Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi,
I have a 36v 8.8Ah/316Wh battery that isn't charging. I used it frequently last summer and have had it in store since then. I think that I charged it at Xmas time even though the lights on the battery suggested it was still fully charged. Now the lights show it at 20% and it won't charge. I can't recall if I've had it at 20% before and have not checked the voltage from it yet. The bike control panel doesn't come on now either.

When I have had car batteries that have dropped too low to charge with a normal charger, I've used a pulse charger to start the process and it then reverts to a normal charge.

If I cut the charger wire of the charger and connected it to the vehicle charger with pulse function to get it to start charging and then continued with the original charger, am I likely to cause a dangerous situation? Is it likely to get it back to a chargeable state?

Thank you

Last edited:

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
What voltage does the charger provide?

Have you tried using it for a bit to jog the battery in to life?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I have no idea either but .......................... when my drone battery hadnt been used for a while I had to buy a specific connection to get the charging process working again.

Whether that is the same or not I have no idea

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
What’s the voltage showing on the battery terminals with a volt meter?

If low, I’d connect it with a charger that can bump up the voltage first in the wrong profile, like non lithium, Pb would work, then switch back to your normal charging method.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003

If low, I’d connect it with a charger that can bump up the voltage first in the wrong profile, like non lithium, Pb would work, then switch back to your normal charging method.
Would a 12V Pb charger even register on a 36V battery? It doesn’t sound right to me.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Are you sure the charger is working correctly ? Any way to test either another battery or another charger to see where the issue is ?

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it is highly likely one or more of the batteries internal to the battery pack has died and the internal battery protection circuit has triggered, preventing charging. A very common fault, and the battery needs refurbishing or just replacing. Don't attempt to force a charge in

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Would a 12V Pb charger even register on a 36V battery? It doesn’t sound right to me.

Good point.. I forget myself sometimes… 🤦‍♂️

I have an iCharger which is for the serious hobbyist market and allows complete configuration of charging parameters, how many C charge rate, voltage, Amps, battery chemistry etc ✔️

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Are you sure the charger is working correctly ? Any way to test either another battery or another charger to see where the issue is ?
The charger is outputting 40v - the label states 42 v

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

The battery starts at 3v and drops to 1v quickly.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
it is highly likely one or more of the batteries internal to the battery pack has died and the internal battery protection circuit has triggered, preventing charging. A very common fault, and the battery needs refurbishing or just replacing. Don't attempt to force a charge in
Is that likely to have been caused by lack of use / charging or age? I'm guessing the battery is approx 8 years old.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Is that likely to have been caused by lack of use / charging or age? I'm guessing the battery is approx 8 years old.
The batteries have a service life dependant on which manufacturer. After 5 years it is just chance which fails first.

Yes you can replace the cells in some battery packs. Never be tempted to do just the failed one as they tend to fail again and again and can kill the new batteries.

Often see this after leaving them dormant for a few months and the protection circuit kicks in at the first charge cycle.

What I hate is some manufacturers make the protection circuit to fail killing the charging chip, which usually has the markings sanded off to prevent replacement

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk Riviera
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Beware of cheap Chinese E-bike batteries.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've had our e-bike batteries refuse to charge. I've managed a workaround by using the supplied charger but connecting a couple of wires with plastic tape and a crocodile clip and using the bare ends to attach to the + and - prongs that connect to the bike socket. A short while 20-30 mins is usually sufficient to then enable normal charging. Needless to say, do not leave unattended for too long in case of problems. I do mine in the garage close to the door so that it can be evicted quickly ICON.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back