E bike choice (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I’m considering changing my folding e bike (26” wheel ,too bloody heavy) to something smaller/lighter ,I’ve never ridden a 20” wheel bike is the ride different? Harder climbing hills ?,more likely to have problems with pot holes rough ground etc ,I don’t plan on any serious cycling just roads ,paths and so on mainly accompanied by the dogs.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
We've got Carrera Cross City ebikes, 20Kg including battery with 20" wheels. Probably less stable than a 26" bike but adequate for the terrain you describe. Just don't try any black runs.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
We've got Carrera Cross City ebikes, 20Kg including battery with 20" wheels. Probably less stable than a 26" bike but adequate for the terrain you describe. Just don't try any black runs.
By black run I presume you mean those mad downhill runs the nutters do ,if I tried one of those I think there would be a lot of ‘skid’ marks left by me if you catch my drift🤢😗😗😗.
Much easier to store as well I guess.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I tried 20in wheel bikes before buying the one I have but couldn't balance at all and kept falling off. No problems with my bigger bike. Now looking to change for maybe a 24in wheel if such a thing exists, am sure I am shrinking.
I am however very clumsy and the wi fit I had asked if I had problems with balance 🤣

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
We have 20" folders no problem on normal going.Wife hadn't been on a bike for over 20yrs and has no problem (except to my amusement she can only get on or off one side):rolleyes::unsure::unsure::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just bought a new bike went bigger it's what they call a mullet, 29" front wheel & 27.5" rear wheel. It's much more manoveable that the old bike with 27.5" wheels and slightly lighter at 23.5kg with a more powerful motor and much bigger battery (710 watts).
I don't like 20" wheels I find them very unstable on gravel.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
I've been using a 20" wheel folding e-bike for over 4 years now, a SEAGO e-power ( https://www.galanos.gr/product/20-inch-electric-folding-bike-seago-e-power-bike-new-2018-version/ ) that I used to ride to the station (7miles), fold, hop on train to Londinium then to the office and back at end of day.

Very easy to use. As I say to colleagues when they say it is heavy 'yeah, but it has an electric motor'.

Could be persuaded to part with as I have a mega fat tyre 26" wheel bike now.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Is there a great difference in storage room taken up in the van garage between the two sizes?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always had a small wheeled bike from childhood and then changed to a 26 inch folder. I wouldn't go back to a smaller wheeled bike as the 26 inch was just so much more stable and easier and faster. Just my perception.

I think the only way to choose is to try out a variety of bikes.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I always had a small wheeled bike from childhood and then changed to a 26 inch folder. I wouldn't go back to a smaller wheeled bike as the 26 inch was just so much more stable and easier and faster. Just my perception.

I think the only way to choose is to try out a variety of bikes.
Strange ,I always assumed the 20”would be easier to balance/handle ,speed wouldn’t be an issue for me.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
As I said just my perception. With the 26 inch wheels I was able to keep up with the rest of the family. It is an AS bike so on the heavy side.

I did try others before I bought.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
As I said just my perception. With the 26 inch wheels I was able to keep up wit the rest of the family. It is an AS bike so on the heavy side.

I did try others before I bought.
Do you rate the AS bike as a good buy ,been looking at them. Would you change to another make if given the opportunity (same price range)?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Do you rate the AS bike as a good buy ,been looking at them. Would you change to another make if given the opportunity (same price range)?
I am happy with the AS and the step through is very low. I have mobility issues so the low step through was a major plus point.

Due to further (yawn) medical issues I am not able to walk never mind cycle at present but changing to another make is unlikely. The AS is well made and after sales service superb. It is heavy and when I am able to cycle again I'd be happy to continue with the bike I have or swap to a longer range AS - the one with 2 batteries (I would call them to see if that could be a retrofit). Possibly a trike but that is for the future. I am more likely to get a mobility scooter or power wheelchair to be honest :(

The AS is for leisure users and not for racers or "serious" cyclists. I was happy to do 10 or 20 miles a day not as my friend does when she considers 100 miles a short ride. But then what suits one doesn't suit another. My trips tend to be on greenways and disused railways, always traffic free, not a cycle tour around Europe towing a camping trailer!!!!!

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Is there a great difference in storage room taken up in the van garage between the two sizes?
The 20" folder goes in a bag size of a small holdall/case. You can put it the bag and hand carry onto a bus or train where bikes are not allowed. The fat tyre take up about half the garage.

When we get back end of next week I'll put 1 of each in the garage and post a pic.

OP
OP
AlunandFelicie

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I am happy with the AS and the step through is very low. I have mobility issues so the low step through was a major plus point.

Due to further (yawn) medical issues I am not able to walk never mind cycle at present but changing to another make is unlikely. The AS is well made and after sales service superb. It is heavy and when I am able to cycle again I'd be happy to continue with the bile I have or swap to a longer range AS - the one with 2 batteries. Possibly a trike but that is for the future. I am more likely to get a mobility scooter or power wheelchair to be honest :(

The AS is for leisure users and not for racers or "serious" cyclists. I am happy to do 10 or 20 miles a day not as my friend does when she considers 100 miles a short ride. But then what suits one doesn't suit another. My trips tend to be on greenways and disused railways, always traffic free, not a cycle tour around Europe towing a camping trailer!!!!!
My situation is similar ,no health issues for me(so far🤞) but my wife is just about to have a trike (balance issue) so just a matter of cycling alongside her ,main problem for me will be lifting into Van garage.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
My situation is similar ,no health issues for me(so far🤞) but my wife is just about to have a trike (balance issue) so just a matter of cycling alongside her ,main problem for me will be lifting into Van garage.
You can get ramps. Thule have a ramp that would fit, see my ad for velocompact to give an idea. Adapt, improvise, overcome as the old saying goes.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We used to take the batteries off and they went into a cupboard that was otherwise useless - long and thin but took the two batteries as if measured for the job.

Each bike folded and went into it's own travel bag. Wheels first into the garage and the weight was first on the ground and then on the garage floor. Martin did the lifting and I went to the other side of the van and pulled the travel bag into place and fastened it in. Lots of handles on the travel bags were essential - I made the bags after the originals wore out and found the best design was like a parcel with no zips, just ties. Again you need to try before you buy as what suits one person won't suit another.

We also found that if we didn't fold the bikes, just the pedals and handle bars, they would sit side by side in the garage nose to tail if we didn't have the kayaks and gear with us. Further thought meant that the cycling gear and kayak gear was almost interchangeable apart from helmets and PDFs. The bright jackets for cycling worked as kayak cags as there were no hoods. The base layers were almost identical. Again we were fair weather kayakers.

I used a bike basket and the cycle gear packed away into that. If it was a hot day we used the hi-vis gilets from the van when cycling. Everything has to have more than one use!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
As said above I only fold the handlebars,seat and pedals 2 then sit side by side across the back of our pvc garage area with a full width shelf above housing 2 tables 2 recliners,2 X spare 25 ltr water containers 6 kg spare LPG,large compressor cool box used as a freezer garage is under 2' deep and full width of van also houses a small generator and 11kg refillable LPG in a locker + a 2 ring portable cooker and 2 8' old style windbreaks a wastehog hook up leads and fitted chargers for the bikes and I'm sure other stuff I haven't seen for a while :giggle:

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have had an 26" AS for a few years well built/good after service and price .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back