European Christmas Markets

NR

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
We’re heading off to pick a couple of European markets up, heading from Calais into Belgian then onto Cologne then pretty much the reverse of. My question to those in the know is, how challenging is it to stop over in the locality of markets anticipating a lot of people will have the same idea.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Not done a lot but we have gone (with another motorhomer) to Gravelines and Bruges. This was pre covid.
No hassle at all parking at either.
I would definitely do Gravelines again and I would consider Bruges if I didnt have to save up to pay for the aire

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We do a Christmas markets trip every year, though not in the MH.

You can't beat Cologne for the markets....there are 6 or 7 of them in the city centre. Each of them are slightly different, our favourite is Heinzels Wintermàrchen with its ice rink

The MH Stellplatz is a tram/bike ride from the centre. I can't comment from person experience on how busy it'll be, but given how busy the markets are, I'd say it's likely to be quite full. You'll probably have more luck (and a nicer experience) if you can avoid the weekends.

Bruges is ok for a few hours: the market itself is tiny, but they have a Winter Gloed trail around the city centre which is rather good. I've heard of people staying in Blankenberge and getting the train into Bruges, which might be more cost-effective than staying in the Bruges aire.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Not done a lot but we have gone (with another motorhomer) to Gravelines and Bruges. This was pre covid.
No hassle at all parking at either.
I would definitely do Gravelines again and I would consider Bruges if I didnt have to save up to pay for the aire
I started to think that the Bruges aire must be really expensive, then I realised you like to “save up” for a couple of Ice creams🤷‍♂️🤭🤣🤣🤣🤣
We did the Koblenz Xmas market and the small one in rothenburg just after covid Dec21 (Bavaria cancelled all theirs that year and the rothenburg one was a token gesture but we loved the trip all the same).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Camping Memling in Bruges is €25-28 in low season.
About 20 mins walk into centre or bus stop nearby.
Nice hot, clean, showers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back