Tour Guide Wanted Euro trip plan - Is it feasible ? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifetsyle 53
Good evening all,

Am trying to plan a trip in Europe for July next year , will have 3 weeks plan is

Day 1 Calais to Metz
Day 2 Metz to Europa park on to Colmar
Day 3 Colmar
Day 4 Colmar to Lugano
Day 5 Lugano to Padua
Day 6 Venice - by train
Day 7 Padua to San benedetto del Tronto
Day 8 San Benedetto del Tronto
Day 9 San Benedetto del Tronto
Day 10 San benedetto to Ancona Ferry to Split
Day 11 Split
Day 12 Split to dubrovnik
Day 13 Dubrovnik
Day 14 Dubrovnik Zadar
Day 15 Zadar to Ljubliana
Day 16 Ljubliana to Salzburg
Day 17 Salzburg to Stuttgart
Day 18 Stuttgart to Luxembourg
Day 19 Luxembourg to Dunkirk
Dy 20 Dunkirk

Is this feasible or is it too much for 3 weeks ? Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm sure it can be done. If the aim is to tick boxes labeled "Done that, been there" it will work for you. :)

If you are young and fit give it a go, you can always change your schedule. Stay flexible and slow down and change plans if that makes sense!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It could certainly be done but will it be enjoyable, when we were limited by school holidays we’d head away for 4 weeks. We’d normally drive to our furthest destination then slowly head home, one year we did Slovenia as we visited friends in Ljubljana. We got there over 3 days then spent a few nights in several places as we headed home, plenty of stops and relaxing drive.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
It can be done but I suppose it depends what type of trip you want……a lot of driving with not much ‘holiday’ time.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Ouch.

That's an awful lot of time in a moving van.

I wouldn't do it in that time scale.

Best of luck if you go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why Women Kill Rush GIF by Paramount+
Be Patient Take Your Time GIF
Happy Enjoy Life GIF by Learner Circle

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Might as well sit on the drive with a travel programme on the tv, because that’s what it’ll be like….

Took me 3 months to do that trip and I only saw a fraction….😎
Same here. We did a very similar itinerary last year to Croatia and back, and we spent 3 months, but could have easily spent longer. To do it in 3 weeks would be very rushed. All driving, no sight seeing. Not very relaxing. Not much of a holiday.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Blimey, that seems quite a unanimous response!

Try it and see what you think.

The first full week trip we did (Cornwall) we moved every day. In hindsight it was too much.

But we needed to do it to get the hindsight!

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Blimey, will you have time to breathe in between that lot?

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
The first full week trip we did (Cornwall) we moved every day. In hindsight it was too much.
But Wales to Croatia in 3 weeks is a lot more driving than Stockport to Cornwall for a week.

We rarely stay more than one night anywhere when travelling Europe for 3 months. I think three days in one place is about the most we've ever stayed. But some days we'll only travel 25 or 30 miles to the next place of interest.

We're currently 10 weeks into a 13 week tour of Scandinavia. We've stayed a second night in about 6 places, mainly cities (we're currently on our second day in Stockholm). We've not stayed anywhere for 3 nights.

Wales to Croatia in 3 weeks will mean a massive amount of driving most days, and will need to be done on fast motorways. Not really a way to see places in my opinion.

Croatia is not wild-camping friendly so you're going to need to factor in the costs of campsites which in peak season are eye-watering. If you are time limited to 3 weeks, I'd consider cheap flights and a couple of Airbnbs as an alternative. Probably cheaper, and more relaxing.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
But Wales to Croatia in 3 weeks is a lot more driving than Stockport to Cornwall for a week.

We rarely stay more than one night anywhere when travelling Europe for 3 months. I think three days in one place is about the most we've ever stayed. But some days we'll only travel 25 or 30 miles to the next place of interest.

We're currently 10 weeks into a 13 week tour of Scandinavia. We've stayed a second night in about 6 places, mainly cities (we're currently on our second day in Stockholm). We've not stayed anywhere for 3 nights.

Wales to Croatia in 3 weeks will mean a massive amount of driving most days, and will need to be done on fast motorways. Not a way to see places in my opinion.

Croatia is not wild-camping friendly so you're going to need to factor in the costs of campsites which in peak season are eye-watering. If you are time limited to 3 weeks, I'd consider cheap flights and a couple of Airbnbs as an alternative. Probably cheaper, and more relaxing.
Absolutely agree. Just trying to suggest that sometimes you need to try it for yourself to know it doesn't work!

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
That is a marathon not a holiday. I am limited by work commitments. I got as far south as Lake Como on my current 16 day jaunt. My suggestion would be two days on the road then two days off or similar. In my case it takes me the thick end of a day to get to the channel ports as well.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I did Croatia and back in 3 weeks 2 days and that included 2 nights in plitvice lakes and a further 6 nights stationary in Krk and a few other 2 night stays dotted about.
Sure it’s not ideal, is it doable? Yes it is, did I enjoy the trip?…..
HELL YES👍👍

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Good evening all,

Am trying to plan a trip in Europe for July next year , will have 3 weeks plan is

Day 1 Calais to Metz
Day 2 Metz to Europa park on to Colmar
Day 3 Colmar
Day 4 Colmar to Lugano
Day 5 Lugano to Padua
Day 6 Venice - by train
Day 7 Padua to San benedetto del Tronto
Day 8 San Benedetto del Tronto
Day 9 San Benedetto del Tronto
Day 10 San benedetto to Ancona Ferry to Split
Day 11 Split
Day 12 Split to dubrovnik
Day 13 Dubrovnik
Day 14 Dubrovnik Zadar
Day 15 Zadar to Ljubliana
Day 16 Ljubliana to Salzburg
Day 17 Salzburg to Stuttgart
Day 18 Stuttgart to Luxembourg
Day 19 Luxembourg to Dunkirk
Dy 20 Dunkirk

Is this feasible or is it too much for 3 weeks ? Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Is it a Holliday or a drive by ? 😉

The reason I say this is that what are you actually going to experience after a drive from calise to Metz it’s a 15 min walk in to town but after a long drive (possibly 4-6 hours with stops) what are you going to do or experience?

Your going to be driving a heck of a lot but not actually stopping to experience where you are in many instances you will have a few hours but little time to take in the town etc.

Each to their own but more miles doesn’t mean better quality experience.

Having traveled extensive on business and visited many cities and towns I would say my biggest regret was never having enough time to explore where I was.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
I would seriously consider the purpose of your trip. :unsure:

If it's to tick off a load of European countries (akin to the inter-railing I did as a student), then go for it! (y)

If it's to have a holiday, maybe take on board the comments from more experienced travellers, ditch the plans, cross the channel and see what happens 🤷‍♂️

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Do you know what … I’d set off with that itinerary as Plan A but not book anything. Once you cross the channel see how you get on. What’s the weather doing? Are you shattered and want to chill somewhere a couple of nights or desperate for the next thing? How long do you like driving a day? You’ll soon see what’s comfortable for you. The big advantage of our hobby is you can change your mind.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I'd want 2 months for that trip.
Some people don’t have the luxury of 2 months off work but still want to travel to places afar! Do you suggest they stay in northern france or Belgium for a week or two till they retire?? I’d love to do Spain but I know as soon as I get down there it’s time to turn round and come home🤷‍♂️
I’ve done similar Croatia trip in 23 days I loved it, each one to their own👍👍

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Some people don’t have the luxury of 2 months off work but still want to travel to places afar! Do you suggest they stay in northern france or Belgium for a week or two till they retire?? I’d love to do Spain but I know as soon as I get down there it’s time to turn round and come home🤷‍♂️
I’ve done similar Croatia trip in 23 days I loved it, each one to their own👍👍

Yes ,it's personal choice. If I had limited time I'd either go nearer or do a few days of just driving to get to a further away destination. Either way - the priority for me is to have time explore my surroundings and relax.

In two week you could drive to Northern Spain and back and have 8 days or so to explore the area. Or even take the Santander Ferry and go further south.

As I am lucky to have luxury of time we tend to not plan, we'll have a general destination in mind but just explore what's on route - sometimes we stop for one night, other times for a few days depending on what's around. Then occasionally we'll just chill somewhere for a longer period of 5 days or a week.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
We only get 2 weeks at a time so do as much as we possibly can.
Been down to Rome, had 4 days there then slowly made our way back. Saw what we wanted to see.

Also been down to Salou, had a week there and slowly back.
I used to drive hgv’s all over Europe so used to 10hr day drives.

I’ll slow down when I retire if I live that long.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I don't mind driving long days but after a couple I like a 2 night stop. So if you can get to somewhere nice, say like Millau in 2 days it might help 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back