Embarrassing, frightening, unerving experience

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
You will all think “What a prat.”

I suppose I am a bit lax about security, I don’t know whether my strong optimistic nature leads me to have a sense of invulnerability, or that I am as described above.

On returning from about half an hour in the E Leclerc in Perpignan there was a momentary feeling of puzzlement, which led me to ask my wife “Why did you put my sterling wallet and the passports in your handbag?”. I had found the handbag on the seat by the hab door. That puzzlement was quickly replaced by the realisation that we had been 'turned over'.

It was quite a tidy job, cupboards opened, make-up bags upturned on the bed, the floor storage area hatch opened.

It seemed nothing had been taken - not the two iPads, nor the guitar, and bizarrely not my wife’s handbag, which had been stuffed with the passports, and the credit cards removed from my sterling wallet and Maggie’s purse.

It was only after the shock receded and we began to hide (ha ha) things away again that we realised the only thing that had been taken was the cash in my wallet and her purse - not a large amount of money at all.

Why hadn’t they taken that potentially valuable haul in the handbag?

The real puzzle is this. When we returned, and I activated the remote key fob, if I had forgotten to lock the van, that action would have locked it, and we couldn’t have got in initially. And if I had locked it, how did they get in? There was no sign of damage, anywhere.

And why leave the handbag there, as if ready to snatch, and shut the door. It was almost as if we were being taunted. They could have taken it, but didn't.

Of course now I will be much more rigorous. It could have ruined this whole trip.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
You've been lucky...out of that little haul, the only thing none identifiable was the cash...even if it was just 50eu...it was 50eu for 2 minutes work. Stuff it in your pocket and stroll away.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to read this, must be really uncomfortable feeling.
But perhaps a lucky escape

Could not have been a real gassing they left the 2 iPads :getmecoat:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An unnerving experience. We are a bit obsessive about security. Our passports and any sterling cash are always kept permanently in the MH safe when we are abroad. The only time they come out is if needed to book into a campsite. We carry photocopies of the passports in our wallets. I always have my wallet and debit card with me whenever I leave the MH. Tablets also locked in the safe if we are leaving the MH unattended. The safe also contains my credit card so if I'm mugged I can still access funds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
An unnerving experience. We are a bit obsessive about security. Our passports and any sterling cash are always kept permanently in the MH safe when we are abroad. The only time they come out is if needed to book into a campsite. We carry photocopies of the passports in our wallets. I always have my wallet and debit card with me whenever I leave the MH. Tablets also locked in the safe if we are leaving the MH unattended. The safe also contains my credit card so if I'm mugged I can still access funds.
Where the safe ?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Wonder if they had a look out and happened to see you returning and the quick grab was the money. Sorry to hear of your woes, but thankful it wasn’t worse than it is.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You will all think “What a prat.”

I suppose I am a bit lax about security, I don’t know whether my strong optimistic nature leads me to have a sense of invulnerability, or that I am as described above.

On returning from about half an hour in the E Leclerc in Perpignan there was a momentary feeling of puzzlement, which led me to ask my wife “Why did you put my sterling wallet and the passports in your handbag?”. I had found the handbag on the seat by the hab door. That puzzlement was quickly replaced by the realisation that we had been 'turned over'.

It was quite a tidy job, cupboards opened, make-up bags upturned on the bed, the floor storage area hatch opened.

It seemed nothing had been taken - not the two iPads, nor the guitar, and bizarrely not my wife’s handbag, which had been stuffed with the passports, and the credit cards removed from my sterling wallet and Maggie’s purse.

It was only after the shock receded and we began to hide (ha ha) things away again that we realised the only thing that had been taken was the cash in my wallet and her purse - not a large amount of money at all.

Why hadn’t they taken that potentially valuable haul in the handbag?

The real puzzle is this. When we returned, and I activated the remote key fob, if I had forgotten to lock the van, that action would have locked it, and we couldn’t have got in initially. And if I had locked it, how did they get in? There was no sign of damage, anywhere.

And why leave the handbag there, as if ready to snatch, and shut the door. It was almost as if we were being taunted. They could have taken it, but didn't.

Of course now I will be much more rigorous. It could have ruined this whole trip.

I think you were very lucky and that they were disturbed by you or someone so left the majority of the loot behind. A passport must be worth a lot of money to someone trying to get to the uk for example and credit cards can be used anywhere. No one looks at them when you pay..
Have you checked under the door handles for signs of a small hole ?

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Does this mean we have to keep the Moho occupied when we go shopping? That suits me. I hate shopping so I will stay in the van 👍
I’d leave the wife in the MH ,that way we’d get what we needed not a trolley full of ‘bargains’ ,unusual things that might come in handy and gifts for the grandkids!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We do carry cash with us when travelling abroad.

When in the motorhome it is secreted in two specially adapted and hidden locations. It is very unlikely that anyone would find them in a rushed search for valuables. We only carry “ready money” on us.

Where is it hidden……

……it wouldn’t be secret if I told!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
I stay in the van with the dogs. I dislike shopping in large supermarkets (and shopping in general, motorcycle shops exempted) anyway and their big car parks can be a haven for thieves.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
We have an easy access wallet!!

With a years old account well expired credit card and a few other odd bits in a 5E note and odd other currency notes of little value.

for the “ grab and go” scum bag.

OP
OP
Chuns
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Riverbankannie & Jimbohorlicks, I just had a much closer look at the lock, and yes, there is a very small hole there. Barely visible. That explains it all.

I presume locking system will still work, with it having been a mechanical 'interference'?

One of those protective plate things for me when I get back. Talk about stable doors and bolting horses.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Riverbankannie & Jimbohorlicks, I just had a much closer look at the lock, and yes, there is a very small hole there. Barely visible. That explains it all.

I presume locking system will still work, with it having been a mechanical 'interference'?

One of those protective plate things for me when I get back. Talk about stable doors and bolting horses.
They did our last van the same way ☹️
Personally I wouldn’t add anything that means more damage done if they try again, we had the door of be our Winnebago crow barred open ,causing nearly £10 k of damage ⚠️

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We all have security lapses please don’t let it worry you to much .
Dead locks and alarm will give you a bit of peace of mind
But won’t stop a scum bad theaf just slow them down
All the best for the rest of your trip
Jim can give you some grate security tips
WB

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
They did our last van the same way ☹️
Personally I wouldn’t add anything that means more damage done if they try again, we had the door of be our Winnebago crow barred open ,causing nearly £10 k of damage ⚠️

I think you may be right. It will always be quite easy to crowbar open - it's a few seconds work - and it's just the amount of damage that changes.

Alarms and visible LEDs may be the more effective deterrent.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had my purse stollen when I forgot to do something I “always” do. I’d been kind and helped a load of people buy tickets at a railway station. The train was delayed an hour and then cancelled. In amongst this helpfulness I forgot to padlock my bag.

Fortunately I split my cards and cash between 2 purses and the other was in the van. They also didn’t get my iPhone so everything was cancelled in minutes.

Don’t beat yourself up. Mistakes happen.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I think you may be right. It will always be quite easy to crowbar open - it's a few seconds work - and it's just the amount of damage that changes.

Alarms and visible LEDs may be the more effective deterrent.

I had never really appreciated how quick some of these events can be.

Not motorhome-related, but something I was able to piece together for the police and my neighbour from camera footage.

A group of men broke through a side gate to my property (latched and locked) with a crowbar, cut across my back yard, jumped the fence, broke into the house of my neighbour in the house behind, stole some valuables, and made their way back out the same way.

Time elapsed from detection arriving on my drive to leaving the same way: 6 minutes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Even if just nipping into a supermarket I lock the cab deadlocks and use the arm thing across the cab door. So far the visual deterrent has worked and there's been no break in attempts 🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back