East Neuk Fifer Lounge conversion (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Looking to change the current lounge convertion of our Renault Relay to the newer much easier style. Slotting in batons, unclipping and flipping is doing my back in already! 😩
Does anyone have photos or even better, videos how it works.
The conversion company are very busy and haven't sent details requested. We are 3 and a half hours away, it's very pricey and we're beginning to wonder whether we can get it down closer to home. Thanks in advance folks.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Our Fifer the bed is made into a double by adding 2 tables but we usually keep the bed up unless we need the belted seats. It's a 5 meter 09.

20220512_181611.jpg

20220512_181035.jpg

20220512_181310.jpg

20220511_145300.jpg

20220512_181130.jpg

20220512_181151.jpg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's difficult to advise without seeing how you do it now and how the later models do it.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Ah, see what you mean - that is quite “bitty”.

Do you absolutely have to sleep together in a double bed? Just for the time when you’re away in the van could you chuck the seat back cushions on the floor (for which the dog will thank you) and sleep on two singles?

Unless you are made of stronger stuff than me, I would not be able to sleep on that many cushions put together without a decent topper. Two single toppers are much easier to roll up and store than a double one (although during the day you could just leave them where they are if you normally leave the arrangement as per your photo)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
Here's a vid of how the Consort beds work, very simple.

If you need any pictures or more detail, let me know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Do you have any photos of the current arrangement?
There are some devilishly clever minds here 😆 and you never know, someone might be able to come up with a solution/suggestion that you haven't yet considered?
I suppose it's two bench seats like the basis of most small lounge conversion vans, except a Fifer which they ofcourse convert already and are happy to rip the back out of and I was wondering what the magical replacement was if someone had any idea before I may have to drive down there.
Not wanting to hang around so I can get out there! 😃

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Sorry folks, I clearly haven't sussed how reading posts works 🙄 They don't flow from the top down. I saw the one from Hedgewick and no one else. Off to read again.
Thanks for your patience

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Our Fifer the bed is made into a double by adding 2 tables but we usually keep the bed up unless we need the belted seats. It's a 5 meter 09.

View attachment 916321

View attachment 916322

View attachment 916323

View attachment 916324

View attachment 916325

View attachment 916326
Thank you, I appreciate it's better with photos of what's maybe there, essentially it's the usual two box frames with storage underneath and the long cushions on top.
In each side there is a hinged type double bed base under the main seating cushion, clipped together at each end where you have to lift the whole cushion off unclip the hinged base at both ends and flip each side out, but only after 4 lengths of wood have to be dovetailed into notches along the edge where the back of your knees would be if you were sitting. So awkward and so going!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Here's a vid of how the Consort beds work, very simple.

If you need any pictures or more detail, let me know.

Heaven!
I totally get it as with our last van you just pulled a slatted flat frame from a box under the window and put the cushions in as per your video.
Our new purchase was more about the rest of the van too ofcourse but in reality the actual bed is awful. We have pennies to convert the bed but not entirely convinced it takes £1000 to do it that spectacularly!
Thanks for your time with this.
We only had our last van 18 months and weren't out a lot due to family illness, so newbies really.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Heaven!
I totally get it as with our last van you just pulled a slatted flat frame from a box under the window and put the cushions in as per your video.

I can see your current arrangement is a bit like putting together an Ikea flat-pack but without the allen key.

If it is any consolation (it won't be :LOL:) I feel your pain over bed-making.
So much so that I am ready to sign on the expensive dotted line for a van with a fixed bed . . .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
I can see your current arrangement is a bit like putting together an Ikea flat-pack but without the allen key.

If it is any consolation (it won't be :LOL:) I feel your pain over bed-making.
So much so that I am ready to sign on the expensive dotted line for a van with a fixed bed . . .
What a dilemma, fixed bed, less space or lounge conversion where you can leave the bed out anything.... even if it takes an hour to do it 😆
Compromise? Replace it and make life easier like the you tube video!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Ah, see what you mean - that is quite “bitty”.

Do you absolutely have to sleep together in a double bed? Just for the time when you’re away in the van could you chuck the seat back cushions on the floor (for which the dog will thank you) and sleep on two singles?

Unless you are made of stronger stuff than me, I would not be able to sleep on that many cushions put together without a decent topper. Two single toppers are much easier to roll up and store than a double one (although during the day you could just leave them where they are if you normally leave the arrangement as per your photo)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Oh I definitely need my snuggles when on holiday, with the dog thrown in their somewhere too.😆
I flip the cushions to their smoother side and now have two duvalays so all set, just putting the thing up easily is my challenge!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From your description and watching the video above it wouldn't take much to change your bed make-up to that, just get in touch with a local joiner and I'm sure they could do it for minimal cost utilising the bed panels you already have to create the sliding sections, just buying the sliders themselves.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
From your description and watching the video above it wouldn't take much to change your bed make-up to that, just get in touch with a local joiner and I'm sure they could do it for minimal cost utilising the bed panels you already have to create the sliding sections, just buying the sliders themselves.
That's just what I'm thinking. Have found a local conversion company so that maybe an option too. Thanks for your help. 🙂

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's just what I'm thinking. Have found a local conversion company so that maybe an option too. Thanks for your help. 🙂
You don't necessarily need a MH/pvc converter, any joiner should be able to do it and probably cheaper so shop around.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back