Ducato Fuel Tank Size Increase

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki Sport
Exp
Still learning Since 2015
The owners hand book that came with Kon-Tiki Sport, say it has 75 litre tank(*)
(*) A 90 litre tank is available on request for all versions. With the “ Tempo Libero” option a 60 litre tank is available on request. I think the option has to be ordered when the van is made, not an after market option.

Keith

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi its has 250 starting the vin number - 2.3L with a comfort-matic.
Many X290s start with X250 on the VIN, our previous and current ones do.

Our Adria Compact (adblue) is 75L.
There would appear to be three sizes - 90,75,60L.
Fiat also do a long range 120 litre fuel tank which we had in our Globecars and sorely miss as our Carthago is only 90 litres, no ad blue required by any of them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’ve done the 90ltr conversion from the 60ltr tank on my roller team Pegaso, pretty easy to do if your at all mechanically minded. Basically remove the outer hatch cover beside passenger seat, remove inner hatch, unplug the 2 wiring plugs, unbolt the breather pipe and pull out of pump top. Undo the big plastic nut holding the fuel pump in, this can be tricky as its spring loaded and be careful not to drop the blue o ring seal into the tank. Manoeuvre the pump assembly out then remove the plastic restrictor tube and replace in reverse of above. with +/- 90ltr in tank i get around 160mls before the gauge starts dropping from full. I also have had it once come up on dash “fuel level unavailable” and gauge reading empty but did 20/30 miles and turned off ignition then back on again and all works fine, I assume the level reader went off the scale until the level came down a bit. there is a FIAT ducato fuel pump removal tool that makes life much easier on Amazon that I bought, cheap and as I say makes removing the big plastic nut on top of pump much easier.

should say this on a 2018 Fiat Ducato base

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our Adria Compact (adblue) is 75L.
There would appear to be three sizes - 90,75,60L.
Engines with Adblue standard tank 75 Lt, long range 90 Lt, most Motorhome converters fit the 90 Lt, well German ones do.

Pre Adblue 90 Lt standard, long range 120 Lt.

The 60Lt is a cheat by converters struggling for payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
No the ad blue version has a smaller fuel tank as far as I know hence the question
Add blue is injected into the exhaust system if it entered the fuel system it would stop the engine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes but the ad blue tank is probably by the fuel tank so the fuel tank is smaller
That's my understanding as the filling points are under the same flap.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't know what our tank size is but the compooter shows 600 odd mile range when I fill up 😍

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Ours was 90l standard and took option for 120l. It doesn't seem to change the fuel gauge though and haven't yet had the nerve to run it for long after computer says 0 miles range 😳.

Max obtained fill has been about 100l. One day I will try it and run it empty 🙄

NicandJay

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Ours was 90l standard and took option for 120l. It doesn't seem to change the fuel gauge though and haven't yet had the nerve to run it for long after computer says 0 miles range 😳.

Is that wise or is it a myth that there will loads of crude in the bottom of the tank which will block your fuel filter?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

I've run about 20 miles past the zero miles left warning and still only got 85 litres in.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Mine is a 90L tank. Nearest I got to empty was the range reading 20 miles, although I only got 80L in. It was nerve-racking at the top of Porlock Hill seeing the available range plummet from about 60 to 15. It does base upon recent consumption though as I went as far as Countisbury and back to Minehead before I filled up. Don't generally let it get quite that low.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Many X290s start with X250 on the VIN, our previous and current ones do.

Fiat also do a long range 120 litre fuel tank which we had in our Globecars and sorely miss as our Carthago is only 90 litres, no ad blue required by any of them.
We have the long range tank on our Globecar as well
Handy but can make you cry when filling it. :unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have the long range tank on our Globecar as well
Handy but can make you cry when filling it. :unsure:
Not as bad as what we paid in France today ... €1.90 a litre and that was CHEAP!!! :oops:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We must have the long range tank in ours.
90 plus litres to fill when on 1/4.
600mile plus range when full.
Needs refuelling, gonna be expensive
I remember when the litres would go up quicker than the £s

OP
OP
hadders
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
I’ve done the 90ltr conversion from the 60ltr tank on my roller team Pegaso, pretty easy to do if your at all mechanically minded. Basically remove the outer hatch cover beside passenger seat, remove inner hatch, unplug the 2 wiring plugs, unbolt the breather pipe and pull out of pump top. Undo the big plastic nut holding the fuel pump in, this can be tricky as its spring loaded and be careful not to drop the blue o ring seal into the tank. Manoeuvre the pump assembly out then remove the plastic restrictor tube and replace in reverse of above. with +/- 90ltr in tank i get around 160mls before the gauge starts dropping from full. I also have had it once come up on dash “fuel level unavailable” and gauge reading empty but did 20/30 miles and turned off ignition then back on again and all works fine, I assume the level reader went off the scale until the level came down a bit. there is a FIAT ducato fuel pump removal tool that makes life much easier on Amazon that I bought, cheap and as I say makes removing the big plastic nut on top of pump much easier.

Hi, interesting thanks. I've read that you can limit the sender so it doesn't go 'off the scale' and confuse the computer. It hits the original full level showing a full tank and then once you've used the additional it goes back to normal readings.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi, interesting thanks. I've read that you can limit the sender so it doesn't go 'off the scale' and confuse the computer. It hits the original full level showing a full tank and then once you've used the additional it goes back to normal readings.
I did try to work out a way to limit how far the level could go on the scale but didn’t come up with a good solution, but if you do the conversion to 90ltr and come up with a way of limiting the level reader do let me know
thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017

Digging up an old thread I know, but we had a wierd issue that is likely related to this.

On filling up a few months back the wife, who was filling it, rattled on the window. She was up near £100 on the pump, which we'd never had before, and it still hadn't cut out. Tank hadn't even been that empty either, we were just topping up where it was cheap before we started the bulk of the journey. Anyway I told her just to stop filling and checked to ensure there hadn't been a leak i.e. no diesel under the van.

On starting up the fuel guage showed empty, with the "fuel level unavailable" message on the dash. As we knew the tank must be full we decided not to worry. As she drove I calculated roughly how much litres of fuel we'd need to stick in for every 100miles driven, as we get a fairly consistent 28mpg. We stopped for a food break after about an hour, at which point the fuel warning dissappeared and the fuel gauge was sat on full. A few hours driving and at least another 100miles later the fuel gauge finally started to drop.

From both of us never recalling the range ever being more than around 380 miles when on full I reckon our 2017 ducato based Swift Escape must have a 60litre tank. Based on the fact we must have had much more than 60litres in it on that occasion then it must be a larger tank that's been limited. No idea why though as its a fairly basic motorhome so has 585kg payload according to the vehicle specs. Also no idea why it overfilled on that occasion, and despite finding the German thread about how some tanks are limited we've been careful how much we've put in since. Might be brave enough to try filling it past 60litres at some point in the future to see if it'll do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back