her purse for 55e.

Clearly tried it on but left me worried about our upcoming ferry crossing..

Avoid avoid avoid
€83 for worming one dog!! He is extracting the urine. We usually pay around €20 for two.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We got our pet passports at the Zu vets in Tomar, Portugal. We had to get a booster Rabies jab as they wouldn’t/couldn’t legally just copy the UK data over. They used our Portugal address but we’re equally happy to use our UK address.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
€83 for worming one dog!! He is extracting the urine. We usually pay around €20 for two.
We paid €57 to get the “Return to the UK” tablets done for our two dogs at a vets in Evreux, data entered into our Pt Pet Passports. We could have saved ourselves about €30 if we had had the right tablet with us!

vets was

Off the N154 going north from Tours to Rouen (one of the non toll routes back to Calais from the south)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back