Driving a Motor Home with Full Cat B + Revenue Weight and Plated Weight (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MercW

Free Member
Jul 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
IVECO
Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum and I got a question regarding driving a Camper converted Mini Bus on the road.

Situation as follows:

My driving license: Full Cat B (Which allows to drive Mini Bus up to 3500kgs)
Revenue Weight: on the V5C Revenue Weight is mentioned as 4350kgs
Plated weight: There is a second weight plate on the van mentioning the vehicle has been down plated to 3500kgs

Questions:
1. As I have a weight plate mentioning that the vehicle is 3500kgs, is there an issue with having 4350kg as "revenue weight" while driving on the road?

2. Is my license legality connected to the Weight plate weight on the vehicle or the revenue weight on the v5C?

3. I called DVLA twice now, one person said I need to resubmit a revenue weight reduction to 3500kgs and the second person said there is no issue with driving the vehicle if I have a plate that says its 3500kgs and the revenue weight doesn't matter.

I saw some forum discussions similar to my case but I'm very confused as i got two completely different answers when I called up the DVLA. Appreciate if you can help me any way possible.

Thanks in Advance!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The legality is with the plated weight. So 3500kg. If you down grade the Revenue Weight you will pay more road tax.
The latest plate is the one to use. It sounds like your vehicle has been downplated to allow it to be driven by non C1 drivers and hence more saleable.

Welcome to the Fun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MercW

Free Member
Jul 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
IVECO
The legality is with the plated weight. So 3500kg. If you down grade the Revenue Weight you will pay more road tax.
The latest plate is the one to use. It sounds like your vehicle has been downplated to allow it to be driven by non C1 drivers and hence more saleable.

Welcome to the Fun.
Thanks David and Sally!

Yes, the minibus has been down-plated by the previous owner, and I was worried about driving this on the road as the Revenue weight says 4350 kgs on V5C and except for the weight plate on the van there is no documented proof about it being 3500kgs

Any idea if there is an issue with insurance, roadside assistance, etc., with v5c revenue weight of 4350kgs and plate saying 3500kgs?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks David and Sally!

Yes, the minibus has been down-plated by the previous owner, and I was worried about driving this on the road as the Revenue weight says 4350 kgs on V5C and except for the weight plate on the van there is no documented proof about it being 3500kgs

Any idea if there is an issue with insurance, roadside assistance, etc., with v5c revenue weight of 4350kgs and plate saying 3500kgs?
Who issued the latest plate? DBK above might have hit the nail on the head. Maybe post a photo of it.
The plated weight is the one any roadside check will worry about. If I read it right the revenue weight will not be of interest to your insurers nor will roadside recovery. All they need to know is plated weight and that you do not exceed that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MercW

Free Member
Jul 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
IVECO
I suspect the previous might have downplated it but not told DVLC so they didn't have to pay more tax. Or they just forgot. :)
Thanks DBK, I assume so too. Is this revenue weight an issue to drive this minibus on the road?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MercW

Free Member
Jul 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
IVECO
Who issued the latest plate? DBK above might have hit the nail on the head. Maybe post a photo of it.
The plated weight is the one any roadside check will worry about. If I read it right the revenue weight will not be of interest to your insurers nor will roadside recovery. All they need to know is plated weight and that you do not exceed that.
Yes, I think DBK is right too, he might not have submitted the downplaying to DVLA maybe.

Its done by a company called Northern Commercials back in 2021. They have a sticker next to the original weight plate with 3500kgs on it.

Thats a relief to know that revenue weight doesn't affect for insurance and roadside recovery, as everywhere we have put this in as a 3500kgs vehicle

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, I think DBK is right too, he might not have submitted the downplaying to DVLA maybe.

Its done by a company called Northern Commercials back in 2021. They have a sticker next to the original weight plate with 3500kgs on it.

Thats a relief to know that revenue weight doesn't affect for insurance and roadside recovery, as everywhere we have put this in as a 3500kgs vehicle
That’s you out of free posts now, time to cough up twenty quid. 🤭

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The only things slightly bugging me is whether Northern Commercials have the authority to issue a new plate ( they probably have) and why they didn’t advise DVLA. (They might have done but ignored the weight) When we upplated SvTech printed a pukka weight plate together with a certificate and copy plate for the DVLA. These I sent off to the DVLA and all paperwork and the new V5 were returned all in order. Revenue weight and Max Mass both changed.

Anyway, sounds like you have done everything you could to cover yourself. You could apply to DVLA with photos of the various plates to add the 3500kg Max Permissable to a new V5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
But if they run a check with DVLA it will come up with 4350.
Then the OP needs to get DVLA to change that too to 3500kg?

The driving licence info only refers to MAM, not Revenue weight.

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997​

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997​

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats.

You can tow a trailer that weighs up to 3,500kg MAM.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

Non-disabled drivers can no longer ride motor tricycles with a provisional category B licence.

Category B auto​

You can drive a category B vehicle - but only an automatic one.

So, to me, that means the plated weight is the one to watch.?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes. MAM or plated weight over 3500, but Revenue weight?
Surely that’s why convertors apply a 3500kg plated weight to allow non C1 to drive.
A converter does not have the authority to change the plated weight just by putting on a new plate. They first need to get the DVLA's agreement to the change.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Also the OP will not be paying the correct VED (car tax) and this in itself is an offence (fraud) and could lead to prosecution.

DVSA will check Revenue weight, when deciding whether to pull a vehicle in for weighing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back