Tour Guide Wanted Driving to Albania: Weather Concerns and Route Tips (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We are planning to drive down to Albania starting mid-September. Our plan is to drive down through France (stopping in Metz to see friends), Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania. Then, we will either return via the same route or possibly via a ferry from Albania to Ancona in Italy. We expect to arrive back in the UK around mid-November.

I'm assuming that the weather will be fine on the way there but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to consider whether there might be snow on the drive back. We intend doing our meandering on the way south then to stick to main roads on the way home since it will be colder and darker as we head north.

Does anyone have any experience of those routes? Will I need winter tyres?

Thanks.
Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 13.26.17.png

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I should think you would be okay on the main roads but you will need Winter tyres on your route (Austria from 1st Nov)

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Your proposed route mirrors our own return trip from Greece up until Munich. I don't forsee any weather problems if you stick to the main roads. Snow tyres are required by both Austria and Germany, also parts of eastern France from the end of October, however as a non - resident the question of having 'snow/winter tyres' only becomes applicable if you are involved in an accident or prevent circulation of traffic due to having incorrect tyres fitted. Buy a set of snow chains on the 'off - chance' you might possibly need them, or more likely be stopped by the over enthusiastic Austrian police.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back