Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I know both of these matters have been mentioned in previous threads, but I found the following recently published summary by the Consumers Association (Which?) to be the most straightforward explanation I have so far read of what they are and what needs to be done.

Unless you are already very aware of what you will need to do from November 2024 when travelling to Europe, the link below is worth reading.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This from gov email i received.

You will need to have your fingerprints and your photo taken when entering the Schengen area. If you enter the Schengen area through Dover, Eurotunnel at Folkestone or St Pancras International, your fingerprints and photo will be taken before you leave the UK. You will also need to provide either your fingerprint or photo on exit.

You may experience longer queues at borders when the new system starts.

So the Question is ,What happens to the norm( according to threads on here) of leaving Uk on British passport and entering Europe on an Irish passport( no stamp) and vise versa on the way back ,if you have dual nationality and using these routes?
Would it just be easier to leave Uk and enter Europe using only the Irish passport?

Question has come up as i am awaiting the arrival of my Irish passport.

Cheers Cris 🍻

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

You will need to have your fingerprints and your photo taken when entering the Schengen area. If you enter the Schengen area through Dover, Eurotunnel at Folkestone or St Pancras International, your fingerprints and photo will be taken before you leave the UK. You will also need to provide either your fingerprint or photo on exit.

So the Question is ,What happens to the norm( according to threads on here) of leaving Uk on British passport and entering Europe on an Irish passport( no stamp) and vise versa on the way back ,if you have dual nationality and using these routes?
Would it just be easier to leave Uk and enter Europe using only the Irish passport?

Cheers Cris 🍻

Just enter and exit with the Irish one, leave the UK one at home.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
We are already in Spain and won't be returning until November. What is the procedure for us ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
We are already in Spain and won't be returning until November. What is the procedure for us ?

No problem. Just make sure your passports are date stamped when you leave. The new arrangements will be enforced for you the next time you enter.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014

Bet it doesn't stop the illegal migrants entering the Schengen area in the first place. Can't see them queueing up to have their photo and finger prints taken.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Given that the EES system is for entry into the Schengen zone, not the EU, will Irish passport holders not have to go through the same process? Ireland is not in Schengen. When we were still in the EU we were a party to the development of the EES system and knew it would apply to uk citizens even though, at the time, we were on the EU.
It is only ETIAS that is because we have left the EU.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
This is a handy summary of the sequence. I am curious as to what cruise ships will do later this year.

Dave

FB_IMG_1725721414000.jpg

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Given that the EES system is for entry into the Schengen zone, not the EU, will Irish passport holders not have to go through the same process? Ireland is not in Schengen. When we were still in the EU we were a party to the development of the EES system and knew it would apply to uk citizens even though, at the time, we were on the EU.
Good question it will be interesting to see how it all works.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Cheers Cris 🍻
Never mix and match passports between borders.
If you leave a country on the UK passport, then you must arrive at the next country on the same UK passport

As passports are increasingly scanned at borders, after they have done sweeps of the ship looking for you as a stowaway, they will be assuming that your wife disposed of you overboard whilst on the ferry, as you left the UK but never arrived in France.

I've told this story before about a colleague with a UK, Canadian and Swedish passport that I was travelling with to the USA.

He had entered the US from Vancouver on the Canadian passport, crossed the USA, and departed a week later (New York) on the UK passport.
A year later flying from the UK we tried to enter the USA in Boston.
He had done the mix and match, as was using the Canadian passport to enter the USA.

Lets just say, I had collected the baggage, got the hire van, picked up our freight from an earlier flight, left the airport, had the meal at the hotel and was propping up the bar long before he arrived.

He was unable to prove, as a Canadian that he had not been a long term overstayer in the USA.
He was unable to prove his arrival in the UK, as there was no record.
He was about to be deported to Canada, that night, on his personal account, when they found a stamp in the UK passport for entry and exit to Singapore a few months earlier.
Which when US Immigration called Singapore (a call for which he had to pay), they were able to prove that he had been there, so had not been an overstayer in the US.

That and the fact that he had a decent long term well paid job in the UK (they checked) and a wife and kids in Sweden (they checked), he was permitted entry to the USA.
But he was told, in no uncertain terms, that if any Immigration Service, UK, Sweden, Singapore, Canada or the USA ever caught him mixing passports between borders again, he would be instantly deported.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Irish passport holders are exempt from the European Union Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS):

• Explanation
    Ireland is an EU country, and Irish citizens are also EU citizens. This means that Irish citizens can live, work, and study in any other EU member state without needing an ETIAS.

• Schengen
    Ireland is not part of the Schengen zone, and the ETIAS system will not apply to Ireland unless Ireland joins Schengen before ETIAS is officially rolled out.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What happens to the norm( according to threads on here) of leaving Uk on British passport and entering Europe on an Irish passport( no stamp) and vise versa on the way back ,if you have dual nationality and using these routes?
I didn't know anyone did?
This^^^^
that if any Immigration Service, UK, Sweden, Singapore, Canada or the USA ever caught him mixing passports between borders again, he would be instantly deported.
& you just re-enter using a different passport.It is all done solely so they can track your whereabouts.

Sweden & the Uk ,back then , cannot deport any EU citizen it is not allowed. + if you are actually a UK citizen then they have no hope

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I didn't know anyone did?

This^^^^

& you just re-enter using a different passport.It is all done solely so they can track your whereabouts.

Sweden & the Uk ,back then , cannot deport any EU citizen it is not allowed. + if you are actually a UK citizen then they have no hope

here is a treat here with both passports being used on the same trip,just for info .

Cheers Cris 🍻

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
This is a handy summary of the sequence. I am curious as to what cruise ships will do later this year.

Dave

View attachment 945880
Most countries with ports have a system in place to accept visiting passengers where it is part of a scheduled itinerary and the visit is less than 24 hours.
Various rules apply, but normally not an issue. When immigration and customs board on docking, they are presented with a passenger manifest, stamped and everyone can visit.
There are some exceptions, but I've not heard of anything new in the EU, well, not on my old employer's bulletins

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+

Cheers Cris 🍻
You cross the border with the relevant passport.

For the ferries and tunnel, the border control is in the UK, so once past the UK border force (do they have these at the ferries?) you present your EU/IE passport to the French border control.

Coming back, EU passport for French controls, then UK passport once you get to UK Border Force controls.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Most countries with ports have a system in place to accept visiting passengers where it is part of a scheduled itinerary and the visit is less than 24 hours.
Various rules apply, but normally not an issue. When immigration and customs board on docking, they are presented with a passenger manifest, stamped and everyone can visit.
There are some exceptions, but I've not heard of anything new in the EU, well, not on my old employer's bulletins
I have established that biometric data will not be needed and your Schengen maximum of 90 days in 180 checked, if you enjoy the EU courtesy of a cruise ship from and returning to the UK!

Dave

FB_IMG_1725793030031.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
so once past the UK border force (do they have these at the ferries?) y
Unfortunately ,yes. But they come after the French ones who are first when leaving france
you present your EU/IE passport to the French border control.
who hand them straight back without looking when leaving france & have no interest in them at all when leaving the UK?
I have established that biometric data will not be needed and your Schengen maximum of 90 days in 180 checked, if you enjoy the EU courtesy of a cruise ship from and returning to the UK!

Dave
why not?

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
So for cruises coming from, e.g. the UK, and calling at Schengen ports (Barcelona etc.), you must have a valid ETIAS visa, but won't need to do the EES biometrics each time you stop off for the day.

I guess they are relying on enforcement of the Visa by the Cruise lines.

It means that a UK cruise to Schengen destinations, with just day excursions, won't count for your 90/180.

A sensible approach I suppose.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Sorry, as above, meant to quote both:

Dave

View attachment 946251

Unfortunately ,yes. But they come after the French ones who are first when leaving france

who hand them straight back without looking when leaving france & have no interest in them at all when leaving the UK?

why not?

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Dave

View attachment 945880

But then some cruise ships do overnight stays for one or more nights.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
But then some cruise ships do overnight stays for one or more nights.
But in the harbour?

They must have considered this, maybe decided the extra hassle outweighed any risk of abuse.

But presumably, does not apply to Schengen origin cruises, when every day would count?

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Just as an aside, came in to Amsterdam from Dubai yesterday.

EU queue cleared in a couple of minutes.

Staff were asking the rest of us what passport we had (well, basically white European types), and pulled UK and Aussies out of the queue into a shorter queue.

There is no way the NL border agent went through my passport and added up all the stamps in and out. They are clearly waiting for the database to be operational.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But in the harbour?

They must have considered this, maybe decided the extra hassle outweighed any risk of abuse.

But presumably, does not apply to Schengen origin cruises, when every day would count?
Possibly beyond the dock control it's not an issue. I would think the risk from most cruise passengers would be minimal and the ship would notify of any absconders!!

Best immigration into the USA we ever had was at the end of a cruise. The immigration officials came on board and cabins were called in order to go through the immigration process before disembarkation. The officer was more interested in flirting with our daughter than checking any paperwork!!!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
I believe Ireland has an exemption.

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
I'm Irish and we are exempt from all that palaver thank goodness 🙂

Overview:
Irish citizens do not need to use the EU Entry/Exit System (EES) or the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) when traveling to the EU or Schengen countries:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back