Dreamer camper five - opinions welcome! (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
I’ve got a caravan
Hello experts!

Does anyone own, or have an opinion on the Dreamer Camper Five PVC, with a drop down bed and fixed bunk beds please?

My partner and I are very tall with 2 small kids and a cocker spaniel (so transverse doesn’t work, we tried a wildax and feet/ head touched the sides).

We were tenting, then bought a Xplore 304 caravan and are now looking to move into the campervan world. Our drive is exactly 6.3m so can just squeeze a 6.36m campervan on. I like the idea of it being thinner than a CB and we won’t have to make up beds which we have to do in the caravan daily. Also like the idea of a rear space for the kids. If you have any other recommendations please do let me know.

We’re new to the forum so if I’ve done anything wrong please let me know..!

Thanks for your help and advice.(y)

https://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-camperfive.php
Walk around

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Good point. Thanks. We do manage with our caravan 135kg payload but then again we carry our heaviest items in the car. I have a C1 but not my partner.
The payload number varies by manufacture, but it generally assumes a driver and half a tank of fuel. So add 3 people. If you're wild camping, water weighs a lot. The gas bottle. Any extras like the awning and solar need to be considered. And some manufacturers play loose with their claimed figures too. Some 6m vans have very little payload if you need to stay under 3.5t.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Quartet
Following this as we have the same requirements and Dreamer was suggested on this forum as meeting the same brief as our current Autocruise Quartet. Main issue for us is my wife doesn't want anything wider than a PVC, so rules out A- or C-class, regardless of length. We managed fine in the 6m Quartet with GK's age 10 & 8, though the bunk headroom is already getting tight for them.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
A drop down bed is a fixed bed BUT will likely require a ladder to access, not particularly comfortable on bare feet in my experience .... especially in the middle of the night.
As regards recommending a layout, to be honest there are probably dozens that may meet your needs. If you simplify your needs, wants, price range, age and mileage then perhaps others can also add suggestions?

The three most important things in my opinion are layout, closely followed by layout and then finally layout ...... You can add bits but you can't change the layout.

Top of our must have or walk away list were fixed bed for us and drop down electric for the grandchildren (so we didn't have to make beds up every night), large fridge 4 seat belts, decent toilet and shower and an oven. Our wants were all things that could be added if they weren't already installed, LPG, sat dish, solar, B2B, microwave

If we were looking again, we must have fixed bed, facility to add cabbunk, large fridge (pref compressor), min 4 seat belts, decent toilet and shower, refillable lpg and look to add massive lithium, solar, B2B, large inverter and go almost entirely electric and cook using air fryer, microwave, pizze oven and George foreman grill. We don't care about an oven anymore, much prefer a microwave and air fryer. Being able to flick a switch for drinks in bed in the morning whilst being parked up without EHU is so much better as is cooking on a GF grill and not worrying about the gas blowing out. I'm not sure I would even bother with the sat dish now either ....and might actually remove it. It's great for the UK but I'm no longer convinced we 'need' or even 'want' one.

I think the discussion on cabbunks is one for a different thread ....as it really isn't about motorhomes themselves but rather on what you can add to them!

PS ours is an Adria 670 SLT but too long for you, but the two single bed configuration actually gives us a much larger bathroom across the back, so don't rule out single beds
Their biggest problem with your suggestion is finding a fixed bed setup big enough for tall people plus a drop down bed in 6.36m max, not sure I’ve ever seen that. We looked at the Adria and lovely vehicle, bought the Chausson 640 for bigger dropdown and gives 2 good sleeping underneath for the occasional times we have kids with us, as for someone complaining about the ladder comfort then ours is fine but I suppose depends on users weight of course 🥺

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
The US equivalent to what you are looking fir is a Winnebago Solis 59PX. It comes, by default, with generator and airco (essential for a van in USA in anything other than winter) and a pop-top, which people use in winter with special insulation. It sits on a Fiat Ducatto 6.4 (branded as Ram Promaster, but identical except for petrol engine). I've used one on a couple of trips.

Coments:
  • default max weigth is 4,250 kg (no 3,500kg license limit in USA), so whatever you do think about paying to get yourself a C1 (about £1k I believe) and uprating whatever PVC you buy (couple of £ks)
  • Pop-top is comfortable and surprisingly spacious - so don't discount it but do get specially designed insulation (maybe search US sites)
  • Van comes with a self- inflating, specially designed air mattress to go across the front seats (facing forward) which is reported to make a comfortable bed for teenagers ($500 if bought separately)

Good luck, I fear you will need it to meet all your desires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubySparkles
May 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
I’ve got a caravan
The payload number varies by manufacture, but it generally assumes a driver and half a tank of fuel. So add 3 people. If you're wild camping, water weighs a lot. The gas bottle. Any extras like the awning and solar need to be considered. And some manufacturers play loose with their claimed figures too. Some 6m vans have very little payload if you need to stay under 3.5t.
I shall have to find out what they can replate it to.

As it’s a paper exercise with no changes to the van… I was wondering how often to people get stopped to check the weight anyway?

I’ve never been stopped in the caravan… just wondering.. is it annual or only if you crash…!?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubySparkles
May 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
I’ve got a caravan
The US equivalent to what you are looking fir is a Winnebago Solis 59PX. It comes, by default, with generator and airco (essential for a van in USA in anything other than winter) and a pop-top, which people use in winter with special insulation. It sits on a Fiat Ducatto 6.4 (branded as Ram Promaster, but identical except for petrol engine). I've used one on a couple of trips.

Coments:
  • default max weigth is 4,250 kg (no 3,500kg license limit in USA), so whatever you do think about paying to get yourself a C1 (about £1k I believe) and uprating whatever PVC you buy (couple of £ks)
  • Pop-top is comfortable and surprisingly spacious - so don't discount it but do get specially designed insulation (maybe search US sites)
  • Van comes with a self- inflating, specially designed air mattress to go across the front seats (facing forward) which is reported to make a comfortable bed for teenagers ($500 if bought separately)

Good luck, I fear you will need it to meet all your desires.
I shall have to take a look. Although was trying to avoid a pop top if possible. Thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubySparkles
May 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
I’ve got a caravan
Following this as we have the same requirements and Dreamer was suggested on this forum as meeting the same brief as our current Autocruise Quartet. Main issue for us is my wife doesn't want anything wider than a PVC, so rules out A- or C-class, regardless of length. We managed fine in the 6m Quartet with GK's age 10 & 8, though the bunk headroom is already getting tight for them.
Awesome. Thanks! Love the look of those bunk beds and understand what you mean.

After all these amazing replies I’m thinking… we have to give up something… I’m feeling like it’s going to be space for stuff… so maybe miss out the optional oven… and the rest is all about taking less stuff and intelligent packing. We won’t ever get what we want in a van by the sounds of it , until they’ve flown the nest.

The feedback around growing out of it in several years drove me to the article about buying your 3rd van 1st. So maybe I’ll just buy my first van… make the memories with the kids until they are teenagers and then worry about the 2nd/3rd van..!

If we can pack everything we need for 6 weeks in a car, including a 6 man inflatable tent, and a kitchen sink, I really believe we can do it in a campervan. The kids have a limit that everything they want to take for the entire summer has to fit in a 28L backpack (excluding hiking boots and waterproofs).

Fingers crossed we can make something work.

Upvote 0

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
They're very nice vans & very sought after, we have a Dreamer D55 Select & love it. For a family they're tight IMHO, but there are families out there that love them. Rapido Dreamer Motorhomes on FB has many members with them & they sometimes come up used on there - might be worth asking for advice or to see if anyone is selling?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubySparkles
May 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
I’ve got a caravan
They're very nice vans & very sought after, we have a Dreamer D55 Select & love it. For a family they're tight IMHO, but there are families out there that love them. Rapido Dreamer Motorhomes on FB has many members with them & they sometimes come up used on there - might be worth asking for advice or to see if anyone is selling?
Thanks mad dog. I’ll take a look. I’ve also not decided on 1 specific van. I’m looking for options.

There have been countless times when we’ve been camping on site over a 6 week summer and a family of 4 have been able to do the same with a VW California which have much less room then all of the suggestions above and when I’ve spoken to them they seem quite content. My partners only requirement throughout has been to have a toilet and less bed building!

Cheers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks mad dog. I’ll take a look. I’ve also not decided on 1 specific van. I’m looking for options.

There have been countless times when we’ve been camping on site over a 6 week summer and a family of 4 have been able to do the same with a VW California which have much less room then all of the suggestions above and when I’ve spoken to them they seem quite content. My partners only requirement throughout has been to have a toilet and less bed building!

Cheers!
I presume in the California, they had a pop top, awning, and they only went to sites with full facilities.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It looks like a lovely van. I couldn’t pack it for 4 but I bet my future son-in-law could. He is a true minimalist. He doesn’t buy anything new until the old stuff wears out. Claire bought him a T shirt at Christmas. He plans on taking it when they move to Panama in November! He folds like Marie Kondo, does all Claire’s now they live together.

Most of us have far too much stuff. We’re not long back from 7 weeks in Spain. I bet we didn’t wear half our clothes and the only reason we wore as much as we did was because the weather was so bad at the beginning we needed our winter stuff.

It’s easy enough to find a washing machine.

We have a PVC.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back