Ducato rear doors. Doors open sensor. (2 Viewers)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have a problem on the rear doors of a Ducato minibus (2014 130hp)
Doors are identical to those on a Fiat PVC.

Been getting the 'doors open' message intermittently for weeks now.

The microswitch or proximity switch needs a little tweaking.

Trouble is it is not obvious where it is , it's not in the door frame and I can't see anything obvious on any of the hinges.

Have any Funsters had the same problem on their PVC and can offer some advice?

If not I will bite the bullet and adjust the doors inwards via the latch plates etc.

TIA

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
It will almost certainly be the side loading door. The you tube link shows how to mend it. I know it refers to the central locking but this is where the fault will be.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for your replies.
I don't think it's the side door which is powered cos it's a minibus and driven semi independently to the main doors.
If I open the rear doors and slam them shut the error goes out. But reappears once the body flexes a bit.
I just need to find it.
I can see me having to adjust the doors as I mentioned above.
This could be a little difficult , big spline headed fixings (ie not Torx)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
What you are describing is typical of the side loading door. The body flexis and shows a open rear door message. .
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just checked my rear doors and if they are not properly slammed shut the warning comes onto the dash but I am dammned if I van see where the contacts are. The only thing that comes to mind is that is inside the door on the latching mechanism. I think the side door bit is a typical red herring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is most likely the sliding door ... they can be a pain because they can move a little backwards/forwards as you travel and if the contact is only slight this can be sufficient to make the alert show. Try the sliding door fix first and see if that sorts it.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
3C1C3E0B-4BD8-49CB-AE71-8A12477A1FEE.jpeg
D19E0F9A-DD41-40FA-8052-4B202DC8000C.jpeg
Right forget the sliding door, the switch is in the door lock as per the first photo, if you manually trigger the lock mechanism and leave the door open there is no warning light. Try adjusting the striker plate in the second photo, I had a similar problem when this came loose.

Ps photos came in wrong order.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Also, at the bottom of the doors there is a wedge shaped plate that stops the door from rattling, that may be causing the door to not close properly. They adjust easily...

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just to aid others.
There were two sources of the door open message.
Rear doors and sliding side door.
I fixed the rear door by moving the striker inboard.
The side door was not so obvious until I looked at the fixed connecting block or pad attached to the door frame which mates with the 4 spring loaded contacts carried on the door.
This was very loose but not fixed with conventional screws etc. so not easy awy of tightening it.
I fixed it by packing it outwards with cardboard strips.
This did the trick, magic! no more door messages:D

Incidentally , if I am correct I found that if you turn the ign off with a door open message active the central locking does not lock the vehicle and gives no warning honk of the horn of flash of indicators etc. I found I had to open and close the side door to cancel the message, then it would.

contacts.jpg

Matt92

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks fellas it worked for me! ( the video)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks fellas it worked for me! ( the video)
I packed my side door contacts out with plastic sheet. Thought it might last longer than cardboard. :) Moving the "striker" on the rear door inwards made no difference as the contacts are internal so as long as the mechanism grabs it then it will signal closed. :) That's my experience anyway. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When you find it, disconnect it, bypass it or bridge it...... Problem solved forever.
If you can't tell if a door is open while driving you need hearing aids... The wind will whistle, the door will rattle.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just to aid others.
There were two sources of the door open message.
Rear doors and sliding side door.
I fixed the rear door by moving the striker inboard.
The side door was not so obvious until I looked at the fixed connecting block or pad attached to the door frame which mates with the 4 spring loaded contacts carried on the door.
This was very loose but not fixed with conventional screws etc. so not easy awy of tightening it.
I fixed it by packing it outwards with cardboard strips.
This did the trick, magic! no more door messages:D

Incidentally , if I am correct I found that if you turn the ign off with a door open message active the central locking does not lock the vehicle and gives no warning honk of the horn of flash of indicators etc. I found I had to open and close the side door to cancel the message, then it would.

View attachment 228924
You don’t need cardboard, the metal is not much thicker than a baked bean can.
you can pull it back with you fingers, bad design at its best.

andy

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
When you find it, disconnect it, bypass it or bridge it...... Problem solved forever.
If you can't tell if a door is open while driving you need hearing aids... The wind will whistle, the door will rattle.

How do you disconnect and bypass it. Would love to on mine because it's driving me insane!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How do you disconnect and bypass it. Would love to on mine because it's driving me insane!!!
Isn't yours a Transit though?
To my knowledge you have to renew the lock assembly as everything is contained inside. I couldn't find a way to stop it throwing up messages now & then which also means you cannot lock any part of the van until it is corrected. I had to get a lock from a scrap vehicle.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Isn't yours a Transit though?
To my knowledge you have to renew the lock assembly as everything is contained inside. I couldn't find a way to stop it throwing up messages now & then which also means you cannot lock any part of the van until it is corrected. I had to get a lock from a scrap vehicle.

Mine is a Peugeot Boxer (2013).

Hugh_Field

Free Member
Mar 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
IH
Bending the metal or packing the plastic moulding out on the body will solve the problem, but there is actually a correct means of curingit by re-setting the adjustment built in to the matingpart on the door. If you remove this and poke a thin tool into a hole in teh back of teh moulding you can push the adjustment pin out by a few clicks. After re-fitting the moulding the pin will be re-set to the correct position when you close the door.

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
We had same trouble with our Fiat Possl. Found it was water getting into the side door sensor.

Jul 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
ducato
I have this problem and packing the contactor isn't helping. How do I bypass/bridge it? is it possible to do the same to the rear door to discover where the problem lies? thanks

Jul 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
ducato
I have this problem and packing the contactor isn't helping. How do I bypass/bridge it? is it possible to do the same to the rear door to discover where the problem lies? thanks

Jul 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
Citroen relay conver
Hi have the wat to bypass the rear door proximity switch as mine is a total pain as my old gal took a minor shunt in the rar got it all fixed but keep getting the rear door is open I checked the side door and that's ok so it leaves the back door so need to by pass the proximity switch as I cannot lock the van can you help me please cheers

Nov 6, 2022
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55 Fun
Exp
nearly 40 years!
It will almost certainly be the side loading door. The you tube link shows how to mend it. I know it refers to the central locking but this is where the fault will be.

Just had the same problem with our 2022 Boxer - great fix, thanks Andyman. So glad it happened near to home, where I could find an old ice cream tub lid to pack it out with, and not 2 weeks ago in the Pyrenees!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back