European breakdown insurance? (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer M-LT 580 4x4
Exp
I skimmed a post a while ago about a German member-owned recovery/roadside help company called “ADAC”; anyone know anything about them?

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Has anyone got any ideas as to the best now?
I know rac hasn't had the best reviews on here lately but I have been looking around for our forthcoming trip and they have a big discount on at the moment and they are not much more than others who I have never heard of.
Had a quote for annual £188 , shall I go for it or has anyone else got a better idea.
Thanks.
Edit btw the cheapest I can find is £120 but as I say , never heard of them before.
I have used Nationwide (AA) on two occasions now and apart from one issue with the AA not understanding that a motorhome up to 7,500kg is covered, I am satisfied with the cover.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Don't think you can beat Nationwide Flex Plus Account for value. £13 per month (£156 per year)

Full AA cover in UK cover in EU
Up to 8 metres and 7.5 ton
Personal Cover for any vehicle you drive so will cover all your other vehicles too.

Worldwide Travel insurance for you and your family with Aviva.

Mobile Phone cover.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
most of the stories I have read on here seem to say that they are just recovery drivers, that will load you up and transport you to the nearest garage.
Yes basically in France 🇫🇷 that is what is done.
I skimmed a post a while ago about a German member-owned recovery/roadside help company called “ADAC”; anyone know anything about them?
Yes I am with them. Unfortunately after the B word they unloaded all uk 🇬🇧 members.
They can't be faulted. No questions of return tickets, just where do you want to go ,where is the van to be taken,etc. Taxi hotels, plane ,car or train home if van has to be left/recovered. Plus full medical repatriation, including air ambulance and is why I pay for it even though I have all the above automatically with my Spanish vehicle insurance.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Used to be a popular choice but no longer available in the U.K.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I have been using driver guardian last two years while I’ve been with NFU who don’t offer it.
Touch wood I don’t have personal experience of the breakdown service but they do at least ask questions regarding size and weight of vehicle so that gave me some confidence

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
TBH, I think they are all as bad as each other! If your expectations are a full repatriation service, then you need a very different policy than mainstream.

However, if you are happy with a bod turning up and ultimately, when they have sent three different recovery trucks out before they send one appropriately sized to move you, then take you to a strange garage who haven’t got a clue about your vehicle and can’t look at it for two weeks, then you can go for one of the mainstream ‘compare the market’ type breakdown covers.

As far as I’m can work out, you’re on your own once they have got you off the Auto Pista.
You've just described my experience last summer on the French /Swiss border area. Recovery was OK, but then the fun started . Three weeks before anyone could look at it for a diagnosis only ! Fortunately I had my code reader and some tools with me , the non starting was due to the EGR stuck open. I replaced it myself much to the amusement of the recovery agent, who kindly allowed us to "camp" in his compound and sourced the part for me which in itself was a French fiasco of poor service and false promises. Anyway got sorted and away 48 hours later.

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
I’m with RAC with my tag 5 t van
We had to use it last year they paid for
Tow to garage
Taxi to and from hotel
Hotel
And some of the repairs
Though it was good service

IMG_2934.jpeg

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
Don't think you can beat Nationwide Flex Plus Account for value. £13 per month (£156 per year)

Personal Cover for any vehicle you drive so will cover all your other vehicles too.

Mobile Phone cover.

Flex plus only covers 30 days multi trip, you have to pay extra for longer trips.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Flex plus only covers 30 days multi trip, you have to pay extra for longer trips.

That's for the travel insurance not the breakdown. - my 62 day travel policy cost double this alone anyway so happy to pay for an upgrade. An extra 31 days was about £70 last time I enquired.

Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Michael Edmunds
Exp
Hightop since 2010
I know rac hasn't had the best reviews on here lately but I have been looking around for our forthcoming trip and they have a big discount on at the moment and they are not much more than others who I have never heard of.
Had a quote for annual £188 , shall I go for it or has anyone else got a better idea.
Thanks.
Edit btw the cheapest I can find is £120 but as I say , never heard of them before.
Just a reminder of our experience with RAC Europe cover.Absolutely never again.Our mo ho is 3.5 and 6.2 long.They tried everything to get out of thier obligations even asking for a current valuation.They then tried (it’s too high)2 metres.Eventually it turned up four weeks later via Genoa and damaged.We broke down in Spain.Not a single word when I complained,just a cheque.

May 18, 2022
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
I am a newbie
Beware repatriation issues.
Been AA member years, checked prior to travel, have no facilities to recover 7m 3.5 tonnes van and were upfront about it, added red pennant to cover all of in our 2021 van
No point trying to fight about it after the event, cf Ford warranty breakdown cover!!
Should mention, van locked itself in site in Lancashire, AA sent young rescue lad from local service, he couldn’t unlock the van (dog inside),ordered a local vehicle locksmith and bullied AA with the ombudsman and so they paid!
Check what you are paying for not just the price

May 18, 2022
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
I am a newbie
ADAC is the german automobile association
20 years of watching Topgear in the olden days

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We are with comfort and they use euro assist in Europe had a coming together with a raising bollard they took care of everything only thing they didn’t tell us where or when it was repatriated and had to phone to find out but the repair pace was about 15 miles away and repaired every thing from cars to double deck busses to artic Lorry’s did a brilliant job on our’s.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!

Mobile Phone cover.

Have you any experience of the Upgrades - e.g. what is the likely cost of an upgrade, to extend cover from the standard max. 31 days to say 90 or 120 days?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
No one any ideas?
I have read a few of the replies on this post and have not seen any mention that a lot of breakdown companies do not cover a vehicle over 20years old but they don’t tell you this until you need them so it might be worth checking on this when you find suitable cover, the C&CC used to have a scheme called RAC Arrival which used the commercial arm of their breakdown, no weight limit nor size limit, may be worth enquiring with them......just sayin....

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I used to be covered for breakdown with ADAC but they refused renewal after I had been with them for a few years because they will only offer breakdown cover if you have an address in Germany but Not in UK, Shame because they even covered you for Morocco.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Just been informed by Nationwide they are not doing travel insurance as from The1st of May this year Aviva are taking it over with different restrictions But your existing policy with nationwide still ok until it runs out At which point you have to go through all the medical checks again with Aviva or find other travel insurance So everyone with Nationwide needs to check this out Which I am doing at the moment

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
And by the way you still have to pay £13 month to nationwide for limited cover IE just breakdown and mobile phone

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Have you any experience of the Upgrades - e.g. what is the likely cost of an upgrade, to extend cover from the standard max. 31 days to say 90 or 120 days?
I did ring up about a year ago to enquire and for an extra 31 days (62 in all) it was £70. I didn't actually use it was I was covered elsewhere at the time. They are changing insurers to Aviva in May so it may change.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Just been informed by Nationwide they are not doing travel insurance as from The1st of May this year Aviva are taking it over with different restrictions But your existing policy with nationwide still ok until it runs out At which point you have to go through all the medical checks again with Aviva or find other travel insurance So everyone with Nationwide needs to check this out Which I am doing at the moment

It's not that they are not doing it. For standard cover (no special medical conditions) it will just change from UK insurance to Aviva. I understand that is you have particular conditions that could affect cover then the cost of these may change with the new company but the way I read it any additions already paid for will continue with UK insurance until they expire.

To be fair though - its good value for just the breakdown cover alone - particularly if you need cover for your car(s) too.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Can't agree more about good value for money for breakdown cover But how I read it nationwide were dropping travel insurance altogether

Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
Thanks.
I get mine through my motorhome insurance from Comfort Insurance. Cant remember how much I paid but must have been the best of a bad bunch. None of them cheap.

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
It would apear Red Pennant, exclusive to the Caravan Club, seems to provide the most reliable and comprehensive cover but for a price.
Does anyone know of a company that provides a similar level of cover/service without the ball ache of having to join the C.C?

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can't agree more about good value for money for breakdown cover But how I read it nationwide were dropping travel insurance altogether
The travel insurance is going to be with Aviva rather than UKInsurance. I've just done ours with UKInsurance for the year as we are going away in a couple of weeks time. We didn't have the insurance with them as they wouldn't cover Joe when I called them last year due to his waiting for an operation.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp

No - just changing the company that provides the travel insurance from UK Insurance to Aviva. Quite clear here on Nationwide Website.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Ok Stand corrected just changing to different company But I would suggest reading the new companies reviews!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back