Ducato panel van, lower body wrap (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We are currently looking at our next van and given the problems of getting a Ducato 180bhp 9 speed auto in a colour we want, we have been offered a white van and are discussing wrapping the bottom half in a contrasting colour, ala Eriba or vw.
Thoughts on the downsides to this, longevity, washing and cleaning it? No worries about its application, the preparation will be professional, just not sure……..?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A good job can last 5 years before any real deteriation using the correct vinyl, and can actually keep the original paintwork in good condition. Some thing like.oracal cast 970

Even then it can still look good for more years, depends on how "perfect" you want it.
Easily removed and replaced with other colours and designs too.

Edit....remember some vinyls and laminates shrink more than others..(calendared)

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
A good job can last 5 years before any real deteriation using the correct vinyl, and can actually keep the original paintwork in good condition. Some thing like.oracal cast
Really helpful, thank you, Anything you think I should insist on re make or application? Can you wash it with a garage pressure washer or will this destroy it?
What do you think of the idea of a bottom half wrap, we really don’t like white vans!!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
If it's a problem installation then ask if it's cast vinyl (will be) or if you don't want to ask outright just ask for a look at a piece, sample colour it usually has it stamped all over the back of the roll
Like oracal xxxx then Google it.

Power washing no problem , bottom half wrap is ideal in my mind, easy to apply, and the trim separates and slight differences when removed so can't be really noticed (unless the van gets to my age of course ) :LOL:

Oracal is the big name but there are others. Just make sure it's cast and not calendared

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, also ask are they overlaminating the vinyl.

Extra lasting protection for colour and chips.(Most do)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
If it's a problem installation then ask if it's cast vinyl (will be) or if you don't want to ask outright just ask for a look at a piece, sample colour it usually has it stamped all over the back of the roll
Like oracal xxxx then Google it.

Power washing no problem , bottom half wrap is ideal in my mind, easy to apply, and the trim separates and slight differences when removed so can't be really noticed (unless the van gets to my age of course ) :LOL:

Oracal is the big name but there are others. Just make sure it's cast and not calendared
Fantastic, thank you.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you want to see how it will last take a good look at sainsburys, Tesco etc delivery vans at 3 years old

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
they start getting tatty, with dirt build up at the edges and joins of the vinyl, where the glue stays tacky
That's because they use caladared , cheap pre printed and shrinks, sometimes up to 5mm. Because the vans only have to last a short time then sent back in stripped and sold or handed back to the lease company.
The op won't have that issue if the install is professional as discussed

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I had a quote to wrap my MH a couple of years ago because of the faded graphics, I was told that 3-5 years would be the lifespan using a quality wrap, it would still look ok after that time but would start to show its age, cost at the time was close to €900.
After removing the old graphics and machine polishing the van, I decided to leave it as it looked good.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I would suggest you get yourself a graphics programme on your PC, a decent picture of the van you are thinking of then play with the graphics. Not sure I'd be happy with just "a bottom half wrap", needs to blend in properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back