EHU Cable length (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi all
We have just ordered a Roller Team T-Line 700 as our first motorhome only having camped before so new to the EHU world. Wondering what people’s views are on what length of cable to get. Have seen a few comments in various places that 10m ones can be on the short side depending on the site layout but one comment suggested 25m which seems a bit belt, braces and piece of string especially as I get that you need to unroll the whole cable to avoid the overheating issue when in use.
As ever thanks in advance for all the comments!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Do you fancy carrying and gripping a live 16a socket in the pouring rain.

Hell no!

That’s why we have Darwin Awards.

Tony
The trailing socket has a cap and should be at least IP44 rated. IP44 would not withstand immersion or pressure washing but should be safe against water splashes and rain.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It seems normal for the continentals to leave their ehu cable wound on the drum. I think the reason is that a lot of continental vans only have gas heating so only a low wattage load. A lot of sites only have a 6A or less hookups too.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Do you fancy carrying and gripping a live 16a socket in the pouring rain.

Hell no!

That’s why we have Darwin Awards.

Tony
I think talk of gripping live sockets in the rain and being a contender for the Darwin Awards is a bit sensationalist and melodramatic.

But, I'm always willing to learn (and if necessary change my ways) , so is there any real risk in normal usage scenarios to plugging into the EHU post first? At the moment I plug in whichever end I'm closest to first, which tends to be the van. Any reported deaths, injuries from doing this? I can't see where the additional risk arises. As Richard n Ann says if it's absolutely bucketing it down I wouldn't be outside playing with electricity anyway.

Ps. Not sure why I'm so interested anyway as we mostly wild camp, and out of typically 120 nights away each year, the number of times I use EHU each year I can count on my fingers.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
We unwound our 25m cable which was just long enough to reach bollard. Left the stellplatz today and couldn't the reel which was Christmas present from my wife.
We obviously didn't pack it away quick enough and someone took a fancy to it. 😥

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think talk of gripping live sockets in the rain and being a contender for the Darwin Awards is a bit sensationalist and melodramatic.

But, I'm always willing to learn (and if necessary change my ways) , so is there any real risk in normal usage scenarios to plugging into the EHU post first? At the moment I plug in whichever end I'm closest to first, which tends to be the van. Any reported deaths, injuries from doing this? I can't see where the additional risk arises. As Richard n Ann says if it's absolutely bucketing it down I wouldn't be outside playing with electricity anyway.

Ps. Not sure why I'm so interested anyway as we mostly wild camp, and out of typically 120 nights away each year, the number of times I use EHU each year I can count on my fingers.
Perhaps people who habitually do daft things think we ALL need these rules and regulations because we're all as daft as them, ie walking in the pouring rain holding a live lead 😆

It always strikes me that people who love speed limits are poor drivers, anyway I'm drifting from topic 😏

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012

Maybe you have never come across a colleague who was electrocuted this way.

Enough of this unnecessary risk.

Life is too precious.

Tony

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Life is too precious.

Tony
I agree it’s a risk especially the way some treat their EHU cables, and I use sensible practices when handling the cable.

However, I do not know of, or even had a mates , mate who knows of, anyone who has been electrocuted in this way.

I have personally seen a coiled cable begin to overheat and the integrity of the cable be compromised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I distracted myself, and several others, musing about plugging in leads and ignored the OP’s original question. I carry a 25m CCE cable and a 12.5m cable but with a French water-resistant socket and a Shuko plug on the other end. I presume that people mean Shuko when saying 2 pin? Together with a home-made 2m tail lead that fits the van and has a matching French water-resitant plug at the other end plus a pair of the short adaptor leads I have always been ok. As several have said Spain and Portugal often require longer leads so I also take a Shuko-based reel. I hope the OP realises that a full-form French plug will not fit into a Shuko socket.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
25m.

Caravan Club sites often require this length. But no joins, they are cracking down this year and will ask you to unplug and move pitch.
During lock down I had a CE marked Y connector split for the van and the freezer the club warden didn’t not like this and advised connect to the moho and a lead from the Moho to the freezer so I get what they may not like a split connection.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Life is too precious.

Tony
Electricity is dangerous, a mates Son was electrocuted and died when he touched a record turn table and his toe touched a pipe in the lounge. The turn table wasn’t earthed and had been in use for years….

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
2 x20m wirh 16amp plugs, 1 x EU plug adapter, 1 x UK plug adapter,....and a splitter for emergencies..

2nd cable added 20% of the time over the last 10yrs I reckon.

No cable roll, loose wound.

I never worry about reverse polarity, EU van with EU sockets.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
considering I only plug in at home or friends I have a 25m, 15m,5m, + 3m splitter, female to 2pin , female to uk 3pin, 2pin to female 90º elbow ,male to female 90º blue plug/socket adaptor complete with 2pin female outlet,short 2pin male to female. plus other tat.think the cable bag weighs around 20kgs:giggler:
I think you are missing a couple of adapters to make the full kit 😂

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I am happy to leave mine on the roll. Only used to run the battery charger.
If you buy a cable that is already on a roll, then the manufacturers will specify two amps ratings - one fully unwound and another fully wound. If the fully unwound limit is 16A then the fully wound limit will be in the range of 6A to 10A.

So you can use that principle to decide on how many amps you can send along a fully wound cable. I'd say 6A was OK, but over 8A you'd have to fully unwind it. In summer with gas water heating and cooking, 6A is plenty. A fridge takes about 1A.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
2 x 25m leads
(All marked with our number plate at the ends, for German campsites where multiple splitters are often used)

Plus:
  • 4 way C Form splitter
  • 3 pin plug to C form
  • C form to 3 pin socket
  • EU 2 pin to C form
  • Conventional 3 pin plug to 4 way socket with surge protection (for running lights and laptops under the awning.)
  • 2 x 5m 3 pin plugs attached to a cable to a light socket (Like a nice inspection lamp) for lighting the awning
  • and of course 20m of outdoor Xmas lights
Every item has been used at least once this year.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back