Driving an Autotrail Apache 700 (4250kgs) with mild neuropathy

apachekid

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Hi all,
this is my 1st post so please forive any fopar's. I have reached the ripe old age of 70 and have applied to renew my licence, which tbh all I thought it would entail is paying the licence fee and waiting for my licence..... Wrong!! So here is my issue. Although I am not registered disabled and I am not diabetic, I have a very mild form of neuropathy in my feet. I have been driving fine for years with it and can still feel the pedal pressure. I had to come clean with DVLA when I applied to renew and tell them as I had to pay £150 for a medical with my GP. The GP did not seem to have any reservations about me driving which I was pleased about. However my worry is that DVLA will say that I cannot drive anymore because of it. I have read all the stuff on DVLA's web site about neuralogical conditions and it all seems to suggest that will be theri decision. We sunk our life savings into the motorhome purchase a year of so ago and have yet to use it due to a dispute that is on going with the dealer. What I dont want to be in a position of is, having a motorhome stuck in a storage compound and not be able to take it out for its weekly trip up the road and back again to keep things moving and working. Does anyone know or have any experience as to whether you can still drive a motorhome if you have mild neuropathy. I know I could get, at a push, the vehicle adapted, but dont want to go down this route, because we probably would end up with a horrendous insurance quote, which would probably mean we'd have to give it up. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has gone through the same experience and what outcomes you had to deal with. Many thanks in advance

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Does anyone know or have any experience as to whether you can still drive a motorhome if you have mild neuropathy. I know I could get, at a push, the vehicle adapted, but dont want to go down this route, because we probably would end up with a horrendous insurance quote,
Not quite the same but but I've been driving my adapted m/bikes, cars and motorhome one-armed for 14 years. Fully declared to the DVLA. However, under the Disability Discrimination Act insurers are forbidden from raising premiums because of any disability.

OP
OP
A

apachekid

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Not quite the same but but I've been driving my m/bikes, cars and motorhome one-armed for 14 years. Fully declared to the DVLA. However, under the Disability Discrimination Act insurers are forbidden from raising premiums because of any disability.
Was told by one ins company that any increase is because of the cost of the new equipments cost in the event of an accident and they need to repair it. So the way I read that is that they don't, but they do. They just word it differently lol!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630
What sort of neuropathy is it, Motor or sensory and it is almost certainly degenerative and what is causing it. Ultimately it lies with your GP and their perception of functional deficit. If you have not even taken delivery yet due to dealer problems, it may be worth negotiating early.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Was told by one ins company that any increase is because of the cost of the new equipments cost in the event of an accident and they need to repair it. So the way I read that is that they don't, but they do. They just word it differently lol!
Correct, that's legitimately due to the increased vehicle repair/replacement value not a driver disability. It's no different from declaring, say an added towbar or solar panel system etc, because you want them covered. My adaptations for each vehicle cost me about £1200 and I didn't notice any increase in my premiums vs before I needed them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

apachekid

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Correct, that's legitimately due to the increased vehicle repair/replacement value not a driver disability. It's no different from declaring, say an added towbar or solar panel system etc, because you want them covered. My adaptations for each vehicle cost me about £1200 and I didn't notice any increase in my premiums vs before I needed them.
i'm starting to get a warm feeling then.... lol

OP
OP
A

apachekid

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
What sort of neuropathy is it, Motor or sensory and it is almost certainly degenerative and what is causing it. Ultimately it lies with your GP and their perception of functional deficit. If you have not even taken delivery yet due to dealer problems, it may be worth negotiating early.

OP
OP
A

apachekid

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Sensory only, as far as I am aware. Its classed as ideopathic (or do they mean pathetic idiot lol) in other words they do not know. As for the MH we already have it but we are trying to sue them but its a very bumpy road so far with not many people prepared to get involved. Dealers get away with murder...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630
Sensory only, as far as I am aware. Its classed as ideopathic (or do they mean pathetic idiot lol) in other words they do not know. As for the MH we already have it but we are trying to sue them but its a very bumpy road so far with not many people prepared to get involved. Dealers get away with murder...
Two separate issues there but If your GP is willing to sign the forms then it should be no obstacle. Slight rabbit hole but ideopathic is almost worse due to cause unknown.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back