May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Sorted now, but why did it trip?

We tripped the site box as soon as we landed as it's only 4 amp. So I decided to use the kettle (3.2 Amps) and the water heater (unknown) separately.

Then I decided to set the victron multicontrol to 4 amps max and leave the inverter on. This seemed OK and the water heater by itself was drawing on the inverter so more than 4 amps. After an hour I switched the water heater off as the blue light on the multicontrol was telling me "battery getting low of overload" All was then OK

An hour later with nothing on mains (except the fridge and charger) and the mains decided to cut off. It hadn't tripped the switches as all were still on, including the ones on the Victron inverter. There was just no power anywhere.

Another hour spent getting the site manager to check his box was OK and eventually repeatedly switching every switch off together and back on and the 240v reinstated itself.

But why did all the mains shut off in the first place?

Reactions: ctc
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
The manual says that it must be switched swiftly from on to charger. Hesitation at "off" will trip the system and need resetting. Maybe that's been the issue all along.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The manual says that it must be switched swiftly from on to charger. Hesitation at "off" will trip the system and need resetting. Maybe that's been the issue all along.
Are you sure that its not only for activate equalising charge? Read the manual. Toggling from on to charger while the inverter is on, I remember is for forcing equalisation charge.
The charger only switch will work just normal if you want the charger only.

Yiu still need to have a look at the multiplus setting for the grid side. Something must be set there that does not like.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Are you sure that its not only for activate equalising charge? Read the manual. Toggling from on to charger while the inverter is on, I remember is for forcing equalisation charge.
The charger only switch will work just normal if you want the charger only.

Yiu still need to have a look at the multiplus setting for the grid side. Something must be set there that does not like.
Wish I even understood half of it. I've looked at settings but backed away from touching what I don't understand.
I did read about equalising the charge by toggling this, not that I know what that means.
The issue of losing all mains power seems I think to be pointing towards having used the inverter (Making a cuppa on rouute) and then switched back to chargeing only, only to find a power outage at the next stop with hook-up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Mains off again and doesn't seem to want to return. Sometimes when switching to try to get it back it trips the site bollard. It's a year since it previously went awol. I wonder if there is something on this site that it doesn't like. Nobody else having a problem. Everywhere else over the last year we plug in and no problem then on one site it's iffy to offy. It may be as Raul says, a setting in the Victron but I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
After two days of failure, moved to another site today and the electric immediately returned.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
When I get home I'll check all the settings against the factory settings. There maybe some settings that are too sensitive for certain campsite supply.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Post here the AC settings

If nothing comes out, and no relay noise when you connect to ehu, check with multimeter on multiplus terminals to see if ehu AC is reaching there. If it does, and still no relay closing, it's not synchronising.
But, it should still output on AC 1 out of the battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back