Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
We have a Thetford Duplex 700 grill / oven in our Chausson. It’s extremely draughty and when it’s dark inside the van I can see daylight around the top (but not between the unit and the van, but within the unit itself).

Could there something missing from my install that would make it so draughty?

I’ve only started noticing it properly this weekend as it’s very windy out and has been so strong to blow the tea towel we’re hanging on the oven handle off!

Rich

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Wow! I thought the draught from the floor vent under the fridge in our caravan was bad enough.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I used to have a Flash 10 with a grill (only) over the fridge and that was the same. Couldn't use it at all if there was a slight breeze as the light blew out. Pretty useless I'm afraid. A lot of people have them replaced with a microwave or just use the space for another cupboard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We used to have a rapido that was so draughty around the oven we had to put a towel over it you could see daylight through the gaps .

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
They must be similar to the built in ovens in kitchens. They need ventilation to work and help keep them cool so there will be a hole somewhere ... Picture below is from their manual.
oven.png

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We used to have a Flash 14 and that was very draughty around the grill/oven. Mum was forever putting something around it to stop it blowing when we weren't using it.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hope you have a carbon monoxide detector....

Shouldn’t they be sealed like the fridge..?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In the immortal words of car sales men.

They are all like that sir :D

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Nope, how are you going to seal the flame with the door open.:)
That aside they are only run for a short time fridges are on 24/7.

Dewknow, I thought about that after and realised gas cookers in the house don’t have vents....:doh:

One of my brain dead moments.... seem to be having a few lately :Eeek:

Still it is sill early, for me.....:D2

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
They must be similar to the built in ovens in kitchens. They need ventilation to work and help keep them cool so there will be a hole somewhere ... Picture below is from their manual.
View attachment 276821

That’s just a gas drop out vent which should be installed at every appliance and joint in the supply pipe work .
There will only probably be air circulation around the cabinet rather than any outside ventilation.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Dewknow, I thought about that after and realised gas cookers in the house don’t have vents....:doh:

One of my brain dead moments.... seem to be having a few lately :Eeek:

Still it is sill early, for me.....:D2

You do realise you've let the side down.
After all I've taught you, you still know bugger all :D

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
smevs are better oven for this, the instruction say they have to go into a sealed box the frame around the oven allows ventilation and gas drop out into the van

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Hope you have a carbon monoxide detector....

Shouldn’t they be sealed like the fridge..?
Yes, multiple in fact as I wanted to put one lower than our bottom bunk.

The oven and fridge below it both don’t have any draughts between them and the van from fitting but it seems the oven itself in this case

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There will only probably be air circulation around the cabinet rather than any outside ventilation.
If a low level over it should have a vent in the wall behind the top of the oven, high level ovens usually have a roof vent, ours has a roof vent.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If a low level over it should have a vent in the wall behind the top of the oven, high level ovens usually have a roof vent, ours has a roof vent.
Only certain makes our Thetford rubbish doesn’t but the old Smev’s we’ve had do have additional ventilation.
As with everything the manufacturers instructions over rule all other regulations.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to have a Flash 10 with a grill (only) over the fridge and that was the same. Couldn't use it at all if there was a slight breeze as the light blew out. Pretty useless I'm afraid. A lot of people have them replaced with a microwave or just use the space for another cupboard.

Someone managed to smash the glass door on ours (hint it wasn't me) thinking it might work faster if the door was closed. We replaced the useless grill with a microwave.

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019

Interesting, ours is high level (situated above a fridge freezer) but has the same size vent as the fridge immediately above it. If I stand in front of the unit both are in and the wind blows I might as well be outside. Pretty sure that can’t be right.

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
View attachment 276821

My vent is directly opposite where the control is on this diagram so wind blows straight through. Seems like a bit of a design flaw by Chausson.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting, ours is high level (situated above a fridge freezer) but has the same size vent as the fridge immediately above it. If I stand in front of the unit both are in and the wind blows I might as well be outside. Pretty sure that can’t be right.
As long as the fridge is completely sealed it's OK but lousy design. If the back of the fridge is exposed to the same area I would say it's dangerous.

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
As long as the fridge is completely sealed it's OK but lousy design. If the back of the fridge is exposed to the same area I would say it's dangerous.

Ah yes, I see. We've just got home from our weekend trip in the MH, so I'll check tomorrow if they share the same space behind.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seem to recall the same thing when we had a Chausson so I just filled the gap between the grill and the cabinet work, this then just left the top vent at the front of the grill which allowed any air through so I just covered it up when not in use ... can't remember what with though!

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
I seem to recall the same thing when we had a Chausson so I just filled the gap between the grill and the cabinet work, this then just left the top vent at the front of the grill which allowed any air through so I just covered it up when not in use ... can't remember what with though!

The grill (and fridge below it) are flush with the cabinet, I can’t feel any air from there, it just seems that the actual grill unit itself is draughty! I’m looking at some winter vent covers, forgot to measure my vents though so will next time I have the van out of storage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The grill (and fridge below it) are flush with the cabinet, I can’t feel any air from there, it just seems that the actual grill unit itself is draughty! I’m looking at some winter vent covers, forgot to measure my vents though so will next time I have the van out of storage.
Where on the grill is the draught coming from?

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Where on the grill is the draught coming from?

The panel on the top that has the Thetford logo and the control knob.

Where that panel meets the frame there’s a small gap around I can see daylight through and obviously blows a gale through.

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
This is our model, and shows holes both at the top and bottom (which I hadnt noticed before) https://www.thetford-europe.com/international/en-001/products/cooking-appliances/ovens/duplex-12v

Makes me think there’s something missing from our install but not sure what I can do about it? Looking at pictures of Chausson Flash 03’s online with similar layouts all show the same vent size and positions as we have (ruling out any modifications a previous owner may have made), but can’t believe they sold these new this draughty?

Edit: the link I found on thetford’s site is actually our model

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There are vents above the oven in my hymer that you can see right through to outside from and it's seriously draughty.
So I made these little thermal covers that Velcro over the vent when oven is not in use
20190115_205008.jpg
20190115_205032.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back