Ducato speedo inaccuracies.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Good morning all.
My Ducato 2016, 2.3 speedo reads 70 when the satnav says 65.
Running on 15" rims at the mo with 215/70/15 tyres.
Not a problem as I think I can adjust the overspeed warning.
But it would be good if it was accurate.
Added complication:-
Getting alloys, could stay with 15" and same size Falken 01, which are the tyres I fancy.
Load rating is 109/107, but speedo would still read high.
Other profiles are available but the size that puts speedo correct has poor load ratings, only just good enough.
Would like to go to 16" and 225/75/16 tyres.
Excellent load rating but speedo would read even higher!!!
Other profiles are available but again load rating goes down, although not as bad as 15" versions.
Really did want higher rating as it allows loser pressures to give a softer ride.
Axle weights in full trim are 1610Kg front, 1500Kg back
Can anyone think of any solutions?
Can the speedo be recalibrated and how ?
Have emailed 3 suppliers to for their recommendations.
Waiting for reply.
Am North East based.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

But it would be good if it was accurate.
All OEM speedometers are required by law to under-read.

The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Most speedos read slower than the actual speed over ground, we never look at the speedo always go off the sat nav, the clock however is a waste of time always slow.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It also depends on positioning of the sat.nav ,dash cam ,etc; I have two dash cams with gps & speed readings & a heads up display .Between the three there is a 5kph difference.

OP
OP
H
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
All OEM speedometers are required by law to under-read.

The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25
Hi Spriddler, that means if my sat nav is correct then the speedo is only approx 7.5% overeading.
Will check what effect bigger wheels/tyres will have.
Adjusting doors alarm might be best option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It also depends on positioning of the sat.nav ,dash cam ,etc; I have two dash cams with gps & speed readings & a heads up display .Between the three there is a 5kph difference.
HI gus-lopez.
Sat nav is slightly right of middle of dashboard, front window just 8" inches in front of it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I fitted 225/70 15 tyres in place of the original 215/70’s. The increased width with the same 70% profile increases the overall circumference of the tyre a little. Our speedo is nearer now, about 2-3 mph below what the sat nav says.
We now have 112 instead of the original 109 load and more comfortable lower tyre pressures.
We’re on Falkens now previously on Continentals, the original 215’s were CP tyres and rock hard.

OP
OP
H
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi Spriddler, that means if my sat nav is correct then the speedo is only approx 7.5% overeading.
Will check what effect bigger wheels/tyres will have.
Adjusting doors alarm might be best option.
Meant speedo alarm, spell corrector again !!!!!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Tyre choices on 16" tend to be significantly taller overall than on 15" rims. So the circumference is bigger. So the speedo is generally more accurate on 16" rims.

OP
OP
H
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I fitted 225/70 15 tyres in place of the original 215/70’s. The increased width with the same 70% profile increases the overall circumference of the tyre a little. Our speedo is nearer now, about 2-3 mph below what the sat nav says.
We now have 112 instead of the original 109 load and more comfortable lower tyre pressures.
We’re on Falkens now previously on Continentals, the original 215’s were CP tyres and rock hard.
My present tyres are 108 loading.
Your set up may well be OK for me.
But, as spriddler says above, Speedos cannot underead; so your one could be illegal.
However sat nav positioning can produce slight wrong speeds as gus-lopez says above, so perhaps nowt to worry about.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

HI gus-lopez.
Sat nav is slightly right of middle of dashboard, front window just 8" inches in front of it.
I don't think position will have a great effect on accuracy.....it will either see the satellites or it won't.
It will be the small variations in the electronic components which make the difference.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I don't think position will have a great effect on accuracy.....it will either see the satellites or it won't.
It will be the small variations in the electronic components which make the difference.
GPS positioning can jump around a bit. Better systems do filtering and use other sensors like accelerometers to reduce the jitter. And going around tighter corners, a good system will do you distance based on a curve rather than straight lines between the position readings. So at lower speeds in built up areas, GPS can have bigger errors. But on the motorway, the differences should be pretty minor.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
My present tyres are 108 loading.
Your set up may well be OK for me.
But, as spriddler says above, Speedos cannot underead; so your one could be illegal.
However sat nav positioning can produce slight wrong speeds as gus-lopez says above, so perhaps nowt to worry about.

Good point and me being a bit dumb, I did of course mean above not below, eg when we’re doing 60mph on the speedo
the satnav says 57/58.
Sorry about the confusion.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Arent modern speedos controlled by the ecu from revs of the engine and the gear in use. If so the size of the tyres will increase or decrease your road speed but the reading on the speedo will not change

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Arent modern speedos controlled by the ecu from revs of the engine and the gear in use. If so the size of the tyres will increase or decrease your road speed but the reading on the speedo will not change
Yes. The ECU has no idea what wheels you have fitted. And the Ducato has quite a range of approved sizes. So it ers on the side of caution. So with smaller circumference wheels, the speedo can over read by quite a bit.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
On my previous van I swapped from 15" to 16" wheels and the speedo was bang on with the satnav and waze.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Most speedos read slower than the actual speed over ground, we never look at the speedo always go off the sat nav, the clock however is a waste of time always slow.
I disagree with that, I think most speedos will read faster than actual speed, they should never read slower

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back