Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

SimonBuckley

Free Member
Sep 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Hi
I got one of the above on my last visit to Belgium. Can anyone tell me what documents I need with it? Do I need evidence of worming etc
Many thanks
Simon

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes, quite possibly you can, but you have to still be there when the post eventually arrives 2 or 3 weeks later.
Only if you have gone to a vet that insists on I-cad registration being done before they will issue a Pet Passport. There are others who will do the I-cad registration at the same time as they issue the PP. There are even others who are sensible enough to realise that I-cad is irrelevant to non-resident dogs anyway, and will issue a PP without it.

If any subscribing Funster wants a list of such vets, send me a PM.

Upvote 0

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
There's Abbeywell at Folkestone who charge £99 and another one at one of the other ports, can't remember which one, who does them for the same price.

The best price I've heard of though is of one at Castle Douglas who only charges £57, we were told by a couple we met in Scotland last month but I forgot to ask for the name of the flipping vet. :rolleyes:
Can’t be many vets in Castle Douglas!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can’t be many vets in Castle Douglas!
Just googled, there are three:

1725728758769.png

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just googled, there are three:

View attachment 945939
Looks like you can rule out Threave Farm Vets as they only deal with livestock. So it would be well worth anyone needing an AHC in that area ringing the other two to find out which does the £57 deal. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2024
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LH 744
Exp
As said above don’t let a UK Vet near that EU Passport, if they write anything in it that makes the passport invalid.
The Rabies ‘top-ups’ 1 or 3 yearly must be done in the EU, France or wherever.
You need to take it and dog with you when checking in, to go to France.
When returning you need a French Vet to worm and check dog and fill in 2 relevant parts in the Passport-check Passport. This must be done 1-5 days prior to return to UK..
We went just into Belgium to get ours.
My daughter lives in France and we use her vet when needed. The vet will transcribe details of the rabies shot from the Uk vaccination card (with the batch no sticker) to the EU passport. So we have all the shots done in UK and the passport updated in France.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
He will have to come out on yet another AHC (at £220 a pop!) at Xmas and finalise the passport then
Blige. My emergency; less then 24hrs, only cost £199 from easy pet travel in Ashford near the tunnel. 😳
Get your son to collect from one of the near port ones for much much less.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My daughter lives in France and we use her vet when needed. The vet will transcribe details of the rabies shot from the Uk vaccination card (with the batch no sticker) to the EU passport. So we have all the shots done in UK and the passport updated in France.
Your daughter's French vet would seem to be an exception - I can't imagine the majority of French vets doing this. I don't see any advantage to it however. Wouldn't the rabies booster be cheaper in France than in the UK? They usually are. If your dog's rabies vaccination would expire while you were in the UK you would need an AHC to get back into France anyway. So am I missing something here?

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2024
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LH 744
Exp
Your daughter's French vet would seem to be an exception - I can't imagine the majority of French vets doing this. I don't see any advantage to it however. Wouldn't the rabies booster be cheaper in France than in the UK? They usually are. If your dog's rabies vaccination would expire while you were in the UK you would need an AHC to get back into France anyway. So am I missing something here?

The advantage was mainly on our first visit with an AHC. Obviously the dogs had their rabies shots in UK and so the vet transferred this into the passport she issued for them. I have also heard people say that the officials at Ashford are OK if you present a passport alongside a UK rabies vaccination certificate. I asked at Eurotunnel on my last trip over and the lady checking our documents said that would be acceptable. Otherwise it’s a question of timing and getting to France before the vaccination expires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The advantage was mainly on our first visit with an AHC. Obviously the dogs had their rabies shots in UK and so the vet transferred this into the passport she issued for them. I have also heard people say that the officials at Ashford are OK if you present a passport alongside a UK rabies vaccination certificate. I asked at Eurotunnel on my last trip over and the lady checking our documents said that would be acceptable. Otherwise it’s a question of timing and getting to France before the vaccination expires.
Yes, some vets will transfer the rabies vaccination details from an AHC in order to issue the Pet Passport, which is fine if they do it correctly.

I don't know where you heard that about Ashford but it is not legally correct. I certainly wouldn't rely on getting past any official clutching an EU Pet Passport with expired rabies and just a UK vaccination certificate.

I find it hard to believe that staff at Eurotunnel said it would be acceptable as it definitely isn't. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding about exactly what was being asked?

And yes, it is a question of returning to the EU before the rabies vaccination expires if you want to maintain validity of the Pet Passport. As 3-year rabies boosters are available in France I would not expect that to be problematic. If you let the rabies vaccination expire, then you will need an AHC to enter the EU.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back