Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

SimonBuckley

Free Member
Sep 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Hi
I got one of the above on my last visit to Belgium. Can anyone tell me what documents I need with it? Do I need evidence of worming etc
Many thanks
Simon

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
With a pet passport to leave UK to Europe you dont need to do anything. On return you need to visit a European vet and get the dog wormed and must cross within 24-120 hours.
If going to Finland or Norway you must get an additional Foxworm tablet administered (we had ours done in Sweden) before you enter either country again and cross 24-120 hours.
The vet should endorse the passport with type of wormimg tablet and date and time administered its as simple as that.
There is a facebook page that has a map populated of vets in Europe who will do it https://www.facebook.com/groups/247367519467456/
I have found any vets I've contacted in Europe are happy to do it.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi
I got one of the above on my last visit to Belgium. Can anyone tell me what documents I need with it? Do I need evidence of worming etc
Many thanks
Simon
It carries the rabies vaccine information and all future rabies vaccines have to be done in the EU.
Don't let a UK vet near it for rabies.
As Mick and Ruth said, worming treatment between 1-5 days prior to return to UK.
That's down to the minute, worming done 23hr and 50 minutes before you're at the pet desk you'll be sent to the back of the queue for 10 minutes

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Is it easy to get a European pet passport if you are a UK resident?
Yes, except in France where they seem to have volunteered to require details be entered on a national database called icad (?) I think.
This excluded UK residents without a french address.
So just pop over to Belgium or Germany.
Dr Christine Jacout in Mons is very helpful and speaks good English.
Plenty of others around who will do it also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
As said above don’t let a UK Vet near that EU Passport, if they write anything in it that makes the passport invalid.
The Rabies ‘top-ups’ 1 or 3 yearly must be done in the EU, France or wherever.
You need to take it and dog with you when checking in, to go to France.
When returning you need a French Vet to worm and check dog and fill in 2 relevant parts in the Passport-check Passport. This must be done 1-5 days prior to return to UK..
We went just into Belgium to get ours.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, except in France where they seem to have volunteered to require details be entered on a national database called icad (?) I think.
Thanks for that…

What about Ireland? Now the silly question - do you have to have the dogs with you when you visit the vet when applying for a passport?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that…

What about Ireland? Now the silly question - do you have to have the dogs with you when you visit the vet when applying for a passport?
Yes the vet needs to see the dog to do a health check and confirm identity by scanning the microchip

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Have seen some posts on a few forums today that at Europoort they are demanding that the stickers on the PP for the rabies and worming are "laminated" in a similar manner to the details page that has the chip number.

My boy's Belgian PP has only 1 sticker for the rabies the rest is handwriting.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Our girl's original UK passport had a whole page of those lamination strips included in it. Her current French one does not but the vet usually puts a strip of sellotape over it. If they don't then I use one of the strips from the old passport myself.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Have seen some posts on a few forums today that at Europoort they are demanding that the stickers on the PP for the rabies and worming are "laminated" in a similar manner to the details page that has the chip number.

My boy's Belgian PP has only 1 sticker for the rabies the rest is handwriting.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
This is in line with the EU Regulation 577/2013 which details how Pet Passports are to be completed. Handwritten rabies and worming entries are fine on their own. It is only when stickers are used that they should be laminated. Technically, stickers that are cut so that they break apart when moved do not need laminating but it's no big deal to just stick a piece of Sellotape over any sticker.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Forgive another stupid question…….

If you have a European Pet Passport, do you still need an AHC for travelling from UK?

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Just to say that a UK resident can still get a French pet passport by giving a French address. The pet will be registered on the database at that address. The only thing to bear in mind is that if the pet goes missing and is found, no one will know where to find you, as they'll be contacting the French address you gave. It's up to you, of course, whether or not you want to guarantee that you won't lose your pet!

It's also worth bearing in mind that the registration process can take up to two weeks, when you will need to revisit the vet to collect your passport.

So it is doable but not without the risk of losing your pet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Just to say that a UK resident can still get a French pet passport by giving a French address. The pet will be registered on the database at that address. The only thing to bear in mind is that if the pet goes missing and is found, no one will know where to find you, as they'll be contacting the French address you gave. It's up to you, of course, whether or not you want to guarantee that you won't lose your pet!

It's also worth bearing in mind that the registration process can take up to two weeks, when you will need to revisit the vet to collect your passport.

So it is doable but not without the risk of losing your pet.
We are doing this at the moment with our son. I-cad did only take 2 weeks to process the application but that was 36hrs too late for him! The contact detail they are principally interested in is your mobile phone number; and we used one of ours but also his UK one. He will have to come out on yet another AHC (at £220 a pop!) at Xmas and finalise the passport then

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t forget that a UK vet cannot make any entries on you pets passport so you need to get your rabies boosters don in the EU😊

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are doing this at the moment with our son. I-cad did only take 2 weeks to process the application but that was 36hrs too late for him! The contact detail they are principally interested in is your mobile phone number; and we used one of ours but also his UK one. He will have to come out on yet another AHC (at £220 a pop!) at Xmas and finalise the passport then
Where on earth does he go for that extortionate AHC! :eek: You can get them a lot cheaper than that - where does he leave the UK from/is located.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Where on earth does he go for that extortionate AHC! :eek: You can get them a lot cheaper than that - where does he leave the UK from/is located.
My son paid £110 to a vet here in Sussex for an AHC for his dog and we thought that was dear.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My son paid £110 to a vet here in Sussex for an AHC for his dog and we thought that was dear.
There's Abbeywell at Folkestone who charge £99 and another one at one of the other ports, can't remember which one, who does them for the same price.

The best price I've heard of though is of one at Castle Douglas who only charges £57, we were told by a couple we met in Scotland last month but I forgot to ask for the name of the flipping vet. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Truro. It has gone up from £175 three years ago, £200 last year and the £220 last July. I can't comment but I think it is their usual vet.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Truro. It has gone up from £175 three years ago, £200 last year and the £220 last July. I can't comment but I think it is their usual vet.
Where do they travel from, eg airport, port etc?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back