Ebl 99 not charging leisure battery while driving (1 Viewer)

Adamsolifier

Free Member
Apr 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Solifier
Hello guy, my ebl 99 unit is not charging my battery while driving and my fridge stopped working while driving also. The d+ signal has 14v power coming to the terminal into the ebl unit. I changed all the fuses with no luck. Anybody know what this may be?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have you checked the multi-pin plugs and sockets on the top of the EBL.. ?

They are prone to overheating and failing... I had to change one on mine that supplied the fridge.

Switch off all power, 240v and 12v, then examine each plug, look for signs of heating, a brown discolouration, may not be noticeable until you pull the plugs out.

The plugs and sockets can be bought from Planet 12v

If you have to replace, you will also need a crimping tool .. also available from Planet 12v.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adamsolifier

Adamsolifier

Free Member
Apr 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Solifier
Have you checked the multi-pin plugs and sockets on the top of the EBL.. ?

They are prone to overheating and failing... I had to change one on mine that supplied the fridge.

Switch off all power, 240v and 12v, then examine each plug, look for signs of heating, a brown discolouration, may not be noticeable until you pull the plugs out.

The plugs and sockets can be bought from Planet 12v

If you have to replace, you will also need a crimping tool .. also available from Planet 12v.
Took the pins out and looks to be all clear. I did change the 2amp fuse with a 3amp fuse a couple weeks ago and before it stopped I heard a lot of clicking coming from the unit itself. Could there be an enternal issue with the unit?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome.

Lots of clicking sounds like a relay trying to operate, possibly another fuse has gone or the relay failed.
Not sure if there is an internal fuse on that model.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Here's the EBL manual which includes a wiring diagram.

Attachments

• Schaudt_Electroblock_EBL99_G_Ingles.pdf
    758.7 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Adamsolifier

Adamsolifier

Free Member
Apr 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Solifier
Have you checked for fuses (20a ? ) near to the starter battery positive terminal .
Yes I went and actually changed them all just to make sure. I feel the issue may be the unit itself. I have power going to the pins, but seems to stop there. Does anyone know how i could bypass the unit and charge directly to the battery?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Does anyone know how i could bypass the unit and charge directly to the battery?
Yes, you can by a battery to battery charger (b2b) and wire directly between your starter battery and leisure battery but that probably won't help your fridge.

OP
OP
Adamsolifier

Adamsolifier

Free Member
Apr 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Solifier
Yes, you can by a battery to battery charger (b2b) and wire directly between your starter battery and leisure battery but that probably won't help your fridge.
hmm, yeah im just thinking about how to get power to the battery in the back without ruining anything.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You've used up your 5 free posts so if you need any further assistance you will need to subscribe, it's £20 well spent as you can get discounts from some suppliers and you can post as many questions as you need to.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
For the split charge system, the power comes from the alternator/starter battery to a screw terminal at the back of the EBL. On that wire there is a 50A Maxi blade fuse, located very near the starter battery. There will be 3 fuses there, a 20A that powers the fridge while the engine is running, and a small fuse, maybe 5A, that is for the D+ signal.

After going through the split charge relay inside the EBL, the power goes out of a screw terminal at the back of the EBL, to the leisure battery. On that wire there is another 50A Maxi blade fuse, located very near the leisure battery. Also next to the 50A fuse will be a small 2A fuse for the battery voltage sensor wire. If that small fuse has blown, the EBL stops working. To get charging power to the leisure battery from the alternator/starter battery, both of those 50A fuses need to be good.

You can check if the leisure battery connection to the EBL is OK by looking at the voltage at the Auxiliary Charger 2pin connector on the EBL front panel. It's probably labelled 'Zusatz Ladegerat' (= Auxiliary Charger). You need to put a fuse in the 'Zusatz Ladegerat' fuse slot for a connection to be made.

On the EBL99 there isn't an easy way to check the starter battery power is reaching the EBL. Except checking the screw terminals at the back of the EBL, which can be a bit awkward to access.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back