Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I get my brakes examined annually and although the discs were rusted around the edges they didn't look bad and passed an MOT. The outwood facing pads had plenty of meat on them.
Coming home from our bank holiday break the abs light came on and I noticed a slight squeeze when the brakes were hot. So I took it in to a local garage I use, the code read rh rear abs electronic fault.
Van over the pit it soon became obvious that the sensor was seized in and of course broke off.
Next course of action was the brake disk had to come off to access the other side of the sensor. Hand brake shoes slackened off and disc loosened but it wouldn't come off. It was catching on the hand brake shoes. Many tries later with increasing sizes of tools the disc was off.
On looking at it there was a large band of rust at the edge stopping it moving. So obviously the shoes were now wrecked, and looking at the inside surface of the disc it was half rust half shiney and the pad was almost non existant.
I put it down to not being used much during covid.
So new pads, discs and shoes required and of course the ABS sensor.
So in reality if you have the rear brakes with the internal brake shoes they need stripping every few years to clean and don't presume that because the outer pads look like new the inner one will be OK. The inside pad would have disintegrated way before the wear sensor on the outer pad would notify you of it being worn out.

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Surely if the brakes were examined, the wheels have to come off. So you can see the wear on the pads both sides of the disc by looking through the top of the caliper. The handbrake shoes are not really a wear item as they're only applied while stationary.
I would never wait for a wear sensor to alert me to my brakes condition.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Let us know by whom, so we can all avoid them :LOL: :LOL:

Geoff
It's a commercial MOT centre, and they did put a caution on rusty discs on the MOT in January, so most likely the inner pad started binding suring the year.
After seeing what I've seen I would advise that at around 3 years the discs need to be taken off, the band of rust on the perimeter of the inside of the brake disc where the shoes are needs sanding back. The pads and the calipers cleaned and copper greased with the mating point of the hub to the wheel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back