EE data only from Amazon (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would like to know if anybody is using this sim deal in a router , would would work out reasonable if it worked for the time advertised
1719764221084.png

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a three 350gb 28 month data only sim directly from scan over a year ago and has worked faultlessly in a Huawei B535 router since

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Yes. We got one several months ago (think it expires Jan 2025). Has worked fine. So much so that we've decided not to go with the fibre broadband that our village has finally got as the EE sim is about a third of the price per month.

We're heavy data users as well. Most tv is streamed and OH works from home a lot.

We do have direct line of sight across a field to the local mast, so this probably helps.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does it allow roaming?

A lot of business sims don't allow.
No but I would use a Reglo sim again for France.
Saying you don’t use it for 3 months I think it would still work out at £16 R mont you use it

Last edited:
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I would like to know if anybody is using this sim deal in a router , would would work out reasonable if it worked for the time advertised
Yes, using 3 of em, and had 2 going since 2020. We renewed in April 2022, then again this April.

Edit to add I also use the Three versions. I also have many customers who buy their own from scancom. It's a good price and so good many of my customers have removed home broadband in favour of using scancom sims.

Should add you can also see from the public sales data that they sell a LOT of these sims, and you should treat reviews with a bit of a pinch of salt as some people use them with cat4 devices, or blame network for poor signal when it's sometimes their kit.

I was happily speedtesting on a scancom Three sim this weekend at a CACC site (St Neots) at > 800Mbit .. (yes in a 5g phone) as it's first campsite I've seen 5g with that kind of performance on!.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I dont have an EE sim, but do have a Three sim and O2 Sim from Scancom. The Three Sim is in the van router and 02 in my home router. Both work fine though I have always found Three to be slower than all the other providers.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes, using 3 of em, and had 2 going since 2020. We renewed in April 2022, then again this April.

Edit to add I also use the Three versions. I also have many customers who buy their own from scancom. It's a good price and so good many of my customers have removed home broadband in favour of using scancom sims.

Should add you can also see from the public sales data that they sell a LOT of these sims, and you should treat reviews with a bit of a pinch of salt as some people use them with cat4 devices, or blame network for poor signal when it's sometimes their kit.

I was happily speedtesting on a scancom Three sim this weekend at a CACC site (St Neots) at > 800Mbit .. (yes in a 5g phone) as it's first campsite I've seen 5g with that kind of performance on!.
Didn’t see you at St Neots when I walked through Saturday morning but then I wouldn’t know what to look for 🤣🤣
They sound good just a big outlay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Didn’t see you at St Neots when I walked through Saturday morning but then I wouldn’t know what to look for 🤣🤣
They sound good just a big outlay.
We're the couple in the Bailey with the loud mini schnauzer on patrol (we were down next to the River launch).

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life

Hi I was interested in what you are saying about Scancom - I just have one question- what is actually better about them? Don’t you get the same speed and service if you have a SIM from the network company directly?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi I was interested in what you are saying about Scancom - I just have one question- what is actually better about them? Don’t you get the same speed and service if you have a SIM from the network company directly?
For me two main things.
The cost/month and business data service vs "retail" data service.
btw they are data only, no minutes/texts.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
In short, nope. SHould clarify a 3 business contract direct with Three is equivelent to a scancom one.

In my testing smarty gets worst priority on a busy cell with three (Smarty is owned by three, but a budget brand).. Then 3 retail is slightly less congested, then 3 business has the least congestion. A data sim also has no issues being used in a mifi device, where a contract with calls will likely have speed limits applied in some cases.

It's a easy way for people like my customers to get a full data sims, with the best possible peformance for a tiny amount per month. It's worth noting a EE retail contract for unlimited data is about double to triple the cost of a better prioritised business sim from scancom.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're the couple in the Bailey with the loud mini schnauzer on patrol (we were down next to the River launch).
You either don’t have funster sticker or silver screens because I always look out for funster stickers, it’s a shame we could have had a chat.
Where on a CS in Wyboston and I’ve just put my wife’s (Shrimp ) new 1p mobile sim (ee network ) in our Huawei b535 and got 46 mbps where my smarty is getting 2.2 mbps.
So I think it’s time to change, I may try 1p mobile at £20 for 200gb just for the first month and then go for a Sancom if it works ok on our travels

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
You either don’t have funster sticker or silver screens because I always look out for funster stickers, it’s a shame we could have had a chat.
Where on a CS in Wyboston and I’ve just put my wife’s (Shrimp ) new 1p mobile sim (ee network ) in our Huawei b535 and got 46 mbps where my smarty is getting 2.2 mbps.
So I think it’s time to change, I may try 1p mobile at £20 for 200gb just for the first month and then go for a Sancom if it works ok on our travels
We're getting the funster sticker at teh Norwich show hopefully (didn't see any point in sending p&p for one when its a few weeks away). I was about helping a friend install a flylead with mc4 connectors for his solar panels a lot of Saturday morning when not cooking (I'm the cook!), but was sat in the shade under awning with a ice machine producing ice next to me via my own solar setup on Sat (with drink in hand watching the boats).

If you were at St Neots, our cat12 4g router was managing over 80Mbit on three this weekend, our phone with same sim (which can do 5g) got 800Mbit.. And yeah, try 1p mobile for EE, it'a always worth having a EE sim (and Three) and to be honest I've never found a site one of other has not worked.

St Neots cetainally was the best internet we've ever had at a campsite, so good we looking to book another week there in August to "work from van" for us both given it's better than home connection why not... just awaiting a bit more solar before we do it.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're getting the funster sticker at teh Norwich show hopefully (didn't see any point in sending p&p for one when its a few weeks away). I was about helping a friend install a flylead with mc4 connectors for his solar panels a lot of Saturday morning when not cooking (I'm the cook!), but was sat in the shade under awning with a ice machine producing ice next to me via my own solar setup on Sat (with drink in hand watching the boats).

If you were at St Neots, our cat12 4g router was managing over 80Mbit on three this weekend, our phone with same sim (which can do 5g) got 800Mbit.. And yeah, try 1p mobile for EE, it'a always worth having a EE sim (and Three) and to be honest I've never found a site one of other has not worked.

St Neots cetainally was the best internet we've ever had at a campsite, so good we looking to book another week there in August to "work from van" for us both given it's better than home connection why not... just awaiting a bit more solar before we do it.
I’m on a cat 7 router as you probably know from recent post about very poor data at Canterbury CCC last weekend using the Smarty sim.
I see the 3 unlimited sim is about £40 cheaper than the EE version but wonder how they compare.
As we use this site in Wyboston a lot we just want the best we can, I still may upgrade my router to a better cat.( that’s if its not chased off my our Parsons Russell 🤣🤣)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I’m on a cat 7 router as you probably know from recent post about very poor data at Canterbury CCC last weekend using the Smarty sim.
I see the 3 unlimited sim is about £40 cheaper than the EE version but wonder how they compare.
With three I actually wouldn't (and don't usually) buy the unlimited. The reason is https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D2XWPPXB/?tag=mhf04-21 exists.

I don't think we've ever used 500Gb in a month. It's effectively near unlimited for .. a lot less (£129 for 2.5 years service, so effectively real cost of £50 a year, or £4 ish a month), wheere unlimited is £199 for a sim that is only really 2 years... so £100 a year, ie, double the cost.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not seen that 3 sim, I was only looking at unlimited because we get near 200gb , especially when our sat is playing up.
Just got to decide on 3 business or dearer EE business

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Should add to Gellyneck and others considering Scancom, they have just this morning rang me having seen my amazon order history with them, and ahem, yes, I'll be phoning them for renewals direct rather than using Amazon (which I was using for convienience), as I now have an account manager with them.

Unbelieveably the sims are even cheaper in bulk - Useful for people who run > 8 sims in their business

I would still order via Amazon if you are a smaller concern/ only need a single sim, just calling out if you do need multiple sims, you can get a better deal by phoning them. (which is nuts consider how much cheaper they are than dealing with the network(s) directly already).

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Buried in the t&cs Scancom do say you need to be a business for their sims and that if you are not they somehow treat you as one. I assume this is a paper box ticking thing rather than a problem to the individual?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Buried in the t&cs Scancom do say you need to be a business for their sims and that if you are not they somehow treat you as one. I assume this is a paper box ticking thing rather than a problem to the individual?
How can they possibly tell is my answer; A self employed individual is eligable -> and any of us could be that. It''s similar I would say to how many people may be Costco members through similar shenannigins (in fact if you not an eligable by profession for Costco the staff will walk you through being self employed evidence in many stores).

And data on a phone is data... its' not like phones where they can tell (business use is several times that of a domestic cell customer on average).

If they do ring you for anything they will ask to confirm you are a self employed or businesss, I can't see how answering that in positive is anything dodgy, after all if you sell a single item on ebay a year you technically are earning income so thus self-employed.. (HMRC actually check this out of interest, and do follow up if you don't do a tax return after selling > £500 or so of stuff on vinted/ebay now).

Given I have to do a tax return every year in my case as I do consultancy work it's not even untrue in my case, but given the price of a domestic contract is around 3 times a scancom one, it would be a white lie I would be happy to make in my case if it was not actually true ;)

And yes, I would say it's box ticking, as they can only offer these to businesses so they can't be seem to undercut the networks on retail contracts... which as said are a LOT more, hence why unlimited data is around 7-£10 from them, and £20-25 direct with a network minimum.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Should add to Gellyneck and others considering Scancom, they have just this morning rang me having seen my amazon order history with them, and ahem, yes, I'll be phoning them for renewals direct rather than using Amazon (which I was using for convienience), as I now have an account manager with them.

Unbelieveably the sims are even cheaper in bulk - Useful for people who run > 8 sims in their business

I would still order via Amazon if you are a smaller concern/ only need a single sim, just calling out if you do need multiple sims, you can get a better deal by phoning them. (which is nuts consider how much cheaper they are than dealing with the network(s) directly already).
Yes, I bought direct from Scan too, and just checked my invoice, mine was a black Friday deal, 250 gb, 34 months, £99 plus vat - £3.33 per month

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
How can they possibly tell is my answer; A self employed individual is eligable -> and any of us could be that. It''s similar I would say to how many people may be Costco members through similar shenannigins (in fact if you not an eligable by profession for Costco the staff will walk you through being self employed evidence in many stores).

And data on a phone is data... its' not like phones where they can tell (business use is several times that of a domestic cell customer on average).

If they do ring you for anything they will ask to confirm you are a self employed or businesss, I can't see how answering that in positive is anything dodgy, after all if you sell a single item on ebay a year you technically are earning income so thus self-employed.. (HMRC actually check this out of interest, and do follow up if you don't do a tax return after selling > £500 or so of stuff on vinted/ebay now).

Given I have to do a tax return every year in my case as I do consultancy work it's not even untrue in my case, but given the price of a domestic contract is around 3 times a scancom one, it would be a white lie I would be happy to make in my case if it was not actually true ;)

And yes, I would say it's box ticking, as they can only offer these to businesses so they can't be seem to undercut the networks on retail contracts... which as said are a LOT more, hence why unlimited data is around 7-£10 from them, and £20-25 direct with a network minimum.
You should be contacting all the local Boy Scout (is that still the correct terminology) troops as it could/would be appropriate given their bob a job week stuff! (y) :whistle2: :giggler:

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
You should be contacting all the local Boy Scout (is that still the correct terminology) troops as it could/would be appropriate given their bob a job week stuff! (y) :whistle2: :giggler:
I bet HMRC has eyes on them next given earnings of > £500 they are going after now. But in seriousness as its for charity I suspect not in that case.

The whole being a business thing ref; the big warehouses has always been a scam... Tesco own for example isn't it Bookers ... where locally the local warehouse is considerably cheaper than Tesco for foods in bulk! Costco is another example of this, and I imagine these phone contract brokers are same. If you live near a Costco (with fuel) and are not using their Diesel you are frankly insane these days given how much we use in our motorhomes. We stop whenever we drive past one in the motorhome for a top up given on last fill it was £1.34 at Stevenage, and it's still £1.52 locally. A single fill nearly pays for the membership fees in savings (and thats before you even go in the shop!)...

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK personal experience I have been on BT for 2 years so moved over to EE (named transfer only in reality )

I have a SIM only deal on a monthly rolling contract I get unlimited everything - cost £13 a month --
This included EU roaming at no extra cost and no fair use policy

We also have the broadband at Home with EE and includes a full TV package with no calls (landline for internet only) and that is in the mid £30 range as I have the mobile contracts (mine and wife's - that is in my name for the bill) as a package

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back