European road trip! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
My wife and I are going on our first road trip in the motorhome (Cassandra) through Europe at the end of August, I’m looking for a few stop off’s along the way through France and Germany as we have bookings in Slovenia and Croatia!! You guys seem like the perfect people to ask as you have so much more experience than we do! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys
Simon & Amy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think you need to narrow it down a little , give us an idea on the route you have planned then do you want sites or are you ok with aire type stop overs

Planning is part of the fun for me, but often left till the day depending on where we have got to

Get yourself at least one app for sites / stop overs, we use search for sites others park 4 night, camper contact used to be popular but doesn’t get as many mentions now 👍

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
My wife and I are going on our first road trip in the motorhome (Cassandra) through Europe at the end of August, I’m looking for a few stop off’s along the way through France and Germany as we have bookings in Slovenia and Croatia!! You guys seem like the perfect people to ask as you have so much more experience than we do! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys
Simon & Amy
We did the same trip last Autumn. We took about 12 weeks so explored along the way, as well as having plenty of time in both Slovenia and Croatia.

I'd recommend using the 'Alpinestrasse" historic driving route through Bavaria - takes in the German and Austrian Alps. Need to be fairly confident with mountain roads and hairpin bends though.

Lake Constance and Salzburg are close to this route, as is Fussen for the fairytale castles.

OP
OP
Simon1981
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
I think you need to narrow it down a little , give us an idea on the route you have planned then do you want sites or are you ok with aire type stop overs

Planning is part of the fun for me, but often left till the day depending on where we have got to

Get yourself at least one app for sites / stop overs, we use search for sites others park 4 night, camper contact used to be popular but doesn’t get as many mentions now

Get yourself at least one app for sites / stop overs, we use search for sites others park 4 night, camper contact used to be popular but doesn’t get as many mentions now 👍
Thanks for the reply, I was very vague 😂 we were going to follow the French/German border unless someone had a better idea? We have pitch up and park for night but would be happy for any other suggestions

OP
OP
Simon1981
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
We did the same trip last Autumn. We took about 12 weeks so explored along the way, as well as having plenty of time in both Slovenia and Croatia.

I'd recommend using the 'Alpinestrasse" historic driving route through Bavaria - takes in the German and Austrian Alps. Need to be fairly confident with mountain roads and hairpin bends though.

Lake Constance and Salzburg are close to this route, as is Fussen for the fairytale castles.

Wow this looks like just the thing that we are looking for but I might have to research the roads as we on had the van 18 months, I’m confident but am I being overly confident to take this on as a beginner? Is free camping accessible on this route or would we have to book sites

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We stayed at a combination of Stellplatz and free parking ups on the way through Germany. Nothing booked in advance. The only place where you might have difficulty is Fussen as all the private Stellplatz there are extremely busy, (despite being fairly pricey), but we got a place ok.

The Alpinestrasse itself is pretty easy to drive, even the fabled Grossglockner tolled section (60 seat coaches tear down it), but there are a number of roads that are more challenging as you progress into Slovenia depending on the route you take, notably the Wurzen Pass in Austria and Vrisc Pass in Slovenia. See this thread -

Thread 'Wurzen Pass Austria and Vrisc Pass in Slovenia advice ?' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ria-and-vrisc-pass-in-slovenia-advice.302502/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon1981
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
We stayed at a combination of Stellplatz and free parking ups on the way through Germany. Nothing booked in advance. The only place where you might have difficulty is Fussen as all the private Stellplatz there are extremely busy, (despite being fairly pricey), but we got a place ok.

The Alpinestrasse itself is pretty easy to drive, even the fabled Grossglockner tolled section (60 seat coaches tear down it), but there are a number of roads that are more challenging as you progress into Slovenia depending on the route you take, notably the Wurzen Pass in Austria and Vrisc Pass in Slovenia. See this thread -

Thread 'Wurzen Pass Austria and Vrisc Pass in Slovenia advice ?' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ria-and-vrisc-pass-in-slovenia-advice.302502/
Thank you so much this is very helpful

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back