Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Shell Energy
Current Rates
Electric 30.295 per KWH @49.95 per day Standing charge.
Gas 7.607 Pence per KWH @ 29.11 per day Standing charge.
Come on folks what are paying for your gas these days? It matters if you haven't got/allowed a log burner, and I hope those on oil can get a decent deal to fill their tanks over winter.
PS: Our averaged daily electric usage is now 7 KWH per day, much reduced from previous years of 10/11 KWH per day.
Roof faces wrong way for solar, envious of those neighbours that have had it installed, only neg is they are cutting 100 year old trees down to provide more light, but its opening up rear views that we have never witnessed before, of other houses.:cry:
LES

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our Gas.

1691342042906.png

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We're on octopus tracker, the price changes daily, but since we. Hanged in March, it has rarely been above 4p, no ties, so can jump at any time.
Screenshot_20230806_183351_energy.octopus.octopusenergy.android.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I'm surprised, OVO have just reduced my direct debit by £50/month.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
These standing charges are mad. Mines currently 23p a day as I'm still on a fix from Sept 2021. - pre price rises. Now they seem to be around 50p. So If I'm away for 3 months I'm still paying £45 for no use. and thats just electric. Apparently Gas is 29p a day so that will be £26 for 90 days.

£70 for 3 month gas and electric when I'm not even using any!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So I got a email reply from Octopus today;

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your flexible tariff. I can confirm that we do operate a dynamic pricing system, which means that the unit rates and standing charges on your tariff can change depending on a number of factors, such as wholesale energy prices and network costs.

The rates you are seeing for other Octopus users on the flexible tariff may be different to yours due to a number of reasons, such as their location, usage patterns, and when they joined the tariff. However, I can assure you that we do not charge what we think our customers can pay, and we strive to offer fair and transparent pricing to all our customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns about your tariff, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Nazlee

I cannot see how this is in any way a transparent and I will be asking them how I should be charged more than others when I have been between £1000 and £500 in credit for the last 3.5 years !

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your flexible tariff. I can confirm that we do operate a dynamic pricing system, which means that the unit rates and standing charges on your tariff can change depending on a number of factors, such as wholesale energy prices and network costs.

The rates you are seeing for other Octopus users on the flexible tariff may be different to yours due to a number of reasons, such as their location, usage patterns, and when they joined the tariff. However, I can assure you that we do not charge what we think our customers can pay, and we strive to offer fair and transparent pricing to all our customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns about your tariff, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Nazlee

I cannot see how this is in any way a transparent and I will be asking them how I should be charged more than others when I have been between £1000 and £500 in credit for the last 3.5 years !
I think there is confusion here, the flexible tariff is "dynamic" in that rates are not fixed, and move with markets, they are not "dynamic" in that on a Monday afternoon Essex might increase whereas Hampshire might decrease. It simply reflects market conditions in the same way as tracker mortgage might do. (there is some minor regional variation)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.

Kind regards,

Nazlee

You should ask for a refund, I do regularly.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What do people think of their response? I am wondering how this can be transparent when no 2 Octopus customers would not normally know what each other is paying.
Also is it fair that some are paying more per Unit than others supposedly on the same tariff ?

Does anyone have any questions I should put to Octopus ? I intend to formulate some questions of my own.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Octopus have lots of different tariffs make sure you are comparing the same ones.

This link gives you the tracker tariffs for all regions, select on the left hand side and below are the flexible tariffs. As you can see there is a massive difference. You need to sit down with a stiff drink to work out what is best for you.

Attachments

• Ofgem_Price_Cap_and_Flexible_Octopus_rates_-_July_2023__-_FOR_THE_BLOG.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 34
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Works out quite well for us because our ancient mechanical economy 7 meter is way out and we gecheap rate most of the day.
Yep, we've got the same set up.
We continually get pestered to embrace the advantages of a smart meter (sic) !! Poke that.
Mike.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We have just been informed that our current energy provider Shell Energy has sold out to Octopus Energy, as part of their ongoing energy plans for The UK.
It was also stated that the Gov gave Octopus Energy an interest free loan to buy out the now defunct Bulb Energy, which of course did happen.
Then because the gov needed to recoup this very large interest free loan to Octopus, they made us all pay double the daily standing charge rates since then, with no idea as to when sufficient be be raised to cover the loan to Octopus.:swear:
That doesn't seem very fair to me, Octopus Energy making huge profits on suppling energy to us, no doubt in the meantime, while those that have to choose between eat or heat in the cold months suffer.

PS: not every pensioner is on Universal Credits, so other than the £400 hand out that everyone got, there is no further help.
LES

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Clowns running the circus will sanction laughable acts 😉.
Mike.

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Free electricity again from Midnight to 6 am (average over 6 hours) for those of us on the Octopus Agile Tariff.
and again 11am to 4pm tomorrow afternoon.
In fact, negative price in the afternoon. Not a lot, but better than a kick in the teeth. :cautious:

Shame the van is fully charged with the solar panel. but the hot water will be nice tomorrow. (in the house and van). :giggle::giggle:

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Worth noting (despite being on Agile..) theres also a New Octpus thing:

Free electricity! Tommorow for me, 1 hour where I can just fill my boots regardless of the actual cost.

Note this seems to be avialble to all tariffs not just Agile, so if you are an Octopus customer and NOT signed up for it... do you want free stuff, then signup on the link above.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Worth noting (despite being on Agile..) theres also a New Octpus thing:

Free electricity! Tommorow for me, 1 hour where I can just fill my boots regardless of the actual cost.

Note this seems to be avialble to all tariffs not just Agile, so if you are an Octopus customer and NOT signed up for it... do you want free stuff, then signup on the link above.
Surprisingly the agile tariff at that time is not free unless you sign up.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We have just been informed that our current energy provider Shell Energy has sold out to Octopus Energy, as part of their ongoing energy plans for The UK.
It was also stated that the Gov gave Octopus Energy an interest free loan to buy out the now defunct Bulb Energy, which of course did happen.
Then because the gov needed to recoup this very large interest free loan to Octopus, they made us all pay double the daily standing charge rates since then, with no idea as to when sufficient be be raised to cover the loan to Octopus.:swear:
That doesn't seem very fair to me, Octopus Energy making huge profits on suppling energy to us, no doubt in the meantime, while those that have to choose between eat or heat in the cold months suffer.
Out of interest, the Octopus acquisition cost the gov NOTHGIN

The deal was structured such that if Octopus made money on it (they did) the Government would get the excess. Which they have.

Unlike the other acquisitions that cost us all money, Octopus in doing right thing non-shock. I note that British Gas and the other companies that bailed out companies DID NOT do the same.

So all our bills went up to pay for the OTHER failed energy firms, not Bulb.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes but the now enormously increased daily standing charges remain, with no sign of Offgen or anyone else making any attempt to reduce them to anywhere near "Normal" rates as they were before the Ukraine Conflict.
Even allowing for RPI increases our energy bills including standing charges are exceptionally high, which we are told today is raising the UK Inflation rate to 2.2%.
We hear that Labour want to set up GB energy, push through & bypass planning objections by all the Nimby's and local councils to build many more land based windfarms, including new Pylon Networks needed to deliver the power to the Grid.
Then in the news we read about this billionaire 96 year old Hong Kong business man buying up another £360 million worth of land wind farms, to add to his already massive energy portfolio in The UK, and Overseas. So much for nationalisation eh? (see MSN link below)
LES

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Exactly 65.12/day just for Electric Standing Charge, the Unit price may have reduced in July, but the standing charge didnt...its a total rip off.
LES

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
You should do research to find the best deal available to you for gas and electricity for your domestic supply.
Whether you need to plug the motorhome in to charge is a different question. If you have solar panels, it may not be necessary especially in summer, unless atm with this very damp cloudy summer in the UK
Mind you, the solar panels don't work well in a garage! Just sayin'!

(The downside of keeping it out of the weather)

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Exactly 65.12/day just for Electric Standing Charge, the Unit price may have reduced in July, but the standing charge didnt...its a total rip off.
LES
Yep. That's 'green' energy for you.

Disparate small energy sources, and more money required to fund transmission.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Yes but the now enormously increased daily standing charges remain, with no sign of Offgen or anyone else making any attempt to reduce them to anywhere near "Normal" rates as they were before the Ukraine Conflict.
I think the issue here is the British Gas payouts which we as a country paid lots to British Gas (who were actually buying Russian gas so needed bailing out) when they tookover around one third of all the failed energy companies (Octopus got a thirds, and last third spread across the remaining companies).

ie, yes, unlike the Octopus deal we still are paying for these Bailouts, for the next 5 years in the standing charges. British Gas do not mention this in their annual results funnily enough but you can see comments from Octopus's CEO on some of the bad deals done at that time without calling out any particular firm.

ie, I don't expect standing fees to reduce until 2027 ish annoyingly unless the Government reduces the "green taxes" which are also part of electricity standing fees (but not gas!!). And they will increase standing charges next year for those os us without smart meters too as the cross subsidy where smart meters subsidise non-smart will finish (I expect a big story in press in a year) Funnily enough meter men reading meters costs more -> the chargins announcement was granted by ofgem to allow this only a few months ago and is published on your local distribution networks website if you take a look.

Then in the news we read about this billionaire 96 year old Hong Kong business man buying up another £360 million worth of land wind farms, to add to his already massive energy portfolio in The UK, and Overseas. So much for nationalisation eh? (see MSN link below)
LES
The key quote
"
However, their real value may lie in the potential for “repowering” the existing turbines. This means the machines can be replaced with much larger ones that generate more profit.

"
Thats all it is, the Hong Kong businessman has invested a ton in UK, he actually owns the Three networks across most of EU. Can't blame him seeing a repowering opportunity (a wind farm I invest in has about triple the output of the surrounding farm (in Wales) as those were build 10 years prior), bet you'll find some of those assets are the ones he's purchased.

Honestly the Labour governement need to renationalise the Distribution operators, as these are the people causing grid connection delays today (it's rarely national grid themselves, as they have a relatively small actual physical network).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back