Ducato Series 8 Oil Level ( difficulties and nightmares )

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 6717
Exp
Since 2016
We were fortunate to have a new Motorhome at the end of June 2022. Routinely checking the oil level in August and before a long trip I was surprised to see only 2 bars from 8 registering. Following the handbook procedure I added 250ml of oil but the display did not alter, a further 250 ml was added but no change to the display and I made a note to keep a careful eye on the display. The next week we drove to Folkestone and had an overnight stay before catching Le Shuttle. 250 miles after topping the oil up and now in France the display jumps to 8 bars and a red warning to stop. We were recovered and had two nights in a Calais hotel. The French mechanic explained they had made sure the oil level was correct but the display was a complete work of fiction, ok to continue our trip but book in when back in the UK. Ok so booked in and the gauge was recalibrated, no need to replace we were told. Jump to March this year and another warning light, oil pressure/level sensor not responding. Back at the Fiat Professional Dealership and the sensor is replaced under warranty. Recently checked display and guess what, 2 bars showing level is low and needs top up, 250 ml added no change in display, spoken to dealer who says do not add any further vehicle needs to go in for diagnostics and from what I can make out the only way they can be certain of the oil content is to drain and refill. Anyone still reading this may be wondering if I still feel much like a Funster, the answer unfortunately is no especially as I have now been told that any work is chargeable as my warranty has expired .
If you have a Series 8 Ducato please keep an eye on the oil level. I despair that no resolution seems available for this problem.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
is no especially as I have now been told that any work is chargeable as my warranty has expired .
Asthe fault was there prior to the warranty running out you should let them start the work then state in writing that no parts are to be fitted until Fiat agrees to foot the bill .They cannot reassemble the vehicle until you or fiat say so.You should also contact Fiat via the italian number & speak to them regarding the fact that it has been repaired twice under warranty & is not fit for purpose under eu regulations regarding repairs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
As this is an “on going” problem which surfaced whilst it was in warranty I can’t understand how they can now say it’s chargeable.
Surely they must accept that the problem was never solved properly.
A right pain, good luck.
I would put everything in writing to Fiat, don’t rely on the spoken word.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chris3086
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 6717
Exp
Since 2016
The Service Agent who I suspect has some knowledge of this particular problem is telling me that any warranty work is only guaranteed until the base vehicle warranty expires even if the last sensor change was a few months ago however if I had paid for the repair it would carry a 24 month warranty.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
The Service Agent who I suspect has some knowledge of this particular problem is telling me that any warranty work is only guaranteed until the base vehicle warranty expires even if the last sensor change was a few months ago however if I had paid for the repair it would carry a 24 month warranty.
This surely can’t be correct in consumer law. Work carried out under warranty and the actual work does not fix the problem. Agent then says but your vehicle warranty runs out in a weeks time so that is the extent of the warranty for the work carried out?
I can’t believe Fiat will try to fob you off when they read the full account.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
We were fortunate to have a new Motorhome at the end of June 2022. Routinely checking the oil level in August and before a long trip I was surprised to see only 2 bars from 8 registering. Following the handbook procedure I added 250ml of oil but the display did not alter, a further 250 ml was added but no change to the display and I made a note to keep a careful eye on the display. The next week we drove to Folkestone and had an overnight stay before catching Le Shuttle. 250 miles after topping the oil up and now in France the display jumps to 8 bars and a red warning to stop. We were recovered and had two nights in a Calais hotel. The French mechanic explained they had made sure the oil level was correct but the display was a complete work of fiction, ok to continue our trip but book in when back in the UK. Ok so booked in and the gauge was recalibrated, no need to replace we were told. Jump to March this year and another warning light, oil pressure/level sensor not responding. Back at the Fiat Professional Dealership and the sensor is replaced under warranty. Recently checked display and guess what, 2 bars showing level is low and needs top up, 250 ml added no change in display, spoken to dealer who says do not add any further vehicle needs to go in for diagnostics and from what I can make out the only way they can be certain of the oil content is to drain and refill. Anyone still reading this may be wondering if I still feel much like a Funster, the answer unfortunately is no especially as I have now been told that any work is chargeable as my warranty has expired .
If you have a Series 8 Ducato please keep an eye on the oil level. I despair that no resolution seems available for this problem.
Hi, thanks for this, I have a June 22 Ducato and I have had an identical problem as you. I have just taken it (yesterday) to my trusted garage who drained and refilled completely. They also attached a diagnostic computer which couldn't detect a problem, yet it read as overfilled even when emptied!!
They unplugged the sensor and found it had some oil in it. They cleaned the plug and socket with brake cleaner and they plugged it back in.
I drove home and the fault had gone. It is now/currently reading almost full, which is correct.
Ours may well go faulty again, but it may be worth trying thouroughly cleaning plug/socket with contact cleaner first??
Good luck.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
My '21 Boxer's gauge always reads 2 dots down. My friendly garage said it’s easy for us, we just drain it and pour in the correct amount. I find the dipstick amazingly hard to read. They said only check it when it’s cold which does help. Not much help to you, though, just agreeing that the gauges seem to be as useful as my fresh water tank gauge …

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
I have a 2022 Ducato 2.2 Series 8, 9 speed auto.
17,000 miles on the clock. Not a problem.

The owner's manual actually covers a wider range of regular checks and maintenance. Equally important - have fun 😀.

My gauge. Once added 200ml and level indicator rose though not instantly.

As a warning I would say never add half a litre without an idea where the oil has gone. Overfilling is a no no.

PXL_20240820_145233776.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since2019
I had problems with Oil gauge showing 3 bars and not changing when adding 200ml at a time and driving between each fill. I then drained it out - got out an amount that should have meant a full reading on gauge before draining.

After draining I still had 3 bars!!!

I filled with 90% of oil needed - still 3 bars.

Went on 2000 mile holiday to Germany and on way to Folkestone the display showed 80% full.

3 months later I am back at three bars and 200ml makes no difference. I will try cleaning the sensor.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
I had problems with Oil gauge showing 3 bars and not changing when adding 200ml at a time and driving between each fill. I then drained it out - got out an amount that should have meant a full reading on gauge before draining.

After draining I still had 3 bars!!!

I filled with 90% of oil needed - still 3 bars.

Went on 2000 mile holiday to Germany and on way to Folkestone the display showed 80% full.

3 months later I am back at three bars and 200ml makes no difference. I will try cleaning the sensor.
I'd be back to Fiat Professional with that issue.
From what you say there is a gauge/sender issue.
If you've complied with Fiat service, dealer should at least assist.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It can't be hard technology. Surely it's pretty similar to a fuel gauge, just with a shorter range?

Theoretically it could give more accurate readings than a dipstick because it could be ideally situated, rather than in a location that's possible to do the stick path, which might put it in a position that's sensitive to slope.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since2019
Booking it in when we get back.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Is the only way to check oil via the display, does it not have a dipstick as well?
The Fiat engine was adapted from the Jeep/Alfa 2.2.

In moving it across, there's no easy path for a dipstick to reach the sump. Fiat have done their best with electronic sensors instead, but not ideal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back