Elon Musk has his sights set on a major world RV rollout as early as next year!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
OK, I'll rewrite my letter and change it to a C&MHC greenfield CL site in Wales.

My point is:
I have yet to see my first EV charging point on a UK campsite (Seen a couple in Germany).
It would appear most UK campsites are not yet ready for the day when the majority of vehicles arriving are EV's and expect to be able to trickle charge overnight.

I'm only aware of one UK site where electricity is metered (Shingle Hall Farm near Rye) although no doubt there will be others.
Why would EVs be expecting to trickle charge overnight? Even on a fairly small car I only get about 7 miles of charge per hour on a three pin socket but I could charge a lot more quickly on a public charger on the way there. Don't get me wrong if it was available and cheap I would but it needn't be essential in fact with a huge by comparison battery on board and EV would be very good off grid for some time.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Why would EVs be expecting to trickle charge overnight? Even on a fairly small car I only get about 7 miles of charge per hour on a three pin socket but I could charge a lot more quickly on a public charger on the way there. Don't get me wrong if it was available and cheap I would but it needn't be essential in fact with a huge by comparison battery on board and EV would be very good off grid for some time.
I had no idea it was so few miles per hour.

That said, an overnight charge would give you 100 miles.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Destination chargers are often 7kW, same as home AC charger. Enough to charge most stuff overnight. And most people don't arrive empty and need to be full the next day.

I've seen several UK campsites with an EV charging point now. But not on pitches yet. Only at a dedicated parking spot. So no good for EV mohos yet. But we're a few years away from them being more than a novelty. It'll improve.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
OK, I'll rewrite my letter and change it to a C&MHC greenfield CL site in Wales.

My point is:
I have yet to see my first EV charging point on a UK campsite (Seen a couple in Germany).
It would appear most UK campsites are not yet ready for the day when the majority of vehicles arriving are EV's and expect to be able to trickle charge overnight.

I'm only aware of one UK site where electricity is metered (Shingle Hall Farm near Rye) although no doubt there will be others.
Seen a few now?

Refurbished CAMC sites have them;

At a nice site on the IoW.

To be honest, I don't need them, so don't go looking for them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One paragraph in the next Budget could change this at the stroke of a pen, however it would need to have an upper limit (say10% above the current rate paid by the meter owner), because you can bet that every single owner of an HMO, student accommodation, hostel, Air BnB, etc. would immediately add the 10% to every tenant.
You apply it specifically to sites only, ruling out any type of housing.failing that you make all in your quote liable to have the electric bill in the tenants name ,so ruling that out also.
That said, an overnight charge would give you 100 miles.
Not a lot of use on a long distance run.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In the top right hand of the photo, part of the stage structure seems to be attached to the van ! I'm going with fake news, or a witch hunt?
Mike.
Well spotted. If you follow the roof line from the front to the back it is obvious an AI generated image.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
1730042530145.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What ! No bedtime story 😥
Oh yes every night…..a dystopian nightmare where an egotistic south African bleeds money from every person in the world ….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back