Dual Nationality and EU Travel (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I keep getting kicked out of the EU lanes when flying with my EU passported wife. We go in separate lanes now and she waits to check I get through without her needing to get involvedā€¦. No issues to date flying, only when in the Motorhome and they think they have an overstayer! šŸ¤£
Has the duration of your stay(s) been queried at all when flying?

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
You are turning what was a sensible discussion into a thread that's heading for the Belly Locker, keep your opinions to yourself unless it adds to the discussion!

Thank you Bailey58. This thread was a request for information about joint citizenship rules for my wife.

If anyone urgently feels the need to make a political point about how or why the nation decided to do what it did, then don't do it on this thread. Start your own one up and then Jim can explain why he doesn't allow that subject on any of the threads on the forum.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Has the duration of your stay(s) been queried at all when flying?

Neverā€¦ BUT, so far Iā€™ve only ever flown whilst inside a 90 day period. Im flying back on my own (yes no adult supervision) on 9th Oct from the current trip to go blue fin tuna fishing in Cornwall. We only left the UK at the end of August. Other solo trips have just fallen similarly. However this Christmas I will be over 90 days away and be travelling back over four months from leaving late August, so that fails to the lay border control person, on all counts! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤Ŗ

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Neverā€¦ BUT, so far Iā€™ve only ever flown whilst inside a 90 day period. Im flying back on my own (yes no adult supervision) on 9th Oct from the current trip to go blue fin tuna fishing in Cornwall. We only left the UK at the end of August. Other solo trips have just fallen similarly. However this Christmas I will be over 90 days away and be travelling back over four months from leaving late August, so that fails to the lay border control person, on all counts! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤Ŗ
No adult supervision? Can you be trusted young man? ;) I didnā€™t know you could go blue fin tuna fishing from Cornwall, hope you post pics if you catch!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
No adult supervision? Can you be trusted young man? ;) I didnā€™t know you could go blue fin tuna fishing from Cornwall, hope you post pics if you catch!

Not sure I can... we will find out soon enough! šŸ¤Ŗ The wife is staying in Portugal while I try and catch one of these majestic creatures.

Yes Falmouth (off shore) area has become a hotspot. Would be loverly if I can send you a pic or two! šŸ¤Ŗ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
Just come through the tunnel and my wife has an Irish passport and when I gave my British passport the French insisted on stamping my british one ā€œsince brexit you are British so it gets stampedā€ so much for entente cordial. French hate us

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Just come through the tunnel and my wife has an Irish passport and when I gave my British passport the French insisted on stamping my british one ā€œsince brexit you are British so it gets stampedā€ so much for entente cordial. French hate us

But that is what happens to everyone with a UK passport!

Their border Police have one job. We are not in their club, so our passports gets stamped. I have no problem with it.
Also, look at it from their point of view. Pierre Le Frenchhomme, joined the border police thinking it was all guns and fast cars, dragging down smugglers and arresting drug lords. Imagine how dispiriting it is to be stuck in a booth, seeing an endless succession of happy cheerful Brits going off on holidays or a tour to the land of wide empty roads, aires, wine and hypermarkets bigger than many French villages. And your job is to stamp their passports. I'd be Monsieur Grumpy as well.

I have never found anything but friendliness and helpfulness from the French people. Couldn't live there, but love touring there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would also add any vehicle in a country too long has to be registered in that country. We had a tenant, from Poland, who had his car seized because he had not registered it here.
They have 6 months , the same as me, then the vehicle has to leave for another 6 months before it can return. The person though can leave & return next day & clock restarts + there is nothing wrong with then returning with another vforeign vehicle
Hi can I ask how long it took you get added to the FBR database. My application was acknowledged in April this year, have read on the website stating 9 months approx time to completion.
took my mate 2 years & 6 months as it was before & during covid.then he had to apply for the passport, which he received july last year so 4 years in all
By significant you mean those who voted in the country,
i've corrected that for you
French hate us
Yes my wife thinks that .There is certainly no love for anyone foreign

Jun 25, 2020
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since2001
It was total joy travelling on my new, recently acquired German passport this August (instead of my lifelong UK passport) along with my British wife.
In Dover it was simple as hand them my German, Jude's UK passport and marriage certificate. Duly handed back within 30 seconds with no stamps. Result!
I would like to know though what will happen when we return in November....and implications of EES and ETIAS next year?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
But that is what happens to everyone with a UK passport!
No it doesn't . I always hand
I'd be Monsieur Grumpy as well.
so what about all the rest all over the place? another thing that puzzles me is how they get away with anything food, goods, etc; in french language only ? not legalin the eu. First thing i look at. silver crest & workzone have to provide completly seperate packing for France
I have never found anything but friendliness and helpfulness from the French people
apart from all info in french even at attractions .

Nov 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT-570 Xover
Exp
New to MH - caravan 40 yrs
My passport application just arrived in Dublin yesterday, hopefully all done for my winter trip šŸ˜( it's been a couple of years in the making)I always read these types of threads to see how people get on
Happy motorhoming šŸ˜Ž.
Cheers Cris šŸ»
My Irish passport is due to be issued on the tenth September. Can't wait to get it.

Apr 20, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
California vw
Exp
I keep getting kicked out of the EU lanes when flying with my EU passported wife. We go in separate lanes now and she waits to check I get through without her needing to get involvedā€¦. No issues to date flying, only when in the Motorhome and they think they have an overstayer! šŸ¤£

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
It was total joy travelling on my new, recently acquired German passport this August (instead of my lifelong UK passport) along with my British wife.
In Dover it was simple as hand them my German, Jude's UK passport and marriage certificate. Duly handed back within 30 seconds with no stamps. Result!
I would like to know though what will happen when we return in November....and implications of EES and ETIAS next year?

Do you mean that your wifeā€™s UK passport wasnā€™t stamped, because it should have been and could, although unlikely, create a problem if the border personnel query the lack of an entry stamp.

Jun 25, 2020
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since2001
I was informed by the German Embassy that she travels as an EU citizen provided we travel together, there is no 90/180 for her....just saying what I was told and our experience, would like to hear others!
Do you mean that your wifeā€™s UK passport wasnā€™t stamped, because it should have been and could, although unlikely, create a problem if the border personnel query the lack of an entry stamp.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
I was informed by the German Embassy that she travels as an EU citizen provided we travel together, there is no 90/180 for her....just saying what I was told and our experience, would like to hear others!

Thatā€™s correct as you say, the 90/180 rule doesnā€™t apply to her when she accompanies you, but it doesnā€™t negate the requirement for her U.K. passport to be stamped as per any ā€˜third countryā€™ citizen entering the EU unless they also hold a residence card.

Iā€™ve noticed that the EU border staff are tending to place the relevant entry and exit stamps together in my U.K. passport so that they can quickly check the qualifying dates - my wife being Irish has no stamps - so they do seem to be taking more interest in potential overstays. Several of us travelling with EU spouses are expecting problems once the electronic systems are up and running, unless there is a facility to link our joint entry/exit dates, as it will likely trigger an automatic overstay which will require explanation.

Oct 26, 2021
Petersfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574 A class
Exp
A returner after a 10 year gap
I, with my UK passport, travelled with my wife (Danish passport) to the Faroes last month. Couple of days from Rotterdam to Hirtshals for the ferry to the Faroes and out of the EU/Schengen. No passports were or could be stamped on exit so on arrival in Torshavn we asked for a stamp as it would appear we were in the EU for all 30 days away. "Don't do that now, you could try the police". We did, with a similar answer but the suggestion we keep our tickets etc.

I had an update from UK Gov on travel to Germany today (other countries are available) with details on the new entry requirements for November onwards, they are well documented on Fun but here. Among the advice was the same suggestion so it seems we have to keep hold of our travel docs for future journeys.

If youā€™re a visitor, border guards will look at your entry and exit stamps to check you have not overstayed the 90-day visa-free limit for the Schengen area.

If your passport is missing a stamp, show evidence of when and where you entered or left the Schengen area (for example, boarding passes or tickets) and ask the border guards to add the date and location in your passport.
Well that will be fun. No border posts entering Germany from Luxembourg , Denmark or Austria. 30 days in Europe took us over 8 EU member state borders. The only border post we saw was entering Denmark and that was only stopping some commercial traffic.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
So Mrs DDJC has dual nationality, two passports, Irish and British. I only have one, British.

What are the rules regarding how long you can stay in the EU? Is it Schengen dependent, or does it apply to all EU countries?

I have spent a couple of hours trawling websites and basically, I have read several entirely contradictory answers. So, I thought I would ask the experts. If you do have two passports, how does it work? What are the advantages and pitfalls?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Well that will be fun. No border posts entering Germany from Luxembourg , Denmark or Austria. 30 days in Europe took us over 8 EU member state borders. The only border post we saw was entering Denmark and that was only stopping some commercial traffic.
Years ago I was told that if travelling by road & you needed it stamped then most autovias had a duane/customs shortly before either border for lorries that required checking/stamping of paperwork, & you should go off in to one of them to get a stamp

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
But did you actually leave the EU? If you did you only need some form of paperwork from the non member country, as said even an ATM printout or till receipt should be enough if you don't have travel docs as we did.

May 18, 2022
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
I am a newbie
When we looked for Mrs. Odd I was surprised to find that if anyone has an Irish parent, born in Ireland, that person is already Irish and doesn't need to apply for citizenship, just a passport. The passport application takes about 4 weeks once all the documents are together. The most difficult thing for us was finding someone to sign the ID. In the end we got our vet to do it, later she told us that she did have a call from the Irish consulate to confirm her identity.

Now we have that sorted we will try to get a passport for our daughter, that will be more complicated as she will need to register her birth with the Irish authorities. I'm not sure how to do that, but it is possible just takes longer.
Your daughter only needs to apply for a passport on her parentage so the Irish passport holder submits their passport (evidence of nationality) and voila!!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Your daughter only needs to apply for a passport on her parentage so the Irish passport holder submits their passport (evidence of nationality) and voila!!

For our U.K. born son to apply for the Irish passport based on his motherā€™s nationality it also required our marriage certificate and his birth certificate to be produced.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think that's only the case of Mrs. Odd had been born in Ireland , looking at it she will need her grandfather's birth certificate, her mum's birth certificate, her own birth certificate and her change of name deed. We have all of these apart from daughters birth certificate, which she should have, although I'm not sure, she's not good at keeping things. She also needs a certified copy of her British passport. Getting the copy certified along with the identity statement is not easy, as the person authorised to do it must have known her for some time.

Sep 23, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
>8 years in T5
DerfelUK Was it easy to get your German passport? My husbands parents were both German and weā€™re considering trying to get one for him to make travelling more flexible.

Jun 25, 2020
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since2001
DerfelUK Was it easy to get your German passport? My husbands parents were both German and weā€™re considering trying to get one for him to make travelling more flexible.
Happy to discuss in detail privately but in general terms here....
Met some great people in the Alsace returning home last year. She was going to apply, I was confused thinking that language was essential.
I emailed our local German embassy in Liverpool simply 3 lines, explaining I believe I may be entitled. Same day reply, it looks as though you are!
"Please send photos of certain docs". The Consulate agreed, appointment made, 3 weeks later, with docs under arm and a very specific formatted passport photo, forms filled, fees paid, job done.
4 weeks later, Reispass arrived in the post!
Happy to send copy of email etc and links etc.

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Says someone, who is suggesting another poster could leave the country.Pot,kettle,black.
I shan't comment anymore because it's pointless with some folk.
Surely it added to the discussion point, in that it offered another way of avoiding the 90/180 rule.

Nov 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT-570 Xover
Exp
New to MH - caravan 40 yrs
Just reading about the ETA that the UK is introducing. Will this affect dual national passport holders. Eg. Irish passport and UK passport holder who travels to EU on Irish passport to avoid 90/180. What happens on return to UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back