Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
Before retiring, I travelled south at night to spend as much holiday time as possible in the sun. Since retiring, I never drive at night and take my time to enjoy every minute of the journey.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 1974
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

I find that a pair of yellow tinted night glasses which you can get from most petrol stations help to cut down the glare

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
There are night driving glasses available, my has a pair as she can't stand the glare. I tried them, they turn the oncoming lights to a yellow glow. There OK, but if you are already wearing specs it would be a problem. Additionally, I noted when there was no traffic oncoming the glasses dimmed your view of the road ahead. Nice for passengers though, and might help them stay awake 🤣🤣.
Mike
I got my second pair of varifocals made up with the night driving tint. The young optician said he wouldn't drive without them. They arrived. Bliss. Soft yellow glow. I'm happy. Makes it all more possible to drive at night.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The last twice we've been 'over the water' we've caught the afternoon ferry, arriving at just about dusk.
We've then gone down the road for an hour or so to an identified Aire.

On the first occasion, I was surprised at the amount of traffic that was about as I thought the French didn't go out and about at night but after a few mins. I was more than comfy with driving.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There are special night driving glasses - anyone tried them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Isn't The Wino a retired optician? He should have a view on this.

I previously used yellow tinted lenses for cycling and definitely thought they helped, but I see that it's generally not recommended by official bodies that one should use the night driving glasses.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Isn't @The Wino (not sure how to link to the name) a retired optician? He should have a view on this.

I previously used yellow tinted lenses for cycling and definitely thought they helped, but I see that it's generally not recommended by official bodies that one should use the night driving glasses.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
La Strada
I found that although I use varifocal glasses normally, a pair of ordinary single vision lenses has cut down nighttime glare no end ..

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
At 58 if i want to cover distance I'd always choose to travel late evening into early morning, especially abroad as the volume of traffic is so much less.

The downside is that you see nothing of the countryside, and you can, on occasion, run into overnight roadworks that totally scupper your plans.

Cheers
Red.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
At 58 if i want to cover distance I'd always choose to travel late evening into early morning, especially abroad as the volume of traffic is so much less.

The downside is that you see nothing of the countryside, and you can, on occasion, run into overnight roadworks that totally scupper your plans.

Cheers
Red.
Precisely why I would never do that.

Likes collected
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
It used to be our preferred time to travel distances. In our caravan days pack the sleepy kids in pyjamas into the back seat for a leisurely night-time drive. On to motorhomes; set off about 10:00pm, early morning shuttle, Cite Europe aire for a few hours sleep then ready for the French motorways with a good day before us.
Now if our pm shuttle is delayed and I've got to drive for a while in the dark I find it a real nuisance. Someone said to me the. other day, "headlights seem brighter than when I was younger," and of course they are. LEDs are so much brighter and eyes are so much older.

Anything to do with a cataract will affect your night driving

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and you can, on occasion, run into overnight roadworks that totally scupper your plans.
& after they put up the first "deviation" sign & send you off in to the netherworld & there are no more signs.You are lost .condemned to spend the rest of the night circling vainly for your original route :rofl:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Holdsworth
Exp
Since 2016
I’m the same, night driving is a pain but recently from a charity shop no less. My favourite places. I purchased a 2 Perspex coloured glass visor you fix to your built in sun visor. One grey daytime and one yellow night time. To my amazement they both work quite well. As the light changes I can swap them quite easily. Worth a punt if not too expensive, glare reduced from those awful bulbs they use nowadays and the day when it’s very sunny. Maybe look out for them.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
& after they put up the first "deviation" sign & send you off in to the netherworld & there are no more signs.You are lost .condemned to spend the rest of the night circling vainly for your original route :rofl:
Know that feeling, we're coming back from Harwich a few years ago on the dreaded A14 after clearing customs, as we got towards Kettering it flashed up A14 Closed follow Diversion It took us off the A14 and in towards Kettering Town Centre and chaos! Brilliant trick, they(persons unknown) had re aligned/altered all the diversion signs so everyone was driving around and around Kettering Town Centre at 11 o'clock at night in one ever-increasing circle of slow moving traffic going nowhere! Great trick, but not when you just want to get home!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back