Ecoflo, is this a good buy. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I think people miss the uses for them when not using the motorhome given they are so portable. It's the major reason we opted for this over upgrading the van.

We have very dodgy power at home, with upwards of 45 power cuts a year on average (most are short in duration, but we usually have 4 minimum 4hour cuts a year).. Our home internet already has a UPS backing it up (works for 6 hours) because of this (as we mostly use laptops when the power is out via it). However we realised the ecoflow is quite a good way of actually watching TV when we do get a 6 hour outage. If we had a longer outage, I'd imagine using it to save food in the freezer would be a priority too (given solar would top it up in most cases too).

Put it this way it's a bad year when I don't get the payment from the local distrubution network operator to pay for the interruptions in service.

The ecoflow allows us to work around these interruptions && have 240v when we use the van. Ideally I'd have 2 units, but the delta2 is cheaper than a decent UPS too ... and runs stuff for longer.
I was thinking of powering my router when we are away on a conventional holiday (not motorhome) like you say it will cut in and power the router almost instantly but have always wondered if the full fibre cable that connects to the router would go dead too, obviously without an active fibre connection there's no point powering the router.

Has this happened to you?
Did you still have a data connection?

Graydo

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We used to use generators but heaven forbid😳
As in a motorhome, using a generator at home during an outage at 10pm is likely to annoy the neighbours.

Ref; do I still have a data connection yes, BT power the fibre cabinets with batteries (which they top up if an extended outage (we've seen them)) and the exchange is both battery and generator backed for extended outages.

The weak link is my house, which is fed by a high voltage overhead path that gets knocked out CONSTANTLY by trees when windy. They occasionally if we lucky move us onto the local "towns'" supply but thats not our primary route for power.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Nice one, so it WOULD be worthwhile powering the router then.

Thats good to know, thanks.

Yet another use for the delta 2 👍

Graydo

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Nice one, so it WOULD be worthwhile powering the router then.

Thats good to know, thanks.

Yet another use for the delta 2 👍

Graydo
Absolutely and "just" doing the router it would likey to last at least 5 days too... If you powered a DC cable you make up, and your router takes 12V so you can use the 12V ports, it would probably last weeks.

The ecoflow is a lot less "lossy" doing DC than AC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Absolutely and "just" doing the router it would likey to last at least 5 days too... If you powered a DC cable you make up, and your router takes 12V so you can use the 12V ports, it would probably last weeks.

The ecoflow is a lot less "lossy" doing DC than AC.
Thanks,
that's interesting, but 5 days backup is probably more than enough for the router.

Do you have any knowledge of dual routers i.e with a regular sim cards as backup in case of power cut or cable failure?

I always feel.the outside box on the wall is the weakest link in the system and a pair of scissors would soon cut through it.

Given I run my hive alarm, heating and security cameras through wifi, it's pretty easy to bring down the whole.lot.

I could always electrocute the little scrotes by connecting the junction box to
to the delta 2.

Yet another use 👍😁

Graydo

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Do you have any knowledge of dual routers i.e with a regular sim cards as backup in case of power cut or cable failure?

Graydo
I use a rather complex router setup at home, yes with auto failover.
I use Mikrotik gear and have their router, a set of access points from Ubiquity, and a LTE router all backed up by a UPS from APC, with the delta2 in reseve if that exhausts it's 6 hour battery. One thing I would warn (due to the power cuts here) is that many cell towers today do not themselves have backup (or they fall back to 3g only in Threes case) when the power goes. As such thinking 4g/LTE will protect you from an outage is a little flawed from my own personal experience. There is a solution to that, but it's more expensive, you can put a massive antenna on roof to pull 4g in from 10 miles away given your local tower will fail ;).

The above autosetup is rather complex to setup, there are "simpler" solutions out there, but I need above for some of my professional work for things like connection tracing.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Hmm,
Hadn't thought of the cell towers going down as well.
Wonder if plusnet have a pre-configured fail over system available.

Will give them a phone, thanks for the info, used to use APC for my UPS years ago for the computer.

Don't want to hi jack this thread any more than I have already 😁

Graydo

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I was thinking of powering my router when we are away on a conventional holiday (not motorhome) like you say it will cut in and power the router almost instantly but have always wondered if the full fibre cable that connects to the router would go dead too, obviously without an active fibre connection there's no point powering the router.
If you have a proper FTTP connection then you'll also need to power your ONT (unless it has a built-in battery...some do, some don't) as well as your router.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
If you have a proper FTTP connection then you'll also need to power your ONT (unless it has a built-in battery...some do, some don't) as well as your router.
Good point, had forgot that was powered too.
Good job the delta has 4,
3 pin sockets 👍

Graydo

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Agree -> there is a sneaky way of doing this though not entirely "legit" by BT -> you can backfeed to the ONT from the cable going to your router (if in different rooms) by sending 12V via a POE splitter. You can get dongles that "split" the Port1 on the ONT so that a little pigtail runs to power the ONT. Then you only need a UPS by your actual router, and not the ONT.

Note above is highly not approved by BT, but ahem works for quite a few techies I know who work in the ISP industry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HS4NT13?tag=mhf04-21

Above is an example of the kit you can use, pass POE at other end of the cable and then split out to power the device.

I can't guarantee the exact amazon produce above will work without some tinkering and knowledge though, certainally not plug and play as you need kit at your "router" end able to deliver a 48V POE supply down the ethernet cable to the ONT. This would be why I use a router able to be configured to do this, but your standard Linksys/provided by Plusnet routers CANNOT do this.

Alternatively, and some may say more simply you can get the battery backed ONT, but that will run out before the UPS in most cases.

If if course all your kit is in same room, it's easy to just use 2 plugs as said above... in my case my fibre ONT router is downstairs, my router upstairs.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Agree -> there is a sneaky way of doing this though not entirely "legit" by BT -> you can backfeed to the ONT from the cable going to your router (if in different rooms) by sending 12V via a POE splitter. You can get dongles that "split" the Port1 on the ONT so that a little pigtail runs to power the ONT. Then you only need a UPS by your actual router, and not the ONT.

Note above is highly not approved by BT, but ahem works for quite a few techies I know who work in the ISP industry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HS4NT13?tag=mhf04-21

Above is an example of the kit you can use, pass POE at other end of the cable and then split out to power the device.

I can't guarantee the exact amazon produce above will work without some tinkering and knowledge though, certainally not plug and play as you need kit at your "router" end able to deliver a 48V POE supply down the ethernet cable to the ONT. This would be why I use a router able to be configured to do this, but your standard Linksys/provided by Plusnet routers CANNOT do this.
Is there any advantage in this apart from saving a 3 pin plug on the delta?

Ah,
if in different rooms 👍🤫

Graydo

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Is there any advantage in this apart from saving a 3 pin plug on the delta?

Graydo
Yes -> think about my house, the ONT is front side base of house. My Router sits upstrairs in my office with my switch, ups, one access point, about 30 metres between. I then have 2 cables running out of the office, one feeds to the ONT (and sends data up), the second goes downstairs to provide a second access point in the back of the house by the TV.

This allows the UPS (upstairs) to power the ONT (downstairs) whilst being able to hide all the cabling under the floor.

There is ZERO point if it's all in same room.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Yes -> think about my house, the ONT is front side base of house. My Router sits upstrairs in my office with my switch, ups, one access point, about 30 metres between. I then have 2 cables running out of the office, one feeds to the ONT (and sends data up), the second goes downstairs to provide a second access point in the back of the house by the TV.

This allows the UPS (upstairs) to power the ONT (downstairs) whilst being able to hide all the cabling under the floor.

There is ZERO point if it's all in same room.
Gotcha 👍

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
No Openreach here so whether BT approve of something is irrelevant to me ;) but luckily our ONT is right next to the main router so if we were wanting some kind of UPS it would be easy enough to set up. But to be honest its not something high on my priority list: in the 10 years we've lived here we've had a handful micro outages, but only a couple of proper power cuts....and if I remember correctly (they were a while ago) they were back when the developer was still on site and someone made a mistake with a digger.

One thing I would warn (due to the power cuts here) is that many cell towers today do not themselves have backup (or they fall back to 3g only in Threes case) when the power goes. As such thinking 4g/LTE will protect you from an outage is a little flawed from my own personal experience. There is a solution to that, but it's more expensive, you can put a massive antenna on roof to pull 4g in from 10 miles away given your local tower will fail ;).
3g uses less power than 4g so its a good compromise to maintain basic connectivity, the problem with that approach is that the UK operators have either turned off 3G or are in the process of doing so. But I know they're also in conversations with Ofcom about how to expand battery backup...not as easy as it sounds (unless you're happy with higher bills). We're fortunate that we live in an area with pretty resilient infrastructure, so its not something I have to worry about too much.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I have been looking around these things since yesterday, and for some reason I have had this offer come into my email, are they any good , how does it compare to the other one ?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Well I have been looking around these things since yesterday, and for some reason I have had this offer come into my email, are they any good , how does it compare to the other one ?
I'd be vary careful of knock off ecoflows. Most do NOT have the fast charging capability. This one as an example (1)Recharging by wall charger(Included): about 4.5 hours to full)

so it charges at 200W. An ecoflow Delta2 can charge at 200W to 1.2KW. (ie, it can charge in 1 hour). So this one you would be stuck at a car charger point for 5 horus in winter instead of one if you needed to recharge whilst on road.

AC power wise 1500W instead of 2.4KW max output (sustained). This means you wouldn't be able to run certain airfryers or inverter hobs off it (and some hairdryers even!).

Equally solar it has 2x200W inputs. - Ecoflow has 1x500W input. That alone would cause my 300W of solar (one 200W and one 100W panel) to need to be connected with 2 wires instead of one, doubling cost of wire (and I don't have spare wire). The voltage range for solar accepted here would also limit your choice of panels. (
Q: What kind of solar panel does Jump 1500X power station support?

A: The solar panel needs to meet the following requirements:

1) The open circuit voltage is between 12-30V;)

This means you are limited to 12V solar panels ONLY. Wher eyou can use cheaper "domestic panels up to 60V on an Ecoflow.

Basically it's not at all comparible with an ecoflow. There are some okay knock offs available from the likes of Blueetti, but I would avoid Allpowers and random chinese name like the plague, as they are not comparible in general terms.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

And with only a 63AH battery.

Ian

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And with only a 63AH battery.

Ian
Thanks both, there are that many different types of numbers it's hard to get your head around them and I had ignored all the other makes but there is a couple on a YouTube channel that are actually using one of these and saying it is very good but they would say that wouldn't they.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thanks both, there are that many different types of numbers it's hard to get your head around them and I had ignored all the other makes but there is a couple on a YouTube channel that are actually using one of these and saying it is very good but they would say that wouldn't they.
Hoenstly as someone who purchased an Allpowers initially (tbf I did get cheap 4 years ago with a solar panel thrown in), I now realise the difference between the quality of ecoflow and the cheap Chinese brands. There is no comparison in my mind between the two. There are some "more premium" versions than the one you linked, but overall I'm yet to find another brand remotely compariable with the Delta2 series from ecoflow. I would say that having got one, but unlike the youtubers, I'm also not PAID to say that nor did I get a free product.

Most of the Chinese ones won't even joing your wifi (being able to check on charge level when I'm at a pub a mile from the van can be useful to work out if I need to move back to realign the solar panels). Thanks to the wifi built into an ecoflow you can check on the system from anywhere, well providing your van has a hotspot/mifi, and you don't rely on phones to tether.

The allpowers unit I own (small 300wh one) also doesn't hold its charge when off well (loses 100% of charge over a month)., where the ecoflow is always within 1% of where I left it if I leave it stored. I would reccomend avoiding this brand ... it can be very reasonably priced but it's certainally no where near the quality.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Hoenstly as someone who purchased an Allpowers initially (tbf I did get cheap 4 years ago with a solar panel thrown in), I now realise the difference between the quality of ecoflow and the cheap Chinese brands. There is no comparison in my mind between the two. There are some "more premium" versions than the one you linked, but overall I'm yet to find another brand remotely compariable with the Delta2 series from ecoflow. I would say that having got one, but unlike the youtubers, I'm also not PAID to say that nor did I get a free product.

Most of the Chinese ones won't even joing your wifi (being able to check on charge level when I'm at a pub a mile from the van can be useful to work out if I need to move back to realign the solar panels). Thanks to the wifi built into an ecoflow you can check on the system from anywhere, well providing your van has a hotspot/mifi, and you don't rely on phones to tether.

The allpowers unit I own (small 300wh one) also doesn't hold its charge when off well (loses 100% of charge over a month)., where the ecoflow is always within 1% of where I left it if I leave it stored. I would reccomend avoiding this brand ... it can be very reasonably priced but it's certainally no where near the quality.
I left mine at 100% charge while I was in America for six weeks, when I came back it was still at 100%.
Also love the fact that you can connect to it in the van via bluetooth and turn off/on all the ports if the unit is in a hard to reach place, although I will say that the process of "unbinding" it is hardly intuitive.
But once you know you know.

Graydo

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I left mine at 100% charge while I was in America for six weeks, when I came back it was still at 100%.
Also love the fact that you can connect to it in the van via bluetooth and turn off/on all the ports if the unit is in a hard to reach place, although I will say that
I have the app on both the phone, the ipad and the wifes ipad. As it uses wifi not bluetooth when it's in van (uses bluetooth when not in van), allows turning off the AC ports on any device. Rather useful when in bed and needing to turn off the TV. (we have a 240v TV, as they are miles better than most 12V ones).

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I dont have myfi in the van so I just connect via bluetooth, connect with wifi in the house though.
Being able to connect to it anywhere in the world is pretty cool too.

Graydo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back