Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
What are the rules for riding e-scooters in Spain? I see a lot of people of all ages using them and guess the legislation is not as restrictive as in the UK. I quite fancy one and might buy one while I’m over here.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I was under the impression that most of Europe treated them the same as ebikes. As long as they are speed limited to 25km/h and a maximum of 250w, they are fine.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& you are wearing a helmet,hi viz jacket ,the wheels must be 8" minimum & lights fitted front & back.
You are subject to exactly the same rules as if driving a car.& you get the fines points etc.
Not allowed on or in pedestrian areas .road only
https://n332.es/rules-for-riding-e-scooters/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Any rules for e-bikes ?
very similar. All the road rules apply , 6points & 600€ if using a phone. no throttles pedal assistance only, high viz crash hat,
8" is huge. For a scooter anyway. 😅
minimum now. You can use other scooters up to 2027 ,I believe, but after that they are scrap as there is no certification available for them & they will be illegal to use.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I was under the impression that most of Europe treated them the same as ebikes. As long as they are speed limited to 25km/h and a maximum of 250w, they are fine.
Are you sure about the 250 W rule. All the ones I’ve seen advertised in Spain are greater than this. For instance, this one on sale in Decathlon is 600 W. Is
IMG_6305.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I know that they are a nuisance on the tram around Benidorm, last year there was usually 2 or even 3 at each doorway.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
& you are wearing a helmet,hi viz jacket ,the wheels must be 8" minimum & lights fitted front & back.
You are subject to exactly the same rules as if driving a car.& you get the fines points etc.
Not allowed on or in pedestrian areas .road only
https://n332.es/rules-for-riding-e-scooters/
Absolutely correct, but the reality is mayhem. Much like cyclists, no respect for the rules of the road nor consideration for pedestrians. Practically none of the users wear helmets or high viz jackets or have lights at night. A danger to themselves and every other user of the public highways.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There are real advantages for scooters in some places, Gibraltar for example where space for cars is limited. The problem is not the scooter but how it is abused by inconsiderate people.
I have watched young and truly aged people including several nuns in Spain. The police there seem tolerant although heaven help anyone who has an accident when wrongdoing may be treated severely.
I have never tried one since childhood in the 1940’s

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Very popular with the kids where we have an apartment...they ride two up, no helmet, early morning off to the complex entrance, dump scooter, climb on school bus....not many reported accidents...however there is a guy in his late teens who must be riding a de-restricted type..50 kph I imagine...no helmet...using his phone....I only wish I had those skills...🤔🇪🇺👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Are you sure about the 250 W rule. All the ones I’ve seen advertised in Spain are greater than this. For instance, this one on sale in Decathlon is 600 W. IsView attachment 960590
yes 250w is it for bikes/scooters otherwise they are classed as mopeds & have to be registered .The offence is not selling them but using them
I know that they are a nuisance on the tram around Benidorm, last year there was usually 2 or even 3 at each doorway.
Not usually allowed due to the fire risk?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
yes 250w is it for bikes/scooters otherwise they are classed as mopeds & have to be registered .The offence is not selling them but using them

Not usually allowed due to the fire risk?
There were plenty on last January,February and March, maybe they have decided not to let them on.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A brief Warning about Lithium powered Bikes and Scooters...
If your budget is limited, you may be tempted to buy the cheaper end of the market...well not all eBikes and eScooter batteries and charging components are built to the same standard, there may be a risk of overheating of certain component parts of the cheaper end of the market..this overheating may be the cause of many catastrophic fires, resulting in loss of life...read below for more information.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
A brief Warning about Lithium powered Bikes and Scooters...
If your budget is limited, you may be tempted to buy the cheaper end of the market...well not all eBikes and eScooter batteries and charging components are built to the same standard, there may be a risk of overheating of certain component parts of the cheaper end of the market..this overheating may be the cause of many catastrophic fires, resulting in loss of life...read below for more information.

Could you recommend a reputable outlet in Spain (I’ve seen them for sale in Decathlon online)?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Could you recommend a reputable outlet in Spain (I’ve seen them for sale in Decathlon online)?
Sorry...but I can't offer any advice on eScooters...we buy our eBikes from Germany...all have certified components and have been rigorously tested independently...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I like my eScooter, got it in Valencia 3yrs ago from the PURE electric shop, its great for the MH and less bulky when I have to assist herself up kerbs etc with her wheelchair handbike, and a lot less hassle in city centres.
Mine is the PURE electric brand (owned by F1 driver Lando Norris´s old man) and 3 yrs in there are no issues, 25kmh, realistic 25-30km range (same as her handbike), insurance is €40 a year, the only time I lug a bike around is when we do the UK.
They are not for everyone, you need to be confident and very aware of your surroundings, when I change I will stay with a Scoot but go up from the current 10" wheels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back