ETIAS, this is the most informative read I’ve seen for May 2025 implementation (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I was reading my ETIAS email this morning and searched through their website for the latest news. THIS article is the most informative I have read on the subject explaining how it will be implemented and the allowances timeframe from May 2025.

Looks like we won’t be refused entry if we haven’t got the visa exemption form done in the early days, which is good news, and the first time I have heard of this.

Thought I would post it as a separate thread for info rather than add to one of the many on this subject 😜

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
It strikes me that some people might delay applying until the end of the transition period so that their 3 year period ends later.

Have they used US spelling as a snub to the UK? Did EU use US spelling while UK was an EU member|?
Yes I thought that too, we’ll apply as soon as we can to ensure it is all done and in place, the one after that will be free for us both in any case and on a new passport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes I thought that too, we’ll apply as soon as we can to ensure it is all done and in place, the one after that will be free for us both in any case and on a new passport.

So Yorkshire has at last found guts to declare independence and issue passports - after years of whingeing that it is different. ;) :giggle:

Jul 20, 2019
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur LVX855 A
Exp
Since 2001
So Yorkshire has at last found guts to declare independence and issue passports - after years of whingeing that it is different. ;) e :giggle:
Saw the US bit in the web address and thought it might be some sort of scam especially looking at some of the questions that were being asked.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
It strikes me that some people might delay applying until the end of the transition period so that their 3 year period ends later.

Have they used US spelling as a snub to the UK? Did EU use US spelling while UK was an EU member|?
I dont understand why you think the uk is important enough for them to intentionally snub the uk by using US spelling.

If I understand it, this scheme is intended for all non Europeans who wish to enter europe, its the uk has decided to join that group, which probably has a lot more people who have US english as either a primary, or secondary language. It would not surprise me if all EU english uses the US variant. And probably using UK english only as an exception if a document is purely intended for the UK.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The thing that irrtates me most is the US using 'curb' instead of 'kerb'. The 2 words mean completely different things

Reactions: hja
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
The thing that irrtates me most is the US using 'curb' instead of 'kerb'. The 2 words mean completely different things
If you look it up, its apears that it is the UK that added the word Kerb to the language (short for Kerbstone) in addition to the word curb, the US just use curb for all definitions of curb and Kerb.

All languages that are the same, but seperated by time and location have this.
US, and Australian English diverged from UK english hundreds of years ago, the same with french, spanish, Portuguese, are you saying that all overseas countries should only adapt their language to mimic the parent countrys language?

I have only been in france for 18 years, and I haven't got a clue what lots of words i hear in the UK mean. It all moves on over time.

Even in the UK, you go to a different region and they use lots of words you probably havent heard of.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you look it up, its apears that it is the UK that added the word Kerb to the language (short for Kerbstone) in addition to the word curb, the US just use curb for all definitions of curb and Kerb.

All languages that are the same, but seperated by time and location have this.
US, and Australian English diverged from UK english hundreds of years ago, the same with french, spanish, Portuguese, are you saying that all overseas countries should only adapt their language to mimic the parent countrys language?

I have only been in france for 18 years, and I haven't got a clue what lots of words i hear in the UK mean. It all moves on over time.

Even in the UK, you go to a different region and they use lots of words you probably havent heard of.
I heard that American English is probably a lot closer to the way we used to speak than English spoken here ( I think that's part of what you're saying but I meant pronunciation as well as written). I think people forget that when English is said to be the widest spoken language it's not English the way we do it.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for the philology lessons but as a former horse rider it still annoys me!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I heard that American English is probably a lot closer to the way we used to speak than English spoken here ( I think that's part of what you're saying but I meant pronunciation as well as written). I think people forget that when English is said to be the widest spoken language it's not English the way we do it.

If other people want to speak a version of a language which is different, not only in spelling and pronunciation, but also in syntax from what is recognised as English in UK then I urge them not to call it English.

Canadians at least adhere to English syntax.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back