Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
We are considering purchasing a couple of folding electric bikes . Has anyone got any experience of them and recommendations please . We are looking for portability , range and quick charging time . Donā€™t want much do we lol šŸ˜€
Thanks guys

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Excellent bikes of course. And they make electric versions.

In addition to the normal consideration of pros and cons (and they do go in both directions even with a quality product like a Brompton) I had to think about ā€¦ price!

2 cycles for Ā£ 2,400 or ā€¦ about Ā£ 7,000? Well, let me have a thinkā€¦
2 cycles for Ā£ 2,400 each is on the cheaper side for a quality Ebike.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I have a Woosh gran Camino, bought last feb, it has the ability to be driven with only pedalling to start off then continue with a thumb throttle. Sold as being legal.
I expect you have that the wrong way round.
The Ebike can have powered start system ( I think it's <6km/h) after that it has to be pedal assist.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
2 cycles for Ā£ 2,400 each is on the cheaper side for a quality Ebike.
It is cheap. That is why their marketing splurb linked at the start has an (I think) Guardian article which calls it good value.

Pretty ok from my perspective and solid. Just to get around, not for the Tour de France. Design wise it has a cadence-sensing motor rather than a torque-sensing one which is the cheaper of the two ways of doing it.

(And itā€™s Ā£ 1,200 each - Ā£ 2,400 for 2!)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I expect you have that the wrong way round.
The Ebike can have powered start system ( I think it's <6km/h) after that it has to be pedal assist.
Actually he's right, they do say that it can be used throttle only:
5. How do the electrics work?

Just switch on the key and either start pedalling or turn the throttle gently down towards you.
The bike will move along under its own power, and braking will cut this off.
Woosh bikes have both pedal and throttle assist, european made bikes only have pedal assist.

I can't see any mention of the legality of them though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2021
Saxmundham, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Since 2013
When I bought from Woosh it said on the website that they were legal due to some certification, but not on the website now! I wonder why?
Wisper also sell DVSA certified bikes. Their website states "L1e bikes are only recognised in the UK. It is the userā€™s responsibility to ensure the bike is legal before using the bike outside the UK." It also states "If you are intending to take your Wisper bike out of the UK, it is your responsibility to check it may be used legally at your destination. We can for a Ā£55.00 fee re-restrict your bike for you whilst you are out of the UK and de-restrict it for you when you get home, this work has to be done physically at our HQ in Kent."
They will also upgrade existing Wisper bikes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Pedibal's FAQ quote about legislation
"The UK law regarding electric bikes is slightly different to EU laws, you can check the full UK laws if you want some more information"

Then goes on to say:
"the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it"

However, the UK Legislation is actually
"The pedals must be in motion for electric assistance to be provided"

So, while I appreciate the chance of being 'caught' is low, the company is misleading it's potential clientele.

For me, "Barge pole" springs to mind...
I agree that any electric bike that doesn't require pedalling to provide assistance and that goes over 15.5mph is illegal, in practice the chances of being caught are minimal to none unless you were being silly and speeding through a pedestrian zone at 30mph.

I think the whole electric bike/scooter situation needs to be re evaluated. Present laws are pointless, not enforced, riders and commercial sellers break them daily.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My advice would be whatever you choose make sure they have a minimum of front suspension. I donā€™t think youā€™ll find quick charging
Personally I wouldn't bother with front suspension, just extra weight and something else to go rusty and stop working, I have ridden 10's of 1000's of miles without suspension including mountain bikes and Tandems.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Wisper also sell DVSA certified bikes. Their website states "L1e bikes are only recognised in the UK. It is the userā€™s responsibility to ensure the bike is legal before using the bike outside the UK." It also states "If you are intending to take your Wisper bike out of the UK, it is your responsibility to check it may be used legally at your destination. We can for a Ā£55.00 fee re-restrict your bike for you whilst you are out of the UK and de-restrict it for you when you get home, this work has to be done physically at our HQ in Kent."
They will also upgrade existing Wisper bikes.

It doesn't seem to refer to the pedal/throttle aspect here but does talk about 'type approval ' . Not sure what that means. Can type approval get around the restrictions? But does that then mean you need to be taxed/insured/ only on the road/helmet like a moped?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Personally I wouldn't bother with front suspension, just extra weight and something else to go rusty and stop working, I have ridden 10's of 1000's of miles without suspension including mountain bikes and Tandems.
Does make a big difference and none of our suspension has rusted, as they say you pay your money and take your choice

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Seems there is more 'guidance' than actual 'legislation' for UK - what a mess...

So, while EU legislation (article 3) is explicit, maybe sense prevails re 'twist-n-go' (at least in GB EAPC information sheet)?

Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals - usually called ā€œTwist and Goesā€ - are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed.

Won't help the legality of using throttles in EU but, as noted, chances of being 'caught' are infinitesimally small...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Seems there is more 'guidance' than actual 'legislation' for UK - what a mess...

So, while EU legislation (article 3) is explicit, maybe sense prevails re 'twist-n-go' (at least in GB EAPC information sheet)?

Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals - usually called ā€œTwist and Goesā€ - are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed.

Won't help the legality of using throttles in EU but, as noted, chances of being 'caught' are infinitesimally small...
Recently met up with Portuguese friends. Man had electric cycle with a thumb operated throttle in addition to the normal pedal assist. ā€œThey all offer itā€ he said. I would imagine the chances of being ā€œcaughtā€ are pretty low here too. I canā€™t be bothered with getting legal opinions in every jurisdiction as if I was going to be in the dock for the trial of the century. šŸ˜€ Iā€™ll simply keep pedalling when I see a cop - no need to be provocative. And Iā€™ll have my ā€œpapiereā€ with me.

(Never mind all the places where the electric scooters scoot around - they seem to be everywhere and no-one seems to be paying any attention.)

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
My experience in Italy is that they are more tolerant of electric bikes/scooters anyway. I remember being out in a busy pedestrianised area and big, fat wheeled electric bikes weaving in and out of pedestrians at speed - no pedalling. All the teenagers had them.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Well, if the DVSA act in ignorance they will just have to explain it to the court!
I would worry more about your insurance cover were you responsible for an accident - the insurance company would be all over the legislation - oh I know you will see the in court.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
We have a couple of Carrera Cross City folders. 20Kg each including the battery. Not that we need to fold them since we changed moho. 20" wheels, so a good compromise on space v stability. Must be honest though, we haven't used them an exceptional amount. I sometimes ponder on the uses I could put that bit of payload to. More cheap plonk for instance.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back