Engine won’t start (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
On site in Spain and just tried to reposition motorhome ready for an early departure tomorrow and could not start the engine.
All usual dashboard lights come on but very weak cranking of the engine - two attempts and then nothing.
But yet my control panel shows 12.9v engine battery and 13.1v Hab batteries.

Any ideas what it could be?

I had a new earth strap fitted on last service.
no issues on journey here.

I’ve called my insurance breakdown and awaiting their European partner Optiva? To call me.
Fortunately, I am on a site and not on a road or aire.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Give the battery terminals a wiggle. If they're loose, it'll look like you've got good voltage, but deliver poor cranking current.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Agree with last post clutching at straws but check also for corrosion on the clamps and cable ends.
You had new earth strap did you have a previous problem that could have course a problem over time with your current battery

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi everyone
Thanks for all your replies.
I took the earth strap off and cleaned the terminals and bolt eye.
My Dutch neighbour had a power jump pack so we connected that and it started.
I’ve left it running for half an hour and will revisit it tomorrow.
If worst comes to worst there’s a Bosch Garage come Penta Volvo boats/engines garage just up the road so will see if they can supply a new battery.
Once again, thank you all.

Just for info, the breakdown company has yet to get in touch (4.5hrs ago from calling)

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi everyone
If worst comes to worst there’s a Bosch Garage come Penta Volvo boats/engines garage just up the road so will see if they can supply a new battery.

Just for info, the breakdown company has yet to get in touch (4.5hrs ago from calling)

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi everyone

No yellow padlock so don’t think it was immobilised

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Check earth's and Add another battery to engine block. Then check and clean main power connector to starter motor.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Hi everyone

Any update?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would suspect that had you been able to see the battery voltage display when trying to start it will have dropped well down while cranking

New battery probably needed or a good charge possibly, have you been on hook up? If so is your charger working

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hello all, just a quick update. I managed to get the engine started this morning on site by using two power packs to jump start it.
I have drove to the nearest Fiat dealership and they have tested the battery and although he didn’t show me the diagnostic print out, said he would fit a new battery. As they sold the last one yesterday, he’s hopeful that they can get one delivered within the hour. So I’m not sure whether this is a process of elimination or whether it is the battery at fault.
We’re communicating via Google translate on my phone. But they’re very helpful and to settle our anxieties, that will do for me.

We were on electric hook up and according to the habitation control panel, all was fine. Plus the solar regulator was working fine.

I had a ctek battery charger which reconditions the batteries but disconnected it half way through our stay because it wasn’t getting a power LED signal when plugged into the mains. I’m now wondering whether that was the sign to tell me there was an issue. Unless the ctek is goosed. (Even when disconnected from the battery it didn’t show a power light).
Whilst engine running the control panel showed the engine battery as 13.1v
When engine off it was 12.7v but riding upwards due to the solar panels and battery master.

Fingers crossed they will source a battery and that will be the cure. Otherwise it could be a long weekend on Fiat’s forecourt.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Update
Fitted new battery and it wouldn’t start.
They tried a jump pack onto new battery terminals but it still wouldn’t start.
They then tried the jump pack connected to the terminals under the bonnet and it wouldn’t start.
They moved the earth jump pack lead to connect onto the engine block and it started.
They’ve said that there’s a cable fault somewhere and have asked us to go wonder around the industrial estate whilst they have siesta and will then investigate further.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Update
Fitted new battery and it wouldn’t start.
They tried a jump pack onto new battery terminals but it still wouldn’t start.
They then tried the jump pack connected to the terminals under the bonnet and it wouldn’t start.
They moved the earth jump pack lead to connect onto the engine block and it started.
They’ve said that there’s a cable fault somewhere and have asked us to go wonder around the industrial estate whilst they have siesta and will then investigate further.

Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Could be a starter motor problem. I had to on an old car when I removed the starter motor I found worn bearings which meant I had slow cranking speed which wouldn't start a cold engine, it was fine when warm.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The engine/gearbox to body earth cable could be the problem (or its connections) , this is the one that normally causes problems and may also account for the apparent low charging with the engine running (the other battery to body earth cable may have been the one changed when serviced)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
The engine/gearbox to body earth cable could be the problem (or its connections) , this is the one that normally causes problems and may also account for the apparent low charging with the engine running
I had a similar problem a few years ago and it was the engine to body cable which Green Flag removed and cleaned up and refitted and all was well , on returning home my son fitted another one so now I have 2

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
could be the live cable to the starter solenoid.I had that used to either get out & waggle it or jump it direct from battery to terminal with a length of cable & ignition on.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Replace your battery and starter motor earth (already said). No harm adding additional earth on older vans too. I went battery to engine lifting eye and convenient gearbox bolt to inner wing mount.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
there’s the culprit - engine earth strap
Replaced and all seems good minus a hefty chunk out of my wallet but needs must
Thanks for all of your suggestions
IMG_8433.jpeg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It amazes me sometimes that thousands can be spent diagnosing faults on vehicles when sometimes it’s the most obvious or the simplest of things….

Glad your sorted as breaking down away from home is a worrying time…😎

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
As I said earth strap they corrode inside the fittings at the ends may even be some of the cause of the airbag fails

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back