EBL220 dead, trip in 2 days - Help! (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Hi urgent help needed please!

I have a problem on my 2008 Burstner Elegance.
I was having strange electrical issues where the DT220 (new 3 years ago) panel suggested we had no battery left, even after a long run, but testing with a volt meter confirmed12.8 volts on each. Starting the engine to charge the 2 habitation batteries cured it and kind of reset it, then it would be fine for a few days.
I have now changed the batteries for new and although the panel lights up and I can programme it OK Im worse off, as I now have no power to anything in the habitation area, even when engine running or plugged into the mains (the plug sockets do work at this stage though) so I am guessing the EBL is not playing ball/giving any output.
Is there some kind of serious reset/trip required maybe, or can anybody advise which terminals I can check for an output?
Im desperate as off on a trip on Thursday, so any help would be really appreciated!!

Many thanks

Neil

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What is the EBL model number? Is it the EBL220, the same number as the control panel number, DT220?

Check the two fuses near the leisure battery: a big 60A Maxi fuse, and also a standard size 2A fuse for the sensor wire. Both need to be good for the EBL to do anything. Also there is a 12-way small connector at each end of the data wire from the EBL220 to the DT220 control panel, you could try re-inserting those to be sure they are making a good connection.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Did you switch off the EBL with the small slide switch on the front?
If so it's common for them not to turn back on, I would spray some contact cleaner in the switch and work it on & off. You can use WD40 in an emergency just flush it with contact cleaner as soon as you can.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Did you switch off the EBL with the small slide switch on the front?
If so it's common for them not to turn back on, I would spray some contact cleaner in the switch and work it on & off. You can use WD40 in an emergency just flush it with contact cleaner as soon as you can.
No, didnt switch anything off. Just checked and I cant see any switch on it (its a 220-2 version).
I did the isolation though as suggested in the book, ie press and hold battery button to shut down, then press and hold the 12v button to reboot.
I kind of feel its something to do with this maybe?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Just checked the 50 amp and 2 amp fuses at the leisure batteries and they are all good sadly...

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Can you use a multimeter to check the voltage at the EBL front panel connector BL1 , labelled Zus-Lader 1 (= Aux Charger 1)? You will need to put a fuse into the Zus Lader 1 fuse slot too, any value is OK for this test, but 25A is the value suggested if you are plugging in a proper Auxiliary Charger. If you get the leisure battery voltage there, that shows that the leisure battery power is reaching the EBL OK.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Can you use a multimeter to check the voltage at the EBL front panel connector BL1 , labelled Zus-Lader 1 (= Aux Charger 1)? You will need to put a fuse into the Zus Lader 1 fuse slot too, any value is OK for this test, but 25A is the value suggested if you are plugging in a proper Auxiliary Charger. If you get the leisure battery voltage there, that shows that the leisure battery power is reaching the EBL OK.
BL1 is labelled Zus Lader 2 and BL2 is Zus lader 1, im getting 12 volts out of each right hand spade so power in is good I guess?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Next thing to check is pins 2 and 3 of the 4-way connector - unplug the connector, and use the meter on pins 2 and 3 of the connector on the wire (ie not the front panel socket). If you get the leisure battery voltage then you know the sensor wires are good. Reconnect the 4-way connector again.

If those are good, then turn on the 12V power by pressing the '12V' button (lower left) for longer than 5 seconds. This turns off the isolation and allows power-up, so the panel will then power up. If you plug in a 240V hookup, the Mains indicator symbol on the LCD screen should show it is connected.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
The meter is jumping around on pins 2 and 3 of the plug but settled around 586mv. Does this mean something??
fingers crossed!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Those two wires have only one job - to transfer the exact voltage of the leisure battery to the EBL. It looks like there is a problem, maybe a bad connection, or a corroded fuse or fuse slot for that 2A fuse I mentioned before near the starter battery. Worth checking that the thin wire from the 2A fuse actually has been connected to the battery terminal, isolator switch, or whatever it is supposed to be connected to and hasn't been forgotten when someone changed a battery.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Really appreciate your help here.
I've double checked the fuse and holder and I have 14 volts in and out.
Is it safe to assume then that the EBL is knackered?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Next thing to check is pins 2 and 3 of the 4-way connector - unplug the connector, and use the meter on pins 2 and 3 of the connector on the wire (ie not the front panel socket).
Can you confirm that you are measuring the voltage on the two thin sensor wires, measuring on pins 2 and 3 of the connector that is on the wire. Not pins 2 and 3 of the EBL front panel connector.

If you are not getting exactly the leisure battery voltage at that point (ie about 12 to 14V, same as the leisure battery) then there is a problem with the wire, the 2A fuse or its connections. That is before it reaches the EBL, so it's not an EBL problem.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Can you confirm that you are measuring the voltage on the two thin sensor wires, measuring on pins 2 and 3 of the connector that is on the wire. Not pins 2 and 3 of the EBL front panel connector.

If you are not getting exactly the leisure battery voltage at that point (ie about 12 to 14V, same as the leisure battery) then there is a problem with the wire, the 2A fuse or its connections. That is before it reaches the EBL, so it's not an EBL problem.
Good morning!
Looking at it with fresh eyes I realise I was testing 3 & 4 on the wrong 4 way connector (BL3 instead of BL12). I do actually have correct voltage 13.83v from the battery sensor into this plug (removed) so looks like thats OK, so do we think EBL at fault?
Many many thanks
Neil.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you've also checked the thin 12-way connector on both ends of the data wire that goes to the panel (BL13 at the EBL end) - does it look OK, is it inserted fully etc -and the same at the DT220 end, then it looks like there is a fault in the EBL. Hopefully one of the big power relays inside, but may be a fault in the electronics module.

You'd need to get inside the EBL to check that, to see if the switch-on command is going to the relay from the electronics module. I think you can manually switch the relay to the ON position. It's a 'latching' relay, that remains in its last position when the power is removed. Unlike most relays, that are pulled back by a spring when power is removed. You could switch it on and leave it on. I rarely switch my 12V electrics off. That might get you through the trip.

Someone like Apuljack Electronics or A&N Caravan Services will be able to fix it , I think. But you'd have to take out the EBL and maybe the DT220 and send it to them. Schaudt (Lippert) also repair them, but unless your trip takes you near them in South Germany I think there's a lot of red tape involved nowadays if you send by courier.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Thanks for the further advice, I will have a look at that for sure.
I have though in desperation taken a bit of a punt and just returned from a140mile round trip to collect an EBL 223 which I snapped up on ebay first thing!
The connections seem the same so i figured its worth a try.
Off to install it now, wish me luck!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Be very careful of the power connections at the back if you've not done it before. The colours are not what you might expect. On my Hymer, the Wohnraum Batterie (leisure battery) positive is BLACK, the starter battery positive is red, and the negatives are brown. Yours of course may differ.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be very careful of the power connections at the back if you've not done it before. The colours are not what you might expect. On my Hymer, the Wohnraum Batterie (leisure battery) positive is BLACK, the starter battery positive is red, and the negatives are brown. Yours of course may differ.
I think that is standard on all Hymers up to present so he should be OK.

OP
OP
Neil183
Aug 2, 2021
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Burstner Elegance i700
Update:
So with my new second hand EBL223 in place everything is working, the 2 leisure batteries are not great so going to replace with 1 Exide ES900 Gel at the suggestion of Martin at A & N Caravans (another top bloke) who im going to send my old one off to to get repaired.

Thankyou everyone for the fault finding process, especially Autorouter working into the night!! This really is a great Forum for so many things.

All the best

Neil

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There is one resistor in the power supply that burns out. It will be either dry jointed or darkened by over heating. May be worth checking before sending off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back