En route from France to Spain (26 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
We are currently on our way south in France and intending to get near Valencia, normally we would go down thro' Bordeaux, then on to Irun, across to Pamploma/zaragosa......
Having just looked at routes again, there is one down from Bordeaux to Pau and across the Pyrenees to Huesca...... has anyone done this route, and would you advise a relatively new 8M motor home driver to attempt this, or, should I stick to the old way.
Thanks in advance.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Variety is the spice etc. etc.
The route you mention is perfectly possible at this time of year. The views are spectacular and worth it.

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
This route is perfectly driveable by anyone that is confident and who wouldn't be if you own a motorhome. At this time of year they'll be no issue with snow or the need to carry snow chains. Enjoy.
We will be heading to Alicante in March 25. I use the route you mentioned Via Irun Pamplona etc etc.
Regards Mark

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be aware the Somport Tunnel is closed for 6 months after a road collapse on the French.

Aragnouet to Bielsa tunnel reopened today after a road collapse on the Spainish side.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As said the Som Port tunnel ,a lovely route I always use, is closed as stated. at Urdos. Also the one eastwards Bielsa(?) is also shut for the same reason but on the spanish side

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are currently on our way south in France and intending to get near Valencia, normally we would go down thro' Bordeaux, then on to Irun, across to Pamploma/zaragosa......
Having just looked at routes again, there is one down from Bordeaux to Pau and across the Pyrenees to Huesca...... has anyone done this route, and would you advise a relatively new 8M motor home driver to attempt this, or, should I stick to the old way.
Thanks in advance.
I would use Google Maps to check what's open. It is showing road closures on the main route from Pau to Huesca even before you get to the Somport tunnel.

An alternative scenic route would be to cross from St Jean Pied de Port, which is one of the Camino pilgrimage routes. It has some wiggly stretches but by the time you get there you will be used to the new MH. :)

Screenshot_20240921-195240.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would use Google Maps to check what's open. It is showing road closures on the main route from Pau to Huesca even before you get to the Somport tunnel.

An alternative scenic route would be to cross from St Jean Pied de Port, which is one of the Camino pilgrimage routes. It has some wiggly stretches but by the time you get there you will be used to the new MH. :)

View attachment 953303
Yes that is at Urdos where the road has disappeared shown here;
https://www.connexionfrance.com/new...uts-road-in-two-after-storms-in-france/677572

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back