editing forums (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I know we've a few coding savvy people here so I was wondering.... (and this isn't about MHF) If someone wanted to delete a load of posts from a long running thread, could they do it without leaving any tell tale clues?

A couple of posters have been having a right tit for tat for months now on a forum I frequent and it has culminated on one of them accusing the other of deleting a long list of posts from a year or two ago. I had a look and it does appear to be missing a few months worth of posts but all the post numbers seem to be in order. I'm sure I read on here that you can't change post numbers.

Any thoughts?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you have access to the database and relevant SQL skills, then it's easy.

But not for a normal user.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Ah, thinking about it, the post number won't be a static number. It will just be a real time counter.

Can't delete posts on here to test my theory.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Ah, thinking about it, the post number won't be a static number. It will just be a real time counter.

Can't delete posts on here to test my theory.
Yeah I wasn't sure about the post numbers. I think it was maybe to do with folk being 'ignored' that I remember it being mentioned on here rather than posts being totally deleted.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Admins of forums, and even moderators depending on the assigned rights, through the interface can do all sorts of things. Depending on how it is set up there would normally be a log of their actions, but those logs will be accessible only to admins, and may only be held for limited time.

As above the Web owners could edit the sql database which would leave even less trace.

But whatever the database would show gaps where stuff was removed, even if who did it was deleted. Each post would have had a unique sequential number to allow the site to link and reference the post.

Users would only be able to delete if specific rights allocated. Most sites are setup to only allow limited editing and deletion for hours rather than days or months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Admins of forums, and even moderators depending on the assigned rights, through the interface can do all sorts of things. Depending on how it is set up there would normally be a log of their actions, but those logs will be accessible only to admins, and may only be held for limited time.

As above the Web owners could edit the sql database which would leave even less trace.

But whatever the database would show gaps where stuff was removed, even if who did it was deleted. Each post would have had a unique sequential number to allow the site to link and reference the post.

Users would only be able to delete if specific rights allocated. Most sites are setup to only allow limited editing and deletion for hours rather than days or months.
Memories. I was a DBA 15 years ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back