Dual Nationality and EU Travel (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
So Mrs DDJC has dual nationality, two passports, Irish and British. I only have one, British.

What are the rules regarding how long you can stay in the EU? Is it Schengen dependent, or does it apply to all EU countries?

I have spent a couple of hours trawling websites and basically, I have read several entirely contradictory answers. So, I thought I would ask the experts. If you do have two passports, how does it work? What are the advantages and pitfalls?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As long as you are both together then the 90 days in 180 does not couint for you.
Mrs DDJC cannot stop more than 90 consecutive days in 180 in ANY eu state .After 89 days though you can leave for 24 hours, clock resets & you can return ,if you wish , for another 90 days. You can continually trawl arou d the eu.
Rarely is the eu citizen 90 days in 180 enforced as they cannot throw you out.
In those states that require registration after 90 consecutive days that is the offence "failing to regioster" you stilll can't be expelled.
If mrs DDJC leaves you alone then your days start adding up :How anyone one knows is magic ¿?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
As far as I know, and I'm in the same position, Mrs. Odd has an Irish passport, as long as we travel together the 90 days does not apply. However not all border control staff know this.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
As long as you are both together then the 90 days in 180 does not couint for you.
Mrs DDJC cannot stop more than 90 consecutive days in 180 in ANY eu state .After 89 days though you can leave for 24 hours, clock resets & you can return ,if you wish , for another 90 days. You can continually trawl arou d the eu.
Rarely is the eu citizen 90 days in 180 enforced as they cannot throw you out.
In those states that require registration after 90 consecutive days that is the offence "failing to regioster" you stilll can't be expelled.
If mrs DDJC leaves you alone then your days start adding up :How anyone one knows is magic ¿?

Cheers Gus, but how does anyone know the clock has reset, since no one stamps or checks passports inside Schengen. I crossed from Italy to Switzerland last week (Simplon Pass), and there was no one at the border crossing at all. When we left at Geneva, we weren't stopped.

So, no one can stay in any single EU country, for more than 90 days, if you are a national of a different EU country?

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
Basically if Mrs DDJC travels on her Irish passport then she is not subject to the 90 days in 180 days. If you travel with her, entering Schengen together, then neither are you. Bear in mind, if you spend more then 90 days consecutively in any one country you may/probably, in theory, be required to register your presence.

Edit:- Whilst I was writing this I now see others have said very similar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Basically if Mrs DDJC travels on her Irish passport then she is not subject to the 90 days in 180 days. If you travel with her, entering Schengen together, then neither are you. Bear in mind, if you spend more then 90 days consecutively in any one country you may/probably, in theory, be required to register your presence.

Edit:- Whilst I was writing this I now see others have said very similar.
I would also add any vehicle in a country too long has to be registered in that country. We had a tenant, from Poland, who had his car seized because he had not registered it here.

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
So, no one can stay in any single EU country, for more than 90 days, if you are a national of a different EU country?
That requirement is, I believe, down to individual countries rules regarding residency and after 180 days/year tax rules, and not 'Schengen rules'.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
So Mrs DDJC has dual nationality, two passports, Irish and British. I only have one, British.

What are the rules regarding how long you can stay in the EU? Is it Schengen dependent, or does it apply to all EU countries?

I have spent a couple of hours trawling websites and basically, I have read several entirely contradictory answers. So, I thought I would ask the experts. If you do have two passports, how does it work? What are the advantages and pitfalls?
Surely you are not trying to find loopholes to get around an agreement you supported/ wanted?

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My passport application just arrived in Dublin yesterday, hopefully all done for my winter trip 😁( it's been a couple of years in the making)I always read these types of threads to see how people get on
Happy motorhoming 😎.
Cheers Cris 🍻

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My passport application just arrived in Dublin yesterday, hopefully all done for my winter trip 😁( it's been a couple of years in the making)I always read these types of threads to see how people get on
Happy motorhoming 😎.
Cheers Cris 🍻
When we looked for Mrs. Odd I was surprised to find that if anyone has an Irish parent, born in Ireland, that person is already Irish and doesn't need to apply for citizenship, just a passport. The passport application takes about 4 weeks once all the documents are together. The most difficult thing for us was finding someone to sign the ID. In the end we got our vet to do it, later she told us that she did have a call from the Irish consulate to confirm her identity.

Now we have that sorted we will try to get a passport for our daughter, that will be more complicated as she will need to register her birth with the Irish authorities. I'm not sure how to do that, but it is possible just takes longer.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
All good information above, but a tad confusing. 🫤

There are two things being mentioned and they are not linked.

First, EU passport holders have an implicit ‘right to roam’ and the good news is if they take their spouse, then they have the same rights inferred. Directive EU2004/38 provides the details you need! In this case 90/180 doesn’t apply to either the EU citizen or the lucky Spouse.

The second thing being mentioned has nothing whatsoever to do with the first point. This is an EU citizen (passport holders) right to remain in any EU members territory. This varies by country but is usually 90 consecutive days! I reiterate again, this has nothing to do with the point above. Several posters have rightly identified that it’s hard to enforce and frankly people touring in a Motorhome aren’t a target for enforcement.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When we looked for Mrs. Odd I was surprised to find that if anyone has an Irish parent, born in Ireland, that person is already Irish and doesn't need to apply for citizenship, just a passport. The passport application takes about 4 weeks once all the documents are together. The most difficult thing for us was finding someone to sign the ID. In the end we got our vet to do it, later she told us that she did have a call from the Irish consulate to confirm her identity.

Now we have that sorted we will try to get a passport for our daughter, that will be more complicated as she will need to register her birth with the Irish authorities. I'm not sure how to do that, but it is possible just takes longer.
Hi, the process for me took a few years ( including office time closed for COVID, to get on the first birth register) I could not track down my grand mothers birth certs ( both grandmothers were born in Dublin) but a registrar in county Covan managed in the end.
I believe your Daughter would have to go down the grandparent route as her mother would have had to have her Irish passport before she was born.this was the same for me as my father not born in Ireland was an Irish citizen but not a passport holder prior to my birth.You should have most of the paperwork for your daughters application.
Good luck and happy travels 😁
Cheers Cris 🍻

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but how does anyone know the clock has reset, since no one stamps or checks passports inside Schengen.
Exactly !
correct but is extremely difficult to enforce & in reality no one bothers.Even here in spain where you are required to register after 90 consecutive days , you'd have to be doing something seriously wrong for them to want to fine you for "failing to register" as I said even if they did an EU citizen still can't be asked to leave nor anyone with them

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I, with my UK passport, travelled with my wife (Danish passport) to the Faroes last month. Couple of days from Rotterdam to Hirtshals for the ferry to the Faroes and out of the EU/Schengen. No passports were or could be stamped on exit so on arrival in Torshavn we asked for a stamp as it would appear we were in the EU for all 30 days away. "Don't do that now, you could try the police". We did, with a similar answer but the suggestion we keep our tickets etc.

I had an update from UK Gov on travel to Germany today (other countries are available) with details on the new entry requirements for November onwards, they are well documented on Fun but here. Among the advice was the same suggestion so it seems we have to keep hold of our travel docs for future journeys.

If you’re a visitor, border guards will look at your entry and exit stamps to check you have not overstayed the 90-day visa-free limit for the Schengen area.

If your passport is missing a stamp, show evidence of when and where you entered or left the Schengen area (for example, boarding passes or tickets) and ask the border guards to add the date and location in your passport.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi, the process for me took a few years ( including office time closed for COVID, to get on the first birth register) I could not track down my grand mothers birth certs ( both grandmothers were born in Dublin) but a registrar in county Covan managed in the end.
I believe your Daughter would have to go down the grandparent route as her mother would have had to have her Irish passport before she was born.this was the same for me as my father not born in Ireland was an Irish citizen but not a passport holder prior to my birth.You should have most of the paperwork for your daughters application.
Good luck and happy travels 😁
Cheers Cris 🍻
I hope it will be ok and we'll use the same certificates we have Already. Luckily we had FIL's birth certificate from when we applied for a passport for him.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
As I have been added to the Irish FBR I can now apply for my passport.
As Mrs Grasscutter will need to prove she is with me what passport control would we use. EU citizen or Non EU Citizen if we were to fly. Obviously no problem with the Motorhome.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
As Mrs Grasscutter will need to prove she is with me what passport control would we use. EU citizen or Non EU Citizen if we were to fly. Obviously no problem with the Motorhome.

I keep getting kicked out of the EU lanes when flying with my EU passported wife. We go in separate lanes now and she waits to check I get through without her needing to get involved…. No issues to date flying, only when in the Motorhome and they think they have an overstayer! 🤣

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Surely you are not trying to find loopholes to get around an agreement you supported/ wanted?
As I understand it, the 90/180 was not completely understood at the time of voting in the referendum.

The 90/180 was what was agreed during the Withdrawal Agreement

We voted remain, I guess now, a lot of people regret their leave vote.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would also add any vehicle in a country too long has to be registered in that country. We had a tenant, from Poland, who had his car seized because he had not registered it here.

I used to see a Mustang on Polish plates parked at Waitrose. It has now disappeared. Gone back to Poland, or seized?

Registering high end cars in Poland is a popular scam used by French lowlifes. No fear of speeding fines ... all correspondence sent to the registered keeper address will be ignored ... :rolleyes:

The example that enraged the minorities involved the notorious failure to stop incident where young recidivist criminal Nahel was fatally shot by a French traffic Cop last year. That brand new bright yellow show-off AMG Merc on Polish plates, driven by a 19-year-old lad "known to Police", was bound to get pulled over sooner or later for a chat. Failure to stop is rather reckless if the Cop has a gun pointed at you and thinks you might be trying to run him over to get away. Bad decision. It was never going to end well for Nahel. A kind of Darwin Award. Nevertheless bound to bring out the Race Card in the "sensitive" zones or banlieus. No winners in such situations.

Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
As I understand it, the 90/180 was not completely understood at the time of voting in the referendum.

I voted remain, and I regret living in a country with a significant amount of numpties

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

The 90/180 rule was well advertised and understood by the Remainers well before the vote.

As was the Freedom of movement rule, which means that the next generation of leavers of education can not spend a summer in the EU pulling pints in a beach bar whilst they figure out what to do with their lives.

Which also means EU students can not come to the UK and pull pints here.
However they will be replaced by long term immigrants from the former Commonwealth countries.

But we must assume the majority were in favour of these restrictions, otherwise they would not have voted for them.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Hi can I ask how long it took you get added to the FBR database. My application was acknowledged in April this year, have read on the website stating 9 months approx time to completion.
Just wondering as you have first hand experience of it.
Thanks
Kenny.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I voted remain, and I regret living in a country with a significant amount of numpties
By significant you mean the majority of the country, you could always leave of course!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Brexit has made leaving a whole lot harder, more complicated and expensive, if you want to move to Europe. Thanks to numpties.
I voted remain, and I regret living in a country with a significant amount of numpties.
You are turning what was a sensible discussion into a thread that's heading for the Belly Locker, keep your opinions to yourself unless it adds to the discussion!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi can I ask how long it took you get added to the FBR database. My application was acknowledged in April this year, have read on the website stating 9 months approx time to completion.
Just wondering as you have first hand experience of it.
Thanks
Kenny.
Applied online and posted all documents mid August 23.
Acknowledged documents received end of September 23
Acceptance received September 24.
I did ring in August and was told it was being processed and I should hear soon.
So it’s currently one year.
Good luck.

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
You are turning what was a sensible discussion into a thread that's heading for the Belly Locker, keep your opinions to yourself unless it adds to the discussion!
Says someone, who is suggesting another poster could leave the country.Pot,kettle,black.
I shan't comment anymore because it's pointless with some folk.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Applied online and posted all documents mid August 23.
Acknowledged documents received end of September 23
Acceptance received September 24.
I did ring in August and was told it was being processed and I should hear soon.
So it’s currently one year.
Good luck.
Thanks for that much appreciated. 👌

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back